Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-duty/retired LEO in states with mag capacity limits

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I talked with a Federal Air Marshal instructor at a NTOA program several years ago. He recounted the story of being stopped for traffic by an NJSP. The trooper inquired about weapons in the car and was told that there was an M-4 in the back. The next thing our FAM knew, the trooper was calling FAMS headquarters with the serial number to ensure it was an agency rifle.

If it had been me, I would have thanked the trooper and told him that he, every member of his organization, and their families could expect reciprocal treatment whenever they attempt to board or fly on a commercial aircraft.
    The FAMs have M4s?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Do FAM trainers not have FAM creds, or do NJSP look for PC on LEOs as a general rule?
    Sure, FAMS have creds.

No idea on the latter. I have friends and family who are currently local cops in NJ, none of them are pricks who would go out of their way to give any out-of-state or federal LEO a hard time. I've worked with NJ State Troopers and none of them were jerks to us, but a lot of working relationships I've noticed so far depend on how you're introduced to each other.

I wouldn't class NJ State Troopers as any more ornery than State Troopers from any state tend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I speak from a position of extreme ignorance on this, but does presenting valid credentials as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer (potentially combined with agency verification of the creds) not stop that process cold, long before the vehicle is searched/trunk opened/serial read.
    Well, you'd think, and to a reasonable person, yes.

However, your creds only cover you to possess what your agency authorizes. So, if someone wanted to push the issue you can theoretically find yourself in a situation like @jnc36rcpd 's acquaintance. My only speculation is that you had two people that weren't getting along, and possible a Troop that wanted to push whatever they could that particular day, and figured, "Bullshit, why the fuck would a FAM have an issued long gun" only failing to know that the FAMS, at one point, had tactical teams (GRT: Global Response Team, tasked with aircraft recapture) equipped with HK416s ( @jlw )...and he guessed wrong thinking the FAM was bluffing.

What's funny though is that's not the first adversarial interaction I've heard about between FAMS and NJSP. I've heard two other stories, one from a Newark FAM, and the other from a NJ State Trooper who couldn't figure out why a FAM was being formal and "stiff" on a traffic stop as if he was waiting for the Trooper to jack him up.

IDK......maybe there's some bad blood up there between the Newark FAMS Office and NJSP. I honestly haven't a clue, but I'd guess that's not the case because Newark FAMS invites NJSP to invite-only training sessions. The ones I worked with were all cool, and half of my office carried 18 round mags in our SIGs and talked "shop" with Troopers while ramp-side with never a threatening or disparaging comment. When agents would ask Troopers if the Mankiller 3000 black rifle they moved into the state with from elsewhere was legal, I never heard a response other than, "Nah dude, nobody is going to hassle you."

Like I said earlier, there's assholes and idiots everywhere. I'm guessing that sometimes the stars align just right for you to meet that special guy who is feeling particularly feisty that day. I'd encourage everyone to meet any NJ State Trooper with the same enthusiasm and friendly demeanor you would any other LEO.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-13-2018 at 07:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    It's been years since the conference and have no idea on the details. I was a little surprised that the FAMS had long guns when I heard the story, but it makes more sense hearing about the global response team.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The FAMs have M4s?
    In addition to the responsabilities TGS mentioned, the FAMS have juristiction over several modes of transportaion including busses and trains as well as associated facilities like airports, bus and train stations etc. Plus they assist in other federal security operations for large events under the DHS umbrella.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-13-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sure, FAMS have creds.

No idea on the latter. I have friends and family who are currently local cops in NJ, none of them are pricks who would go out of their way to give any out-of-state or federal LEO a hard time. I've worked with NJ State Troopers and none of them were jerks to us, but a lot of working relationships I've noticed so far depend on how you're introduced to each other.

I wouldn't class NJ State Troopers as any more ornery than State Troopers from any state tend to be.

Well, you'd think, and to a reasonable person, yes.

However, your creds only cover you to possess what your agency authorizes. So, if someone wanted to push the issue you can theoretically find yourself in a situation like @jnc36rcpd 's acquaintance. My only speculation is that you had two people that weren't getting along, and possible a Troop that wanted to push whatever they could that particular day, and figured, "Bullshit, why the fuck would a FAM have an issued long gun" only failing to know that the FAMS, at one point, had tactical teams (GRT: Global Response Team, tasked with aircraft recapture) equipped with HK416s ( @jlw )...and he guessed wrong thinking the FAM was bluffing.

What's funny though is that's not the first adversarial interaction I've heard about between FAMS and NJSP. I've heard two other stories, one from a Newark FAM, and the other from a NJ State Trooper who couldn't figure out why a FAM was being formal and "stiff" on a traffic stop as if he was waiting for the Trooper to jack him up.

IDK......maybe there's some bad blood up there between the Newark FAMS Office and NJSP. I honestly haven't a clue, but I'd guess that's not the case because Newark FAMS invites NJSP to invite-only training sessions. The ones I worked with were all cool, and half of my office carried 18 round mags in our SIGs and talked "shop" with Troopers while ramp-side with never a threatening or disparaging comment. When agents would ask Troopers if the Mankiller 3000 black rifle they moved into the state with from elsewhere was legal, I never heard a response other than, "Nah dude, nobody is going to hassle you."

Like I said earlier, there's assholes and idiots everywhere. I'm guessing that sometimes the stars align just right for you to meet that special guy who is feeling particularly feisty that day. I'd encourage everyone to meet any NJ State Trooper with the same enthusiasm and friendly demeanor you would any other LEO.
    It may not be Newark. The FAMS also have a training center in Atlantic City NJ which all the FAMS pass through after FLETC. It is likley that like the NJ cops / NJSP around AC are as tired of and unimpressed wih FAM creds as the GA cops around FLETC. I could understand that but IME the NJSP are generally petty pricks and have been for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It may not be Newark. The FAMS also have a training center in Atlantic City NJ which all the FAMS pass through after FLETC. It is likley that like the NJ cops / NJSP around AC are as tired of and unimpressed wih FAM creds as the GA cops around FLETC. I could understand that but IME the NJSP are generally petty pricks and have been for decades.
    I remember hearing these horror stories beginning in the early 80's (when I worked in NY) in regard to the NJSP. A friend of mine who left that outfit and went to the Secret Service explained that they were indoctrinated into the mindset of believing they were a law unto themselves, that no other federal, state or local outfit rose to their level, nor did they recognize their authority.

The stories of (literal) fistfights on the side of the road between the NJSP and other LEOs were legendary.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I remember hearing these horror stories beginning in the early 80's (when I worked in NY) in regard to the NJSP. A friend of mine who left that outfit and went to the Secret Service explained that they were indoctrinated into the mindset of believing they were a law unto themselves, that no other federal, state or local outfit rose to their level, nor did they recognize their authority.
    Sounds like your buddy went to the federal doppelganger, then!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I worked for two sheriff's departments and learned that Texas troopers will ticket other officers for traffic violations. In some instances they will stop marked patrol cars if they think that the city or county officer is driving too fast. Perhaps their training brings about a sense of superiority. I don't fault their dedication, competence, or contribution but do disagree with the enhanced hall monitoring mentality.
    Last edited by willie; 12-14-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Sounds like your buddy went to the federal doppelganger, then!
    Could be. I never wanted to work for either outfit.

My roommate from my first FLETC academy is the occasional talking head on CNN for Secret Service related matters. (I'll just leave it at that.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Possession of firearms is PC to search a car in NJ to retrieve the weapon, as the possession of firearms is preemptively illegal and only allowable under certain exceptions that you have to prove.
    One more reason not to answer a question you don’t have to. Write me the ticket if you wish, but NJSP isn’t getting my consent to search or an answer from me about anything I might have in my vehicle.

User Tag List