Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evidence of American Decency

I believe this trip for the kids was the work of Gary Sinise's foundation

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    That dude gets a lot of credit but it's nowhere close to what he deserves.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Everybody Loves Raymond' star Patricia Heaton's TIME Person of the Year suggestion goes viral
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I'm really glad to see that, particularly that it's being highlighted by Heaton and that it's getting attention. People like Sinise are the names kids in America should grow up knowing and seeing as an example.

I'll withhold my comments on Time and their decisions (both this decision as well as many others); they're not really appropriate for a "Decency" thread. Let's focus on the positive things in America.

A few years back I was at a Carolina Hurricanes game. We did the military rush deal (60 minutes prior to puck drop, remaining tickets are sold to military and students at a steep discount - great way to get some GOOD seats for cheap). So we get in just a few minutes before the game's about to start and encounter the typical crowded-arena crush of people tripping over each other to stare at the gift shop, get a beer before the game starts, figure out where their seats are, etc and we're trying to navigate the mayhem to get to where we're going when all of a sudden everyone in the stairwell just stops. At first I was annoyed (still trying to get up the damn stairs, come on people). Then it gets quiet and the only sound in the entire place starts with "Oh say can you see..."

The ENTIRE ARENA came to a complete standstill for the national anthem. The coolest part was that it was so widespread and completely unprompted - nobody had to remind anyone else. They just did it.
    I would note that what you describe happened at a hockey game... on occasion, going to a hockey game restores my faith in humanity. Fights and all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Everybody Loves Raymond' star Patricia Heaton's TIME Person of the Year suggestion goes viral[/URL]
    I'm really glad to see that, particularly that it's being highlighted by Heaton and that it's getting attention. People like Sinise are the names kids in America should grow up knowing and seeing as an example.
    Thanks for posting this, I just pushed this out on my FB newsfeed. I have about 700 "friends", it will be interesting to see what traction it gets.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.

96 people line up to perform CPR on a guy.

For every minute I spend on the regular news sites, I spent at least one on that good news network site.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

For every minute I spend on the regular news sites, I spent at least one on that good news network site.
    Didnt know about that, thanks! Ive been looking at it a bit. Some nice stuff. Oner interesting piece, they are training dogs to detect malaria. Its in the proof of concept stage, but so far seems very workable, and looks like they can detect it at levels that dont always show in other tests. This was just from smelling the socks of people that had it or not, then frozen several months while they trained the dogs. They will probably do better yet on fresh samples. Theyve been working with having them detect some cancers from smell with some success. Two of my dogs at different times stopped and zeroed in on a spot on my arm and smelled it intently. I went to the doc, she sort of rolled her eyes, but I showed her something about it online being done in Japan, so she froze off the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

20 people line up to perform CPR for 96 minutes. Slightly different, but the same good message.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    20 people line up to perform CPR for 96 minutes. Slightly different, but the same good message.
    I'm really amazed that 1) anyone survived >96 minutes of CPR and 2) that all 20 of those people gave high quality chest compressions. Lots of medical students fuck it up on their first couple tries and then get yelled at and are forced to swap out.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 12-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.

User Tag List