Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Sig P6 viable anymore?

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I don't have any experience with this weapon whatsoever, but this statement really jumped out at me:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    It is quite viable and not outclassed by other guns for the purpose of self defense.
    I don't understand the logic of this statement in light of the information presented in this thread. Setting aside issues about weight, capacity, and weather-resistance (since I know how you will respond to such factors), a firearm that has a documented track record of malfunctioning magazines under normal use seems like a perfect definition of "outclassed by other guns for the purpose of self defense."

Yeah, this magazine issue doesn't sound like anything I want to deal with. I think I'll pass on getting one. Thanks everyone for the good info.

The AR platform has a history of malfunctioning magazines under normal use as well - the issue seems to be that readily available, relatively inexpensive magazines aren't available for spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I don't have any experience with this weapon whatsoever, but this statement really jumped out at me:

I don't understand the logic of this statement in light of the information presented in this thread. Setting aside issues about weight, capacity, and weather-resistance (since I know how you will respond to such factors), a firearm that has a documented track record of malfunctioning magazines under normal use seems like a perfect definition of "outclassed by other guns for the purpose of self defense."
    JeffJ hit it right. The record of malfunctions is a product of the magazine, not the gun. Sort of like the recoil spring for some compact 1911s. As long as you replace the spring regularly the gun works fine, but if you can't replace it regularly the gun becomes unreliable. The P6 works fine, and as long as you don't stress it it will probably work fine for years. Heck, it was THE go-to pistol for PDs all over Europe for quite a while. I like Jeff's AR point. We regularly see recommendations to download the AR mag, and there have been many "fixes" for the magazine, but as long as you keep good magazines in the gun it does its job well. If I knew I could go out and get a new mag anytime I wanted one I'd say the P6 was fine.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I've owned all of the "Big 3" German service pistols.
    P5, P6 and P7.
    If I was going to pick one of them to carry it would be the Walther P5.

Of course all three are outclassed as a CCW by the lowly Glock 19, but in my experience the P5 was the best all around gun out of the three.
    btw: I sold my last P225 within a few days of buying a Kahr K9, there was just no way to justify the P225 when placed side by side with the K9.
    Last edited by JodyH; 03-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    The AR platform has a history of malfunctioning magazines under normal use as well - the issue seems to be that readily available, relatively inexpensive magazines aren't available for spares.
    I agree that it's a good analogy... the difference is that AR magazines are readily and inexpensively available, and downloading them (as is suggested for the P6) is a minor difference in round count... 18 or 19 instead 20, whereas downloading a single stack magazine is a huge hit to the capacity. So the remedies for the AR magazine issue aren't so bad, but they aren't very good for the P6...

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    The AR's weak point is indeed the magazine, but they are dirt cheap, plentiful, and can be purchased in enough quantity to last 20 lifetimes. Additionally, they are constantly being improved upon. To "go to" mags of today are more robust than those of the past. Finally, just about every other 5.56 carbine I can think of is based on the AR magazine. SCAR? ACR? Honestly, what other realistic options exist on the market?

Best I can tell, none of these things are true about the P6. If every other defensive pistol on the market used P6 magazines: fine. But they don't. So in my book, that means that the P6 is outclassed. I don't doubt that the P6 "got the job done," but when there are other options that are significantly more robust, isn't that the definition of outclassed?

If another 5.56 carbine came along that was lighter than an AR, more weather-resistant, held more rounds, had a better trigger, and had magazines that could withstand far more abuse, I would say that the AR had been outclassed. It doesn't mean the AR is a bad weapon.

Interesting. This is the first I have heared of it as well, but I do not have much experience with the P225. I wonder if this is also true of the P239?

ETA: Just read the link JV provided. I find it interesting that the author had not heard of similar issues with the P239. Seems like the similar design would be susceptible to the same problems.
    Last edited by 98z28; 03-08-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Interesting. This is the first I have heared of it as well, but I do not have much experience with the P225. I wonder if this is also true of the P239?
    It's not; the magazine feed lip spread issue seems to have been limited to the P225/P6 magazines. I've never come across reports of any issues with the P239's magazines, in any of its chamberings.

Best, Jon

Great info. I have long had a small interest in the P6, and this sort of expert insight is invaluable.

Excuse my Sig ignorance, but is a 239 a decent pistol, and why would a person carry one over, for example, a Glock 19?

User Tag List