Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Not a revolver, but I've found that dry fire with a DA pistol (PX4) seems to improves my trigger control with my Glocks. So I'm thinking the revolver DA trigger press might do the same for you.

Interested to hear what other folks think.
    That is my experience as well using a P250 for a dry fire trainer along with my carry 442.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Master a DA revolver and everything else will seem like child's play. Likewise with a TDA pistol. I found that spending a lot of time with a TDA pistol actually helped my Glock shooting. Due to my years of revolver shooting the TDA pistol wasn't much of a challenge either.

To more directly answer your question: yes, you should dry fire practice with the Ruger and no, it won't be detrimental to your performance with your Glocks.
    This! Learning to shoot a revolver well will translate to just about anything with a trigger.

Couple years ago, I was enjoying a bonfire with some good friends who are all shooters of varying levels, serious enough that all of them edc, all have at least one good class &/or competition under their belt. One of them breaks out the cheap looking, scoped crossbow he'd gotten in a horse swap with a coworker. They'd shot it earlier in the day and no one had hit the 3D deer. I watch two guys launch bolts and again, both missed completely, one high, one left.

For my turn, I knelt & propped my elbows on the table they'd been standing behind, centered the crosshairs a hair below dead center mass. It impacts a little left of aim, perfectly in the boiler room. Luckiest miss ever, they claim. Ok, give me another bolt. Same result. I lay the crossbow down as I stand up and say, "You sorry mf'ers need to work on your trigger control." We walk back to the fire and my wife asks how I did. My buddies begrudgingly admit I killed it. A friend's wife blurts out, "And you guys couldn't even hit it??" My wife just nods, "Yeah, pretty much anything with a trigger..."

Now, I'm no GJM, hell, I'm not even the guy that wishes he was GJM, what's his name, Jetfire or something? (I kid, I kid.) But I acquit myself well enough to avoid too much embarrassment when I do actually get to the range and am a wily enough old dog to know to stop when I hit a golf shot. Now that I'm carrying my j-frame 85% of the time, I do 99% of my dryfire with it and because it's a revolver, I find I do a lot more of it. With nothing to reset besides letting the trigger out, I'll do at least 10 and as many as 15 trigger pulls every time I raise the muzzle, just a boatload more than I ever do with my 1911 or Glock and probably 75% of those j-frame trigger pulls are SHO. I recently added a pressure switch to my X300, so I did spend some time doing Glock dry fire and it went through my mind several times just how friggin easy it was to both handle the full size pistol and the Glock trigger press.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 12-11-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Wow!

Thanks all. I really did not expect the response to generally be, "absolutely a revolver can help with trigger control".

I was actually more thinking, pfft, this will never work, but I need to check with the experts...I'll definitely add a line to my evolving 2019 Dry Practice Plan document, to include time with my unloaded LCR.

Many many thanks. Getting access to this kind of thinking, backed up by experience, is exactly why I support pistol-forum.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Wow!

Thanks all. I really did not expect the response to generally be, "absolutely a revolver can help with trigger control".

I was actually more thinking, pfft, this will never work, but I need to check with the experts...I'll definitely add a line to my evolving 2019 Dry Practice Plan document, to include time with my unloaded LCR.

Many many thanks. Getting access to this kind of thinking, backed up by experience, is exactly why I support pistol-forum.

Rich
    Since I am always happy to spend the money of others, a matching LCR in .22 would be an awesome live fire training device, so you can see where those bullets hit, with low cost, recoil and concussion. The Rogers School uses a .22 revolver extensively in their Basic class, and Bill Rogers says most Advanced course students would greatly benefit from a day or two of .22, but their egos won’t make this palatable as a formal part of the Advanced course.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    ...I'll definitely add a line to my evolving 2019 Dry Practice Plan document, to include time with my unloaded LCR.
    I recommend using snap caps.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I recommend using snap caps.
    Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are benefits to learning how to manipulate a heavy and long trigger while maintaining sight alignment that will transition over to any other firearm. At a certain point it will not improve your shooting with any other gun.

In the end it will get to the point where you need to train with your Glock to get better with the Glock. Depending on your training schedule you could get to that point rather quickly.

If your goal is better Glock shooting in USPSA then you need to practice USPSA with your Glock.

I have spent a lot of time shooting DA/SA guns the last 4 years and even bought a J frame, before this I shot Glocks exclusively for 7 years. I cannot shoot a Glock as well as I did in 2014 when I stopped shooting them in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since I am always happy to spend the money of others, a matching LCR in .22 would be an awesome live fire training device, so you can see where those bullets hit, with low cost, recoil and concussion. The Rogers School uses a .22 revolver extensively in their Basic class, and Bill Rogers says most Advanced course students would greatly benefit from a day or two of .22, but their egos won’t make this palatable as a formal part of the Advanced course.
    Cannot possibly agree with this more.

I decided to take up revolver division in USPSA and struggled with both the 4" and 5" 625. Put them on their shelf in the safe and grabbed the 6" 686 and immediately jumped out of D class within a couple of matches shooting .38 Short Colt loads. After learning to be proficient with that long DA stroke people look at you weird when you tell them you actually prefer it. And when you do pick the autos back up you'll find that you haven't forgot a thing unless it has a frame mounted safety, but the trigger will be as it always was.

I might have pulled a revolver trigger a time or two. If you can keep your sights on target through a long revolver trigger pull, then anything else is a piece of cake. There might be another thread going on about how much of shooting is trigger control.

User Tag List