Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How unsafe is it to shoot alone.

How unsafe is it to shoot alone.

So I finally received the Sig p266 Tac Ops I had decided upon as my new primary. The gun is Beautiful, So much so that i may never (want to) change the trigger or grip.

At this moment, I am going out of my mind trying to find time to go out and shoot it for the first time, Unfortunately over the next two weeks, there's no way I can get one of my regular shooting companions to go out to my cabin (where I usually do my shooting). My philosophy has always been that like hiking, swimming, etc...Shooting is something best done in the company of another living human in case something unexpected goes wrong.

The temptation of shooting this particular gun (and no, I can't stand indoor or controlled out-door ranges. I need to set up at least 3 silouettes and have at) is beginning to pry at my previous convictions.

Any good Samaritan willing to talk me out of this, now's you're time to shine.

I prefer to shoot alone frankly. Do what I want at my pace.

Carry a good first aid kit (blow out kit), keep the cell phone charged up and on your person, let someone know where you are and wear electronic ear pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I prefer to shoot alone frankly. Do what I want at my pace.

Carry a good first aid kit (blow out kit), keep the cell phone charged up and on your person, let someone know where you are and wear electronic ear pro.
    +1

I hate it when the know-it-all FUDDS show up while I'm there. I get to hear all sorts of wisdom emanating from their lips.

Clever things like:

Oh, are you playing cops n' robbers again?

You can always tell a .45 shooter. They're always looking for their brass.

Why do you guys shoot so fast?

Anybody can hit a target 3 yards away!

I'll give ya $50 for that gun yuck yuck yuck (while eyeballing my '41 Winchester 63 Deluxe.)

Never fails to impress me.

Of course, the originator of this unasked for wisdom is a major genius and knows everything about firearms.

I particularly enjoyed his "Put One Over The Berm" show one day at the range as he moved his ratty old Remington rolling block .22 (which he assures me is worth a small fortune) into position on the sandbags with his finger on the trigger.

Yes, he is eminently qualified.

I like shooting alone. No experts around to bother me.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I shoot alone the majority of the time.
    Cell phone and blow out kit are always nearby.
    I always keep a loaded concealed gun on my person (usually a Kahr PM9 in my pocket).
    Be hyper-aware of your fundamental safety rules and keep an eye on your surroundings for shady people.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I strongly prefer to shoot alone or with vetted shooters in controlled access locations.

However...don't shoot yourself. As noted, have nearby IFAK/BOK and cel phone--like within arms reach.

Also, if not in a controlled access location, be wary of criminals who might attempt to steal your firearms. Always carry a loaded firearm available for self-defense.

Keep a hideout gun on you and don't shoot yourself.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I was going to say "Keep a cell phone and blowout kit handy, and make sure you've always got a loaded gun on," but all the smart people have already said that.

Al T. brings up a good point that electronic muffs aren't just for when you need to talk to somebody; when you're shooting alone they help you remain aware of your surroundings.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Alone or with a VERY good friend. The Fudds drag me down, never fails to have some guy that won't leave me the hell alone and test the limits of my manners.

Wow times like these remind me of how fortunate I have been. Always having a private range and no "experts" to worry about..... I will echo the advice given already and told to me by my father. Always have a loaded gun and don't leave anything behind you that can be used against you, such as a long gun. Never shoot all your ammo and if someone does make there way to the range they ain't there looking for gas or directions.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    How safe?

If you are punching paper and not testing the ballistic strength of various household objects at close range or some other youtube quality disaster waiting to happen, then shooting alone is quite safe to preferred. You don't have to worry about dealing with other people.

User Tag List