Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSD User in My Front Yard

LSD User in My Front Yard

It was almost noon when I walked outside to put some things in my truck. I was surprised to see a man standing against my garage, staring intently at my neighbor’s place. He was crouched, using my garage to conceal himself. His back was turned, but he was wearing a dark vest and I though he was LE wearing body armor.

I said; “what’s going on?”

He faced me, and I realized he wasn’t law enforcement. Latino or mixed, shaved head, jeans and combat boots. Early to mid 30’s. Nothing in his hands.

He looked surprised. I asked him what he was doing, and after a moment, he eventually stammered, “Uh, uhm, does Jimmy, uh, Hopkins still live here?”

I told him no, and firmly suggested that he leave. He quickly walked away and disappeared down the street.

I called my local PD, and a unit showed up a couple mins later. (Benefit of living in a small city). The office asked me to clarify the guy’s appearance, then went to look for him.

The officer came back a few minutes later and said, “We got him. He’s high on LSD, that’s why he’s acting weird. He dropped a baggie of acid somewhere.”

I don’t know if they arrested him. In hindsight, I think the guy was scoping out my neighbor’s truck and trailer. My neighbor is a self-employed carpenter, and his vehicles contain all his tools.

So overall, a favorable outcome. Here’s some of my observations:

1) Don’t’ assume weird stuff won’t happen at noon on a sunny Saturday, in my driveway.

2) In the moment, I was aware that force was not appropriate in defense of property or simple trespass. I was also aware I was 7 yards away from a person acting furtively on my property. That person was taller than me and at about 15 years my junior. I also thought about the overlap between property crime and violent crime, as discussed by Dr. William April.

3) My pockets and beltline were empty of all items that might help if the situation devolved. In relaxed complacency, my pepper spray, phone, and ballistic tools were inside the house.

4) I have always assumed my dogs, including my Rottweiler mix, would hear prowlers and provide alarm and deterrence. That didn’t happen.

Like I said, a positive outcome. But it’s forced me to consider my plan for home and personal security. I’d welcome thoughts and input from folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    3) My pockets and beltline were empty of all items that might help if the situation devolved. In relaxed complacency, my pepper spray, phone, and ballistic tools were inside the house.
    I started wearing a shoulder holster as my house rig. For that role, it's great. It's way more comfortable to wear around the house/sit on the couch than having stuff on my belt.

The trade-off in cons is worth it to me as a house rig. I still use belt holsters for everything else.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    he was wearing a dark vest and I though he was LE wearing body armor.
    That's a classic example of your brain trying to make something abnormal into something that makes sense.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's a classic example of your brain trying to make something abnormal into something that makes sense.
    Yes, you're exactly right.

https://youtu.be/uOmtVFQ3WF8

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    https://youtu.be/uOmtVFQ3WF8

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I always did enjoy Hunter S. Thompson. Hopefully I looked like an Moray Eel to the dude.

Damn that sucks. Good reminder that weird stuff can go down anywhere, and not just in the Wal Mart parking lot.

Glad you kept your cool and all was ok.

Not sure I can add anything of value. I walk the dog early in the morning and it's generally dark. Lately I've been slipping in both a Ruger LCR in left pocket and a Sabre Red cannister in my right. Actually mostly I seem to have the LCR in a pocket almost all the time these days, absent going to or coming from work.

If I've taken time to put pants on, which is not the given so many seem to think, then I'll have a flashlight, a pistol & say a 95% chance, my phone on me. I got caught once in my 20's without a pistol when I desperately wanted one on my person and I did not enjoy the experience. I've spent a great deal of my working life on the dark side of the clock, so a good light lives in my left front pocket. I p-f'ing hate my computer communication box thingy, but I'm pretty good about having it on me.

My son climbs all over me and gets a lot less boo-boos from my AIWB j-frame than my G19, so that's what I'm wearing when I'm at home. An LCP or a Bobcat in the pocket would work for me, too.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 12-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Banned
    It's the odd week when I don't have to step over some random tweaker on my way to check the mail and every so often it is the SWAT team. Consequently if I'm not in bed or in the shower there is a gun on my person.

If its warm and relaxed enough of a day to warrant shorts, they are Carhartt shorts with large pockets, a belt with knife, nd pistol and 3 reloads in the right front pockets. Thats as relaxed as I get. Shoulder holsters do have a valid niche as around the house and yard rigs. Its nice to slip a 29 smith on when going outside without messing with full belt rig. a speed loader and couple strips go in available pockets.

User Tag List