Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running a G19 barrel in a G23?

Running a G19 barrel in a G23?

What would be the technical problems/issues with this?

I ran about a hundred rnds of 9mm (Tulammo, mostly) through my G23 with a factory G19 barrel.

Accuracy and reliability was fine. What would be the problem with doing this long term?

I do have a LWD conversion barrel for it, and it runs fine too. Doesn't like steel case though.

I don't think it'll cause any problems but accuracy is usually not too good since the barrel diameter is smaller on the 19 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    What would be the technical problems/issues with this?

I ran about a hundred rnds of 9mm (Tulammo, mostly) through my G23 with a factory G19 barrel.

Accuracy and reliability was fine. What would be the problem with doing this long term?

I do have a LWD conversion barrel for it, and it runs fine too. Doesn't like steel case though.
    We might be able to help on the steel case if it’s a problem. Holler if you want help.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Gen 4 guns will require a recoil spring swap to function 100%. In theory, you should also replace the ejector and extractor depressor plunger assembly, too.

Lots of people here have repeated gen 2-3 .40 caliber glocks doing very well with conversion barrels for whatever that's worth.

It's gen 3. Made in Jan of '06, same 19lb. Spring as the G19, in that gen.

Steel cases stick in the chamber. Never a problem, of course, in my primary AR or other stock Glock barrels.

Site Supporter
    There's a gen3 g23 at my LGS they're asking $310 for, and I could probably get it for less than that if I offered cash - he'd probably be happy to get it out of the case. Every time I see one like that, I think, I should get that, and when I run across a conversion barrel, grab that, and then I'd have a dual caliber GLOCK for not too much.

But I keep not doing it b/c a 9mm GLOCK the same age is usually less than $100 more.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've got a 22 and 23 that I bought on Armslist, then sold the entire .40 slides for what I paid for the gun. So basically I got the frames for free. Then I changed the ejectors and built 9mm top ends.

I guess I could've just got a conversion barrel, but it would've bugged the heck out of me to have ".40 S&W" on the side.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    It's gen 3. Made in Jan of '06, same 19lb. Spring as the G19, in that gen.

Steel cases stick in the chamber. Never a problem, of course, in my primary AR or other stock Glock barrels.
    I found AR’s need to be well lubricated to run steel cased reliably - there’s just more fouling (cheaper powder, steel doesn’t expand the same as brass, polymer coating, pick a theory). Try a chamber brush - I also wouldn’t be surprised if the LWD barrel doesn’t have a bit more of a match chamber.

I’m not 100% certain about that - so don’t quote me. Just my $.02.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Vini,

Now I'm talking through my hat here as I have zero experience in doing what you're doing, so bear that in mind. But I am a pistol smith.

While the two barrels might look pretty close to the same, they aren't. The muzzle of the 19 is quite a bit smaller. The barrel hood (that little rectangular piece that sticks out behind the chamber) is also not as wide as the one on the 23. Probably, when the pistol is in battery (locked up closed) things don't move around much. But during the recoil/feeding pulse, oh my. I bet that barrel is slapping around quite a lot. I would think that even as tough as Glocks are shooting a 9 barrel in your 23 will eventually beat it to death. Both the barrel and the slide are hardened and very tough, but they're beating on each other in a way Gaston didn't design.

Hope this helps.

Cat

Thank you catshooter, that's what I was wondering.

Accuracy was, surprisingly, not an issue. Was getting even Tulammo inside the 3 inch square at 25 yds.

The issues you describe are what I was wondering about, that is, would an abnormal amount of wear occur because of things being "sloppy" in fit.

The hole in the front of the slide, the sides of the 9mm barrel, the areas around the breechface, barrel hood, and interfaces between bottom lugs and locking block.

User Tag List