Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sword finished.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    He works with the traditional process. No CNC or investment casting, ala Albion.
    I was all excited when I found out about Albion. Their pieces are wonderful looking and then I watched their YouTube video showing how their swords are "hand made" and watched them laser cutting the raw form. Now I'll admit that I only minored in History from a simple state University - but I'm pretty sure they didn't have laser cutters and bar stock back in the 14th Century. Add to that their penchant for posting social justice threads on FB and well - I'm happy to know there are others out there.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 12-12-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    His website... is excellent...

http://artofswordmaking.com/category/falchions

Oboyoboy... I see money outflow in the future.
    Yep.......

Do I want to send a Beretta to Langton or Wilson, or do I want another sword........?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 12-12-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I had no idea how badly I needed a sword until now...
    I can't think of a time when I didn't know I needed a sword.

Oh,

Somewhat related - Just discovered this YouTube Channel: Modern History TV

Pretty impressed with what I have watched so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I was all excited when I found out about Albion. Their pieces are wonderful looking and then I watched their YouTube video showing how their swords are "hand made" and watched them laser cutting the raw form. Now I'll admit that I only minored in History from a simple state University - but I'm pretty sure they didn't have laser cutters and bar stock back in the 14th Century. Add to that their penchant for posting social justice threads on FB and well - I'm happy to know there are others out there.
    Well, the folks up at Albion happen to be friends of mine, so I know the company pretty well. They do use modern methods of manufacture, but that's strictly to keep the costs to a manageable level and to speed production. In terms of form and function Albion's are as good, arguable better, than their medieval counterparts. As for their politics: Howard and Amy Wadell, the owners, are indeed liberal in their politics. Howard did work in the Clinton administration before hanging it up and following his passion. However, they are good people and I have no problem supporting them, as I've done since they were working out of their basement with one employee. I don't require people to tow my personal political bent in order to gain my support.

In terms of manufacturing process I'll always prefer the traditional methods myself, simply for their historical authenticity. You will pay more for it though.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    His website... is excellent...

http://artofswordmaking.com/category/falchions

Oboyoboy... I see money outflow in the future.
    MUST.........NOT.........CLICK.........LINK
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Beautiful sword, by the way.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Well, the folks up at Albion happen to be friends of mine, so I know the company pretty well.
    Well, allow me to wipe the egg off my face. Had I known you relationship with them I'd have been more polite. Enjoy the new sword.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Wow nice!

I've never really been a sword guy, but that makes me want to consider being one.

3 questions:

How long did you wait?
    How much did it run you?
    And where can I learn about swords and find current swordsmiths?
    I've been a sword guy since I first shit my diapers and wondered what that was.

I waited about two months for this one, which is unusually short. Maciej posted this one on his face page as a work in progress a couple of months back. The sword was almost complete but the scabbard hadn't been started. I put my name on it and that was that. He told me it would be done by December and here it is. As for a wait time on a commission? You'd have to ask him as this wasn't your typical timeline. I don't really seek out commissions any more. Most of these guys are as much "artists" as craftsman, with all of the positives and negatives that implies. They're working in a cottage industry rather than the corporate world for a reason. Honoring commitments and sticking to schedules are not among their strong suites. Examples: this particular acquisition is a retirement present to myself. I first went to a smith I've known for over fifteen years, who happens to now be acknowledged as one of the modern masters of the craft. I wanted the project to be special and unique. It didn't need to adhere to any strict historical pattern and I wanted to give him a free creative hand and see where it took him. We discussed themes for the project and he was very excited about it. When it came close to go time I shot him a message asking if he was still on board...................... crickets. Okay, went to smith #2 that I've known longer than #1. Discussed it with him, "Cool, let me think about it." Well, he must still be thinking because that's the last I heard. Things like that are far from unique in that craft and far too frustrating to deal with. So, when Maciej posted this one up I didn't hesitate to bite. It makes for a far less aggravating experience.

The price is $2900.00 USD. Not cheap, but if you compare that to some of the US competition and consider the quality v. price ratio, you're getting a lot for your money. There's a very vibrant medieval arms market in eastern Europe, especially Poland and the Czech Republic and the exchange rates are an advantage.

I may be biased since I'm one of the two guys who started the place, but myarmoury.com is an excellent resource for information.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 12-12-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I've been pining for a falchion.
    http://artofswordmaking.com/gallery/...on-around-1300

User Tag List