Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Off-duty/retired LEO in states with mag capacity limits

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Here in western NC the local sheriff is only too happy to have us qualify at their range sessions regardless of what LE outfit we formerly worked for.
    See? It’s really not all that hard to play the legal hand that’s dealt, and try to get along.

Anything less is just assholic behavior, and I’m not even coming to this from an LE viewpoint.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A guy I workout with is a commercial airline pilot and a Federal Flight Deck Officer. He lives in CT and flies out of Newark, NJ. Next time I see him I will have to ask if he is effected by the NJ law.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    A guy I workout with is a commercial airline pilot and a Federal Flight Deck Officer. He lives in CT and flies out of Newark, NJ. Next time I see him I will have to ask if he is effected by the NJ law.
    Within the scope of his FFDO duties / issued gun/mags etc there is no effect just like any other Federal LEO or military member. What the Fed agency says within the scope of Federal law goes - it doesn’t matter what NJ or CT say.

Would you wonder if military members assigned to Ft Dix or picatinny arsenal were effected in their official capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    See? It’s really not all that hard to play the legal hand that’s dealt, and try to get along.

Anything less is just assholic behavior, and I’m not even coming to this from an LE viewpoint.
    Remember that the majority of Chief Law Enforcement officers are political appointees, and it all makes more sense.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Remember that the majority of Chief Law Enforcement officers are political appointees, and it all makes more sense.
    #truth

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post

Bet you know which candidate I vote for for county sheriff.

(Hint: It's the one that welcomes me to qualify with his deputies anytime I like and replies annually to my emails expressing my sincere appreciation.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Bet you know which candidate I vote for for county sheriff.

(Hint: It's the one that welcomes me to qualify with his deputies anytime I like and replies annually to my emails expressing my sincere appreciation.)
    You're fortunate that he will let you do that. From what I understand, T&S maintains a list of local firearms instructors that Retired LEO's can seek out to get the yearly qualifications completed through. The only problem I have is that, from what I understand, they charge for the service.

After I get through the new year I am going to research it and see if my administration will allow me to do it at our range, free of charge.

You're fortunate that he will let you do that. From what I understand, T&S maintains a list of local firearms instructors that Retired LEO's can seek out to get the yearly qualifications completed through. The only problem I have is that, from what I understand, they charge for the service.

After I get through the new year I am going to research it and see if my administration will allow me to do it at our range, free of charge.
    First time I went, I asked the then lieutenant, (now captain), what I should pay to the sheriff's office for the kindness. He said "nothing at all", that "we're all in the same boat and we consider you part of the fraternity, retired or not". That went a long way toward demonstrating the character of the department in my view.

I always make it a point to stay behind after the quals to help sweep up the brass as a way of showing my thanks and to spend a little time just b.s.'ing with the captain and any others that are still on site. I also make sure to let them know that I'm available if they ever need my assistance for any given purpose.

Of course, I do end up paying the fee to Raleigh for the ID card they send me annually but I consider it money well spent and the folks there have always been very helpful and attentive.
    Last edited by blues; 12-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

CWM11B

To charge or not, and at what rate, is up to the individual instructor. You have to pay the state a damn administrative fee if your agency doesn't qualify their retirees. One of the agencies neighboring mine will do it for no charge. Mine doesn't do it at all (and there are legit reasons, though BS IMHO, and I recommended we not do it when I was there)

I have a couple of big beefs with the way NC does the whole LEOSA process, brought to us by you know who @KeeFus. I do not see it changing without that key exit from the commission
    Last edited by CWM11B; 12-17-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    To charge or not, and at what rate, is up to the individual instructor. You have to pay the state a damn administrative fee if your agency doesn't qualify their retirees. One of the agencies neighboring mine will do it for no charge. Mine doesn't do it at all (and there are legit reasons, though BS IMHO, and I recommended we not do it when I was there)

I have a couple of big beefs with the way NC does the whole LEOSA process, brought to us by you know who @KeeFus. I do not see it changing without that key exit from the commission
    Yea, he needs to go...

User Tag List