Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Ok...this might seem like a dumb comment but I went to go look at the prices of .22LR (approx $0.03) vs .38 Special ($0.25 on up). So now I understand why a .22 makes a good cheap training option.

But a Ruger LCR .22 5410 is around $400 cheapest I’ve seen.

If there are any good threads on how to buy a decent used DA .22 revolver, or what brands / types to looks for, can someone vector me there please?

“For now” I’m going to try what I have, which is my LCR and a couple boxes of misc. Wally World .38 I’ve picked up here and there, at the range this weekend.

(I did do 50 presses using snap caps tonight with the LCR with a good sight picture on a Gabe White 4” head dot at 7 yards. It was hard. I can see how that would build trigger control lol.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok...this might seem like a dumb comment but I went to go look at the prices of .22LR (approx $0.03) vs .38 Special ($0.25 on up). So now I understand why a .22 makes a good cheap training option.

But a Ruger LCR .22 5410 is around $400 cheapest I’ve seen.

If there are any good threads on how to buy a decent used DA .22 revolver, or what brands / types to looks for, can someone vector me there please?

“For now” I’m going to try what I have, which is my LCR and a couple boxes of misc. Wally World .38 I’ve picked up here and there, at the range this weekend.

(I did do 50 presses using snap caps tonight with the LCR with a good sight picture on a Gabe White 4” head dot at 7 yards. It was hard. I can see how that would build trigger control lol.)
    Maybe look into reloading 38. I load 148 and 158 and could not imagine buying 38 loads.
    The LCR will pay for itself in time. I think the challenge will be finding a cheaper snub with a decent trigger.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 12-11-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I would spend the money on training.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I would spend the money on training.
    I almost always agree with the recommendation of training over hardware, but do you think trigger control can be acquired except by lots of dry and live fire?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I almost always agree with the recommendation of training over hardware, but do you think trigger control can be acquired except by lots of dry and live fire?
    I'm with you on that. But, he already has a gun to shoot and dry fire.

I'm with you on that. But, he already has a gun to shoot and dry fire.
    There is a big difference between a Shadow 2 and a Glock. Big, heavy gun with a light trigger like a Shadow 2 takes much less live fire to confirm your work in dry fire, than a Glock, which by comparison is like herding cats. Unless confirmed by frequent live fire, I guy can kid himself dry firing a Glock and thinking he has trigger control.

To advance to the next level, Rich needs to put many thousands of live rounds down range. In a perfect world, that would be with his primary Glock, with periodic expert instruction to trouble shoot problems, and competition to benchmark progress. If that isn’t an option, .22 may be part of his live fire system.

Great point, George. When I dryfire with a Glock, I do the "trigger press at speed" drill with single presses with a cocked striker. But most of the dryfire drills are with tape to keep the gun out of battery so the trigger works. I guess I think $500 is better spent on a class than on a .22 revolver.

(and speaking of that, I'm going to go dryfire with a P-07 and a Shadow 2)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-11-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Great point, George. When I dryfire with a Glock, I do the "trigger press at speed" drill with single presses with a cocked striker. But most of the dryfire drills are with tape to keep the gun out of battery so the trigger works. I guess I think $500 is better spent on a class than on a .22 revolver.

(and speaking of that, I'm going to go dryfire with a P-07 and a Shadow 2)
    I would also recommend a class ahead of hardware, but Rich has a Porsche so he can afford guns, ammo, and training!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Maybe look into reloading 38. I load 148 and 158 and could not imagine buying 38 loads.
    The LCR will pay for itself in time. I think the challenge will be finding a cheaper snub with a decent trigger.
    Reloading is not going to be an option for me. Condo (1,000 ft sq) living and my ‘office’ is a shared guest bedroom / storage area / dog sleeping quarters. The chance of me buying any kind of reloading equipment are nil.

But p, on the other hand, what are the odds I could stroll into my LGS and pick up a decent used DA .22 Revolver, for say $200? Is there a ‘Glock 19’ of DA Revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would also recommend a class ahead of hardware, but Rich has a Porsche so he can afford guns, ammo, and training!
    Well, it *is* a used Porsche...but yeah I get it lol. Question of choices.

User Tag List