Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick’s Sporting Goods In A Bind?

Dick’s Sporting Goods In A Bind?

Seems like things aren’t going well in the wake of their decision to drop black rifles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-zanotti%3famp.

Based on their store layout and inventory, I’m guessing that the hook-and-bullet vertical by itself is pretty minor for Dick’s and most of their margin comes from moderately affluent parents outfitting multiple kids for soccer, baseball, and other team sports. I think they underestimated how many of those folks might not appreciate an anti-2A course of action.

Inventory levels, meanwhile, rose 1 percent in the third quarter after falling 5 percent in the first half of 2018 with inventory days estimated to return back to 2015-2017 levels.
    I’m reading this to say that while some shoppers supported dropping black rifles for a few months, more of them have taken their trade elsewhere and have not come back.

In other words, there are more pro-2A shoppers than commonly imagined, pollsters and other media wizards can’t get a handle on us, we remember those who infringe on our civil rights, and we vote with our wallets.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Good. There are plenty of other sporting goods stores that aren’t Dick’s that has basically the same wares. I literally have 0 reason to ever step foot in their stores ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Why pay Dick’s prices, when Zappos gives great service and ships to my house. There is no good reason to shop at Dick’s.

So... Dick's sales are flaccid?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    So... Dick's sales are flaccid?
    I hear they’ve been soft for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the same vein, out son in-law works for Converse, who is owned by Nike. He was asking if I might be interested in a pair of fancy Nike sneakers for Christmas. I declined and requested a gift certificate to the Sig Academy instead. :-)

And yes, Dick's is on my never-never list too.

Dick's is getting hit pretty hard by all sides.

Soft goods are marked up about 3-400% in sporting goods, so most of your profit comes from volume sales of those. Shoes and clothes are cheaper elsewhere (Amazon, Zappos, etc.) it just doesn't make much sense to shop there.

Like Sports Authority, I expect Dick's to be dead in 5 years or less.

I live near REI headquarters and a bunch of my former colleagues are REI alums. Rumors have it that they're also suffering.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dick's is getting hit pretty hard by all sides.

Soft goods are marked up about 3-400% in sporting goods, so most of your profit comes from volume sales of those. Shoes and clothes are cheaper elsewhere (Amazon, Zappos, etc.) it just doesn't make much sense to shop there.

Like Sports Authority, I expect Dick's to be dead in 5 years or less.
    You just made a post with “Dick’s,” “Soft,” and “Hard,” yet the mods here say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I live near REI headquarters and a bunch of my former colleagues are REI alums. Rumors have it that they're also suffering.

Okie John
    Not surprising, REI is damned expensive too. I do shop there about once maybe twice a year, usually for a specific piece of gear/clothing. I use the REI Outlet a lot more.

User Tag List