Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ninety percent of shooting is trigger control

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Maybe once you've got the everything else locked in and are fine tuning. Personally, I'm not as good a shot as a lot of you and I find grip to be the majority. When my nerve issues caused my support hand grip strength to drop to roughly 30% of normal that didn't affect my trigger finger in the slightest but it sure affected my shooting.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Other than number 5, every other thing you mention in 1-4 is a defect in trigger control, which TPC defines “as isolating the trigger.”

Grip may mask poor trigger control, or allow you to execute your good trigger control faster, but it is not necessary for trigger control, as Rob Leatham demonstrates by shooting perfect A zone hits with the gun held just with two fingers.
    If you can’t shoot a B8 at slow fire speed, you surely can not shoot a B8 as fast speeds. The challenge of improving your shooting is to continue to the increase the speed you can move the trigger without disturbing the sights.
    Ok. I understand your point now.

However, I think it is more helpful and intuitive not to lump things having to do with body, arms, and hands into trigger control.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ok. I understand your point now.

However, I think it is more helpful and intuitive not to lump things having to do with body, arms, and hands into trigger control.
    I think in terms of TPC’s reactive shooting cycle, where step 2 is to “isolate the trigger,” and step three is to “let recoil happen.” If folks followed those steps sequentially, it would avoid all sorts of bad things.

Ernest and Gabe demo a drill, where they show you can grossly misalign your sights and still get good hits with good trigger control. The opposite is not true, as perfect sight alignment with gross trigger control leads to,really bad hits.

I think a bunch of folks here are wasting training effort on focusing on all sorts of things when their poor trigger control is what is holding them back.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think a bunch of folks here are wasting training effort on focusing on all sorts of things when their poor trigger control is what is holding them back.
    What things do you find help the most to work on trigger control? I have been thinking about spending at least some time at 25 yards or further every live fire session working on what I assume is trigger control.

Hammertime
    I am convinced that at least ninety percent of shooting is trigger control, and at least ninety percent of what is discussed here and elsewhere is about shooting stuff other than trigger control.
    90% of trigger control is forearm control, not yanking it off target by controlling recoil early.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    What things do you find help the most to work on trigger control? I have been thinking about spending at least some time at 25 yards or further every live fire session working on what I assume is trigger control.
    Short of practicing reloads, or close and dirty Bill drills, almost everything I practice, I think of as being about trigger control. Here are four drills that I think are pretty good as isolating trigger control at different speeds and distances.

Slow - shoot five rounds at a one inch square at 7 and 10 yards.

Medium speed and distance - shoot Garcia dots at 7 yards.

Further distance - put three or four eight inch steel at 25-30 yards, and draw and place two hits on all the steel.

Fast speed — do the Stoeger drill of repeatedly firing two shots as fast as you can and still hit the A zone at whatever distance you can work to.

I in no way believe I have mastered trigger control yet, and as long as I shoot I will be trying to improve how fast I can consistently move the trigger and still make a hit.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Dry fire, dry fire, and more dry fire. Despite shooting pistols regularly since my 21st birthday, I still tend to anticipate recoil. Not a pronounced flinch, but I can tell when I’m doing it. About two years ago I started dry firing regularly and have seen a huge improvement. I’ll start out with tight groups, and when they open up I still have to remind myself that I can’t outmuscle the recoil.

When I shoot my 22 I am right on. When I shoot my 9mm I pull my shots to the right. (I am left handed.) I therefore have to assume pulling my shots is not a result of my trigger press. Also, when I dry fire the bore laser light stays right on target.

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-11-2018 at 09:54 AM.

I been working with an RMR Glock and the things it has shown me about my trigger control is, well, embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Dry fire, dry fire, and more dry fire. Despite shooting pistols regularly since my 21st birthday, I still tend to anticipate recoil. Not a pronounced flinch, but I can tell when I’m doing it. About two years ago I started dry firing regularly and have seen a huge improvement. I’ll start out with tight groups, and when they open up I still have to remind myself that I can’t outmuscle the recoil.
    Start tossing some dummy rounds into the mix when you're packing mags. It's amazing how much they can help tame a flinch, or help reveal just how un-tame it is.

Also, I think I see where @GJM might be going with this: trigger control seems to be affected by many things upstream of the trigger finger.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 12-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List