Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Off-duty/retired LEO in states with mag capacity limits

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In Jersey it's a money maker for the ranges. They all charge just like any other class open to public.

I just looked at a popular gun range in northern NJ, and the retired police officer/LEOSA qual is $70.
    That's unfortunate for the RLEOs. There are probably a few like that in PA. The bulk of the PA FI list is made up of active-duty folks who are academy instructors. There may be a few looking to make a buck but I think they are the exception. Like everything else LE, its probably a regional cultural difference.

This is NC’s process, copy/pasted from the link below:

*The retired officer may qualify with the agency from which he/she retired. Under this scenario, the agency is responsible for providing documentation to the retired officer to verify their completion of the annual in-service firearms training and qualification requirements. No documentation would have to be submitted to the Criminal Justice Standards Commission by the agency or the officer; (Read: free) or,

*The retired officer may go to a Commission certified law enforcement Specialized Firearms Instructor and complete the training and qualification and then apply to the Criminal Justice Standards Commission for certification under the new Retired Law Enforcement Officers Firearms Qualification Certification Program. (Read: pay the Commission some money).

https://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-...arms-Cert.aspx

My agency is set to have a boat load of retirements over the next 5 years, including Grizzly21 and me. I’m submitting a policy change that will hopefully allow us to participate in yearly qualifications so as to alleviate paying fees to Training & Standards, even though it’s a nominal one.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Who has to pay every year as well? Instructors? Are you talking about NC or another state?
    Here in AZ, instructors are certified with DPS. You pay the instructor a fee (I've been quoted fees ranging from $20 to $40) to qualify. You shoot the same 50 round AZ POST course required of active officers. You then pay DPS a $20 fee to get your card. Turnaround time is pretty quick, usually less than a week.

I retired from CA. My CA CCW approved ID expires every 5 years. I have to travel back to my CA PD, be fingerprinted and fire a 10 round "qualification" which I understand is the same one used by LAPD to get a "New" ID. They don't charge anything, but my travel expenses, food and lodging to make the 2 day round trip run about $500.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Like I said earlier, there's assholes and idiots everywhere. I'm guessing that sometimes the stars align just right for you to meet that special guy who is feeling particularly feisty that day.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ... IME the NJSP are generally petty pricks and have been for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Remember that the majority of Chief Law Enforcement officers are political appointees, and it all makes more sense.
    I wonder if they are subject to getting jammed up by a supervisor reviewing dash cam footage if they let someone slide.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I worked for two sheriff's departments and learned that Texas troopers will ticket other officers for traffic violations. In some instances they will stop marked patrol cars if they think that the city or county officer is driving too fast. Perhaps their training brings about a sense of superiority. I don't fault their dedication, competence, or contribution but do disagree with the enhanced hall monitoring mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Pricks are everywhere, in every agency. Some agencies have more than others for sure. I’ve been stopped by TX DPS for speeding in both Gov and private cars and never had a bad experience.
    Thankfully, none of the troopers that work in my county are like this, AFAIK.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I wonder if they are subject to getting jammed up by a supervisor reviewing dash cam footage if they let someone slide
    First point: Not arresting someone for carrying a gun after they ID themselves as a LEO isn't letting them slide.

Second point: I can almost guarantee you that NJSP does not have a practice of supervisors reviewing dash cam footage trying to jam up troopers for letting other LEOs slide during stops. I'll go so far to danger that "professional courtesy" will get you out of more trouble in NJ than anywhere else in America.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-20-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

^^^^^
    My language was somewhat loose for "toeing the line on gun stuff", but fair points all around. I've never been to NY/NJ, and have no immediate plans to do so.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-20-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    People tend to generalize based on one incident or on a small sample of experiences. If truth be known, NJ cops most likely share traits with all other cops in the nation. Although I will try not to generalize, I will speculate that the VAST majority of NJ cops will extend themselves in helping fellow officers as they also help out the guy in the street. It may be that what we read about here regarding NJ cops and certain behavior toward their colleagues is not typical.

Highway patrol troopers seem to have a most rigorous training program. One result may be that young graduates have a high degree of fervor. That's a good thing. I've never got a real speeding ticket from a Texas trooper but have received a couple of warning tickets from them. In January I will have been driving for 56 years. I brag that I've only had 4 tickets. Actually, I've received at least 10 tickets. 6 were warning tickets from troopers in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas. You might say that the troopers that pulled me over weren't afflicted with excess fervor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I wonder if they are subject to getting jammed up by a supervisor reviewing dash cam footage if they let someone slide.
    In the case of the NJSP, this behavior predates dash cam video by decades. As noted their outrageous treatment of LEOs and civilian gun owners passing through NJ in the 1970s and 80s, as documented in congressional tesitmony played a big part in the passage of the Firearms Owners Protection Act in the mid-1980s.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-20-2018 at 08:26 PM.

User Tag List