Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a Class with Other than Your Main Carry Gun?

Site Supporter

Taking a Class with Other than Your Main Carry Gun?

I've settled on the PX4 as my carry gun, and have drunk the P-F kool-aid on having multiples - I've got two that are decock-only and one that's DAO. My "small" gun is also TDA, a Walther P99C. I've taken classes with both.

I started with 1911s and later branched off into revolvers and still enjoy (and occasionally carry) them. I also just got my M&P45 1.0 back from S&W with its dead trigger revivified - they replaced the trigger and it's much improved.

I'm taking a class at the beginning of February and am seriously considering running the M&P45. It's the thumb safety version and I treat it like a 1911. I'd bring my Series 70 Combat Commander as a backup in the unlikely event the M&P goes down...or maybe reverse the roles, since the Commander hasn't been getting much love since I got the M&P ten years ago.

I'm more serious than I've ever been about improving my defensive shooting skills. I realize that keeping with one gun exclusively is the best way to do this (in terms of hardware). I think that "keeping my hand in" with other platforms isn't a bad idea, but I'm interested in other's opinions on this. An okay idea, or am I gonna get killt in da streetz?

Respectfully I’d say it would be polite to make sure it works prior to class day. Experiments are that. Class is class

Shoot which ever gun you want. Shoot them all. Switch guns at lunch, whatever. Just make sure in doing so the gun and supporting gear work together and for you.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Shoot whichever gun you like, but class isn’t the time to see if it works or not. Looks like you’re squared away with backups though.

For that matter, bring a backup anyway in case your primary goes belly up. I was in a class and started getting light strikes, I just switched guns and carried on.

I do it all the time, but with a proviso....

My usual carry is a exceedingly boring Gen2 G19 with eleventy billion rounds through it. Having said that, I spent a year shooting nothing but double-action revolvers in training classes. I put thousands of rounds through a S&W 4" 686. It did a great deal of improvement to my Glock trigger pull.

I also tend to shoot a lot of J-frames in classes and quals. I take the Texas CHL (now LTC) class every year. I usually shoot it weak-hand only with a J-frame. If you cannot shoot that test clean with one hand, then it would be wise to practice more. It's like being attacked by a refrigerator wearing an orange windbreaker....

I like to shoot beginner classes that way, with a backup gun. I almost always have a S&W 342 in my front left pocket - it's a scandium/titanium revolver that weighs just over 10 ounces. If I have to produce it and shoot, it's likely going to be WHO. So why not practice that in class?

So why not take a different gun, if it fits your training purposes? As long as you are not "that guy", why not?

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I got the gun back Monday from S&W and Tuesday morning before work I went to the range and put 100 rounds through it with no issues doing the five-yard portion of the Advanced Test. That's what reminded me how much I like this pistol. I'll put several hundred more through it before the class. It already has >5k rounds through it.

It's a very early production gun, and apparently the trigger going dead was a fairly common glitch. It was repaired under warranty.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm more serious than I've ever been about improving my defensive shooting skills. I realize that keeping with one gun exclusively is the best way to do this (in terms of hardware).
    Seems like you answered your own question.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I think you probably get the most benefit from a class if you use what you carry -- generally speaking. That said, I typically carry a 1911 but at the last class I attended I shot a Glock 34 and had a second along for a backup. The reason was strictly capacity -- it is more difficult to keep up with reloads with a 1911. So for a couple months before hand I shot nothing but the Glocks. I don't have much trouble going back and forth between the Glocks and the 1911s. Especially my Gen 5 G34 which has a trigger so light it's almost ridiculous.

I really like the Beretta 92 series more than Glocks, especially now with the availability of G model conversions. I am a fan of the Beretta's double action trigger for defensive use -- but if I ever make the switch to using Berettas I will probably shoot them exclusively including at classes because the trigger is so different from a 1911 or striker fired pistol and I would need to focus my attention on that.

Since the purpose of attending a class is to gain proficiency, just make sure the guns and gear you train with will enable you to become better with the things you actually use. Another example -- I always carry concealed AIWB so that is what I use at classes.
    Last edited by Robinson; 12-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.

1) Define objectives for your training.
    2) Select equipment that enables them.
    3) Execute.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Seems like you answered your own question.
    Rationally, you're absolutely right. My dilemma is, do I stop shooting/training with guns that aren't my primary? Do all my non-TDA guns revert to "fun gun" status?

Fun is one thing, training is another. While I carry one type of gun habitually, I shoot plenty of others for recreation. It's one way I keep my interest and passion for the subject alive. That being said, if you want to get the most out of any training experience that isn't the time to experiment. I'm not talking about deciding to use a different type of handgun for a year or a competition season, I'm all for that kind of horizon broadening and skill set rounding. However, in order to really benefit from a training experience (which you're paying for) I think it's best to stick with the gun you spend most of your time with. This will allow you to concentrate on the fine minutia of the training, rather than dealing with the quirks of a new gun.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List