Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is my trigger control story. For years, maybe decades, my one hand shooting, especially support hand sucked. I bluffed my way through standards stages, and generally avoided it. Then I went to the Rogers School, and bluffing didn’t cut it. There was no way I could make Advanced there with my level of one hand shooting ability.

I decided to fix it, and used a S&W 317 revolver and more thousands of rounds of .22 ammo than I would like to admit. Working a long, heavy trigger while steering the sights on a lightweight revolver took a lot of effort, but eventually I started to get the hang of one hand shooting. I shot so much with just my support hand, that to this day, I would rather shoot one hand with just my left, support hand.

Trigger control is not a skill you are born with.
    At what distance did you start with the S&W 317? Did you start one handed when you decided to fix it? Thanks
    Last edited by bwswanson; 12-14-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bwswanson View Post
    At what distance did you start with the S&W 317? Did you start one handed when you decided to fix it? Thanks
    Been a while, but I think I just put my eight inch steel out there, and kept moving them back as I got better. Did almost all with one hand.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You can afford the P250 .22LR. I paid even less for mine on GB. Look up the thread where I’ve posted my impressions of it. I’m a fan.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You can afford the P250 .22LR. I paid even less for mine on GB. Look up the thread where I’ve posted my impressions of it. I’m a fan.
    $279 shipped is what I paid from CDNN a few weeks ago. I love my 250 .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Lots of good stuff here...

I know this is the Marksmanship technical forum, and Rich asked about getting better, but I would reiterate getting a rimfire always ends up being a ton of fun. I think just being able to shoot thousands of rounds without a care to the cost, recoil or noise, is liberating. And maybe instead of the precise understudy LCR, a 3" LCRx would bring a few other things to the table:
    Name:  LCRx.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  14.6 KB
    For one thing, I tend to not like buying things that I already have, this might be just enough different. With a little more sight radius that might mimic the G19, and with the option to shoot single action it might show what might be possible without a challenging double or Safe Action trigger. But it is light enough gun that it would not be totally easy.

I recently reacquired my 617-4 I let get away a few years ago. On Thanksgiving we had my steel targets plates set up, I have one rack of five 8" plates and it just great to dump fifty shells in my jacket pocket and just shoot, shoot, and shoot. The 617 is super easy to shoot, but a 317 is on my short list.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.

Not sure if you’ve covered this already but, what about adding a dot to your pistol for this purpose?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Not sure if you’ve covered this already but, what about adding a dot to your pistol for this purpose?
    Meaning I’d have to get one of these?

https://us.glock.com/Products/g19_gen5_mos_fs

Hmmmm...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Meaning I’d have to get one of these?

https://us.glock.com/Products/g19_gen5_mos_fs

Hmmmm...
    Or a revolver with a red dot...
    Last edited by scw2; 12-16-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Or a revolver with a red dot...
    The problem is finding a lightweight DA revolver in .22 that allows mounting of a RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    The problem is finding a lightweight DA revolver in .22 that allows mounting of a RDS.
    A Smith & Wesson, a J-Point mount that replaces the rear sight from Brownells and a Shield RMS?

User Tag List