Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Efficacy of Revolver Dry Practice for Pistol Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I would spend the money on training.
    Yeah I dunno.

In the case of me missing these days I seem to almost always have a sight picture at the miss.

Meaning that most all of my Mike, Delta and Charlie hits over the last couple matches I’ve seen, in real time. I am not surprised when my stage is scored anymore because I just about know how I did when I get done.

Which ‘for me’ seems to resonate with Mr. Givens suggestion that I ‘need to use the bumpy things’ and Gabe’s advice aligns with that as well.

Since I got the G19.5 I’m up to over 3,000 rounds with it over maybe 16 months. Not a huge amount but I’m working full time with fairly frequent business travel these days. Plus grand kids and what not.

Training wise I have done Tac Con 2016, a day with Frank Proctor and Tom Givens Defensive Pistol Two Day. Plus Gabe’s class in September.

I’m going to Tac Con again in March, and will be taking Gabe’s class in Lakeland in April.

I’m still mulling over other options. The TPC 3 day in St George sounds awesome but I just don’t see having the time with work and current vacation commits in 2019.

So, I have what I have. Which in the case of my LCR, thanks to you guys and this thread, I may have discovered I have a nifty little trigger control training tool under my nose that I’m currently under utilizing.

Thanks all, I appreciate you guys input. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    But p, on the other hand, what are the odds I could stroll into my LGS and pick up a decent used DA .22 Revolver, for say $200? Is there a ‘Glock 19’ of DA Revolvers?
    Decent used gun and $200 don't go together. You could always buy a TDA autopistol and practice dryfire with it and stay with 9mm. A PX4CC or an LTT Elite would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Decent used gun and $200 don't go together. You could always buy a TDA autopistol and practice dryfire with it and stay with 9mm. A PX4CC or an LTT Elite would be good.
    Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh. Lol.

Ok ok I’ll check CDNN for holiday sales on .22 LCRs.

Taking a break from a dryfire session just now... I grabbed the Dan Wesson .357 I inherited from my dad and played around with the trigger. The gun simply doesn't fit me, and my finger is not at an ideal angle for isolating the trigger press from motion of the sights. I can say with complete confidence that practicing a DA pull with that revolver would be counterproductive for me.

By contrast, I tested a couple TDA guns that do fit my hand. If I wanted a real trigger finger workout to practice my press, a stock P-07 or a USP would work well. So, if your LCR happens to fit you, I guess it's a good trigger mule. If not... I'd look elsewhere.

@Surf has an excellent video on trigger mechanics that emphasizes how important fit is.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-11-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Doubt you will find a decent trainer in your price range. Maybe a set of Crimson trace grips for dry fire.

I'm not a firearms instructor or even good enough of a shooter to be giving advice, so take this for what little it's worth:

Do you have specific goals? What are realistically willing to dedicate to those goals?
    What's your current dry practice schedule?
    Do you know how to dry practice?
    Do you know what to look for?
    Have you identified specific weakness and how to correct them?

I ask rhetorically, of course.

I'm sure a DA trigger is useful for some people at some point in their development, but I wonder if you're looking for an excuse? No offense.

You've been taught how to shoot. You just have to do disciplined work of daily practice.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest Ben Stoeger's or Steve Anderson's dry fire books. Pick ONE and consume their content, including podcasts if that's your thing. I chose Steve Anderson's material, but lots of people like Stoeger's stuff too. You're out $25. Follow their programs daily with your current gear til TAC CON and then re-consider.

I'm speaking as much to myself as to you. I've been down the revolver rabbit hole and found the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I'm on the second week of Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repetition program. We'll see where that goes. I have high expectations
    David S.

Site Supporter
    At the risk if thread drift, I finished reading "Be Fast, Be Accurate, Be the Best" by Bill Rodgers last night. For live fire, he suggests starting with a .22 revolver, then moving to a .22 conversion on your service/carry pistol, then bumping to 9mm. My only .22 handgun is a 22/45, but I did order a brick of .22LR tonight to go with my next case of 9mm. One of the three inch LCRs in .22 seems like it would be ideal. Anyway, Rodgers's book is definitely worth reading. Order it through his website ($25) and not from Amazon ($70).

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I guess I think $500 is better spent on a class than on a .22 revolver.
    Training wise I have done Tac Con 2016, a day with Frank Proctor and Tom Givens Defensive Pistol Two Day. Plus Gabe’s class in September.
    I’m going to Tac Con again in March, and will be taking Gabe’s class in Lakeland in April.
    I was going to say that Rich has some good training under his belt, but he beat me to it. I will add, though, that we often say that the purpose of training is to teach you what to practice.

...what are the odds I could stroll into my LGS and pick up a decent used DA .22 Revolver, for say $200? Is there a ‘Glock 19’ of DA Revolvers?
    For a .22 revolver, an LCR will be the best understudy to the center-fire LCR you already have.

I’ll check CDNN for holiday sales on .22 LCRs.
    No LCRs on sale for $200, but this is $280, and does have a DAO trigger:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer....html?___SID=U

However, you might be walking a little backwards going that route.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I was going to say that Rich has some good training under his belt, but he beat me to it. I will add, though, that we often say that the purpose of training is to teach you what to practice.
    Did any of his instructors tell him to buy a revolver to fix his trigger pull on an auto?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Years of revolver double action dry fire helped to create skill that transferred to Glock triggers and also to d.a. semi auto's.

User Tag List