Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ninety percent of shooting is trigger control

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Fantastic thread. I literally took notes to try at next range session and tonight with dry fire.

This is classic, rare-form, PF material.

I would add to this thread by saying...in my journey to stop yanking DA shots low on a B92, I've found its all trigger and mental. When I shoot in SA I shoot acceptably. In DA, I've found my mind conflating the long and heavy trigger pull to nuclear level recoil. There is nothing different but the two trigger characteristics.

@GJM suggested in doing ball and dummy and this has made a huge improvement.
    The DA issue is all mental when you can do the follow-up SA well. It’s actually pretty typical for TDA shooters to yank the 2ns shot (1st SA) more than the DA. The big factor is anticipating the DA is the time it takes to complete the stroke

Here are a couple of drills that might help the DA shot:

A variation of the wall drill where you progressively increase the speed of the DA press. I like to execute a DA press then release the trigger out only enough to simulate a SA press. Don’t let the trigger reset to the DA point. This allows you to realize (and practice) the DA and SA transition. Don’t forget to manually move the decocking lever. Failing to do this sets you up for failing to decocker during live fire.

An up drill where you progressively increase the speed of the DA trigger press as you snap the gun up on target. You will be surprised at how fast you can manipulate a DA trigger and get hits. Start with a slow press and increase as you go. The goal is the fire the DA shot when the gun is on target without waiting on the trigger. The speed of snapping the gun up from low ready and the DA press are interrelated. The faster the up, the faster you need to manipulate the trigger.

Both of these drills are designed to make you NOT think about pressing the trigger. The more you think about the DA (or really any trigger), the more chances you give your mind a chance to screw with your results.
    Last edited by LSP552; 12-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    The DA issue is all mental when you can do the follow-up SA well. It’s actually pretty typical for TDA shooters to yank the 2ns shot (1st SA) more than the DA. The big factor is anticipating the DA is the time it takes to complete the stroke

Here are a couple of drills that might help the DA shot:

A variation of the wall drill where you progressively increase the speed of the DA press. I like to execute a DA press then release the trigger out only enough to simulate a SA press. Don’t let the trigger reset to the DA point. This allows you to realize (and practice) the DA and SA transition. Don’t forget to manually move the decocking lever. Failing to do this sets you up for failing to decocker during live fire.

An up drill where you progressively increase the speed of the DA trigger press as you snap the gun up on target. You will be surprised at how fast you can manipulate a DA trigger and get hits. Start with a slow press and increase as you go. The goal is the fire the DA shot when the gun is on target without waiting on the trigger. The speed of snapping the gun up from low ready and the DA press are interrelated. The faster the up, the faster you need to manipulate the trigger.

Both of these drills are designed to make you NOT think about pressing the trigger. The more you think about the DA (or really any trigger), the more chances you give your mind a chance to screw with your results.
    Great stuff. thanks. I'll try these.

It is an interesting data point that the harder and faster I run the 92, the more accurate and consistent the DA shots are.

@GJM

Given the strong emphasis in JJ's interview and your AAR on resetting aggressively, do you think something like Gabe's Jerk the trigger drill would be useful if modified to have the finger position start where one would ideally end the trigger prep? Or would more benefit come from the 4 drills you shared?

When prepping/resetting the trigger aggressively, how deep do you want to go? I know you said it is gun-dependent on a previous thread, but would you be able to flesh that out a bit so I might be able to determine how deep I should be resetting?
    Last edited by scw2; 12-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    @GJM

Given the strong emphasis in JJ's interview and your AAR on resetting aggressively, do you think something like Gabe's Jerk the trigger drill would be useful if modified to have the finger position start where one would ideally end the trigger prep? Or would more benefit come from the 4 drills you shared?

When prepping/resetting the trigger aggressively, how deep do you want to go? I know you said it is gun-dependent on a previous thread, but would you be able to flesh that out a bit so I might be able to determine how deep I should be resetting?
    Check with Gabe, but JJ says to prep as aggressively as you can without making a loud noise, and during the learning stage early loud noises are a good thing as you experiment to see how far you can go. Deep prepping is the main difference for me between shooting fast splits and less fast ones!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List