Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking a Class with Other than Your Main Carry Gun?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Rationally, you're absolutely right. My dilemma is, do I stop shooting/training with guns that aren't my primary? Do all my non-TDA guns revert to "fun gun" status?
    I said not too long ago that I take my training seriously and have weapons that are pretty much just for that, but I also have a very much parallel hobby of shooting. Just make sure you know which is which. While my 1911’s or revolvers could certainly be pressed into an SD/HD role (and I’m not saying either is not a good choice), I don’t intend to use them as such...but I still shoot them. I just don’t purposefully train with them.

Plus time is at a premium. Due to cost and the relative infrequency of classes (vs regular range time) I’m going to use my primary carry weapons. Because now is the time to see if there’s any little bugs I don’t like, whether it’s with a platform in general or my specific gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    One of the best things about this place is that when you ask a question, you get a straight answer complete with rationale, even though it may not be the answer you want. Thanks, all! I'm going to run the PX4 at the class. It's going to include a "personal tactics" component with inert guns and I have a "blue" version of the PX4, so it makes logistics even easier.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Rationally, you're absolutely right. My dilemma is, do I stop shooting/training with guns that aren't my primary? Do all my non-TDA guns revert to "fun gun" status?
    That's two different things.

I can tell you that I don't train with anything that I don't carry. When I carried a Sig TDA, I attended classes with a P226. Now that I carry a Glock, I attend classes with a Glock 17M. When I shoot BUG in training, I shoot the Shield or LCR.

But today I went to the range and shot my Redhawk. I didn't train with it. I just shot it. At best I practiced with it. I tested some reloads, packed my stuff up, and went on my way. Revolvers and reloading are where I get my "fun gun" stuff out. I don't see anything wrong with having a fun outing when the purpose is to have fun. But when I'm paying for training or spending my time on "serious" practice under stress, real or manufactured, I'm not using "fun guns".
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I take the Texas CHL (now LTC) class every year. I usually shoot it weak-hand only with a J-frame. If you cannot shoot that test clean with one hand, then it would be wise to practice more. It's like being attacked by a refrigerator wearing an orange windbreaker....
    Do you sign up for the actual class every year, or do you just set up the qual at the range and shoot it?

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Do you sign up for the actual class every year, or do you just set up the qual at the range and shoot it?
    I pick a different instructor every year, and take the class as a new student. It gives me a chance to evaluate the class environment and range, and pick up the pluses and minuses of their teaching style.

Also, there are usually changes to the Texas laws every legislative session. This gives me a verified record of passing a written exam regarding the law, and a documented record of a current shooting qualification as defined by the state.

It's cheap insurance, and I get to observe students and instructors. It costs me a Saturday and around $60. Plus I burn up 50 rounds of ammo that I have been cycling in and out of carry guns anyway.

User Tag List