• P2000

5 6.58%
  • P30

5 6.58%
  • G19 Gen5

44 57.89%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Downsizing & Rethinking

I generally have regretted selling any of my 9mm service type pistols.
    Just saying.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Which mag release do you like better? Paddle vs button is one of the largest differences between those guns...

Site Supporter
    The P-07 is a nice TDA option.

Seems like a better question first might be "Hammer/TDA or some flavor of fully/partially tensioned striker?" Out of those, I would personally choose the PX4, but it's almost a wash. Or go with an outside hire like a P07. Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Nothing wrong with a Glock 19 either.

Of the options presented, I would start by axing the P2000. It's the red-headed stepchild of the HK hammer series, with neither the aftermarket support of the USP/USP Compact, nor the ergonomics of the P30/VP9. The VP9 and P30 would be next to consider dropping, since at that point the primary difference is striker vs TDA, but it won't hurt to keep both since magazines are interchangable.

If I had to tell you to keep only one, however, it would be the Glock, simply because the Glock 19 is a gun I think every shooter should own and the Gen 5 models are by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXsilverXXX View Post
    So I want to downsize, and I currently own 2 vp9, a px4cc, p2000, & a p30. Also a STI 2011 in 45acp that I haven’t shot in probably 5 years sitting and collecting dust that I badly want to get rid of but can’t bring myself to sell. The 9mm shield I have may fund a 642 so I can still have a pocket pistol.
    I shoot every gun reasonably well (haven’t shot the g19 gen5). Getting better is going to be down to concentrating on one set of guns, and getting rid of the rest so I have no distractions. Using the Money from selling the others for more ammo, and hopefully a class or two if I ever have any time.
    Appendix carry? If yes, the PX4CC - sell everything else and buy another PX4CC.

If no, keep the VP9s and sell everything else and buy a VP9 SK to augment those two.

That's what I would do.

And 2011s can generally be disappeared to someone else's safe who will use them (if that's a consolation). The .45 is a little tougher than a 9 or .40, but it'll sell. I'd tell you to just send it to my FFL and I'll send you a check, but my wife keeps telling me she wants a "house". What good is a house if I don't have twelve STIs to house inside of it?!

Site Supporter
    2 VP9s and 2 P30s make sense from a magazine perspective. You could add a P30sk and a VP9sk and have parallel striker and hammer setups. I'm currently quite enamoured with my P30, but earlier in the year I was quite enamoured with my PX4cc. I would be content to use either model for edc instead of my Glocks. All the pistols you listed are good pistols, so there's no wrong answer.

My 1911 is sitting in the LGS on consignment right now. I don't miss it and I hope it sells soon.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I think RevolverRob had a good suggestion and I vote for that.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I think RevolverRob had a good suggestion and I vote for that.
    This! But if you liked the universal availability of all things Glock, keep the 19.5, have a sale to get some cash and then wait for SHOT 19 before making any other purchases.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Am I the only one who reads the OP to say he doesn’t actually own a G19.5?

I shoot every gun reasonably well
    I suspect you may be in a situation like I am, and wanting to do something about it. Achieved what feels like a reasonable post-beginner level of all-around fundamentals that seem to transfer reasonably well between most platforms. But wanting to get to more advanced levels by focusing on one gun.

Get over it and ditch the STI. Get a shot timer and buy however much 9mm you can afford at the favorable prices currently available. Solve the logistical problem of where to shoot (rapid fire, changing targets and distance at will without supervision, holster work, etc.) Start with a bunch of dry fire practice with each gun. At least a couple weeks of every night. Include presentations from a low ready. It’s almost certain that one or more of what you have will walk itself out the door. Focus on each one of what’s left for a couple months, or a few thousand rounds of live fire. Use the timer, take detailed notes. You will get better, you will find more that works for you or doesn’t.

You’ll know which one you want to move forward with.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List