Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh. Lol.

Ok ok I’ll check CDNN for holiday sales on .22 LCRs.
    While you’re there.... “Sig250 22LR”. Closest thing you’ll find that vectors (near) your budget, DAO trigger, and 22LR all at once.

ETA: Looked up a few posts and see that Chuck beat me to this.
    Last edited by jandbj; 12-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Did any of his instructors tell him to buy a revolver to fix his trigger pull on an auto?
    No. That’s why I started the thread.

EDIT Besides who doesn’t need an excuse to buy a gun?
    Last edited by RJ; 12-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    No. That’s why I started the thread.

EDIT Besides who doesn’t need an excuse to buy a gun?
    I’m not trying to be a dick. But here’s my take:

If I was one of your prior instructors and read this thread, I’d be wondering why you aren’t following what you learned from them.

If you just want a new gun, good on ya!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    While you’re there.... “Sig250 22LR”. Closest thing you’ll find that vectors (near) your budget, DAO trigger, and 22LR all at once.

ETA: Looked up a few posts and see that Chuck beat me to this.
    Chuck also runs a 9mm SigP250c as a primary, and has to acknowledge the potential for bias. Hence the last line of that post.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-12-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m not trying to be a dick. But here’s my take:

If I was one of your prior instructors and read this thread, I’d be wondering why you aren’t following what you learned from them.

If you just want a new gun, good on ya!
    No worries! It’s all good.

I would submit I *have* followed the training I’ve received. All of it is documented in my training journal.

The purpose in starting the thread, again, was not to rehash my current Dry Practice program, which is built on Stoeger’s books, Gabe’s suggestions, stuff I’ve learned here, and a little bit of the live in person training courses as outlined above. I can post my Dry Practice routine if you want. It’s a work in progress.

I’d have to think though, whether any of the live training included a specific evaluation of MY trigger control. You know what? I can’t think of anyone except for Tom telling me not to push so hard on the inside of my trigger finger (I was steering rounds low and away) in his class in Everett WA. (I don’t do that any more).

It’s interesting to note that something as critical as trigger control should have such a small impact on my collective training memory?

I don’t know what other noob’s experiences are. Mostly what I’m told is ‘press the trigger straight back without moving the sights.’

Which I understand, but is hard to do without a lot of work.

I’m trying to get the work done, believe me, but I am always thinking of maybe ways to get better.

Hope that helps where I’m coming from.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-12-2018 at 06:04 PM.

***Reiterating my lack of qualifications to answer your question***

As an alternative to a new gun, which may or may not help you find the results you’re looking for. Since you have identified a very specific deficiency, you might want to either get a private lesson for that deficiency or take a class that focuses on that specific thing.

I think the right instructor could get you on the right path in a half day focused lesson.
    I suspect you have a multiple solid options for open enrollment classes in SW FL. The Ops Spec Training: Practical Fundamentals focuses on trigger control.
    Last edited by David S.; 12-12-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    David S.

Shrek

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....017-Bastrop-TX

I’ve considered having one or two of shrek’s video analysis done on my own technique. Think it might be what you’re looking for too.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    ***Reiterating my lack of qualifications to answer your question***

As an alternative to a new gun, which may or may not help you find the results you’re looking for. Since you have identified a very specific deficiency, you might want to either get a private lesson for that deficiency or take a class that focuses on that specific thing.

I think the right instructor could get you on the right path in a half day focused lesson.
    I suspect you have a multiple solid options for open enrollment classes in SW FL. The Ops Spec Training: Practical Fundamentals focuses on trigger control.
    Thanks David. Bookmarked.

PS Are you going to TacCon?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Shrek

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....017-Bastrop-TX

I’ve considered having one or two of shrek’s video analysis done on my own technique. Think it might be what you’re looking for too.
    Yes definitely. I have looked several times for course date options and have not worked something out. I will try again in 2019. Based on feedback here and elsewhere I really see this individual focus as being really valuable for me.

You need to stop taking classes and going to conferences so you can spend that time shooting your gun. You shot 3,000 rounds in 16 months, that's like 20 hours of range time if you shot that outside of a class. I don't even think you have shot enough ammo through that Glock to know how to dryfire it properly. Figure out in live fire what you need to see and feel to make shots at various distances and target sizes so that you can dryfire those tasks correctly. Your going to just spin your wheels until you put serious amounts of ammo through your gun.
    Last edited by Leroy; 12-12-2018 at 06:54 PM.

While I have not hesitated to give Rich constructive criticism, I think that Rich, unfairly here, is taking a beating.

Relative to his overall development as a shooter, he has taken plenty of tactical training. What is standing between him and his next point of development is technical shooting, and specifically trigger control. A TGO standard question is “how do you shoot faster? After a lot of Robbie answering questions with more questions, where you will end up is him saying “to shoot faster, you must press the trigger faster.” When you ask him about what if you can’t work the trigger faster without disturbing the sights, his response is that you simply must learn to work the trigger faster or you will not be able to shoot faster.

So how do you learn to work the trigger faster. That will differ by platform, and differ by shooter, but unfortunately trigger control is something that each shooter needs to develop on their own. And, regardless of where you are in trigger control, you can always get a lot better. Won’t take the time here, but JJ talks about spending months and cases of ammo working in trigger control when he was a government lead instructor.

Trigger control work is exhausting and does not lend itself to being learned in long sessions, or group classes with lines of shooters. While periodic instruction is helpful, what really needs to happen is Rich needs to shoot thousands and thousands of live fire rounds to develop more trigger control. While it is always the Indian and not the arrow, different triggers are harder or easier to shoot. Rich has picked the Glock, which is easy to shoot OK, but one of the very hardest triggers to shoot really well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List