5 6.58%
  • P30

5 6.58%
  • G19 Gen5

44 57.89%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Downsizing & Rethinking

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Another thought, since you're range time challenged, is to focus on dry fire practice effectiveness.

It's been posted by many here, and I found the same, that dry practice is substantially enhanced with a DA or DAO trigger. No need to reset, just press away. Double taps, etc. If nothing else, you can get a lot more presses in a much shorter time. Just leave a snap cap in the chamber and hammer on it until there are little brass flakes everywhere. It was helpful for me.

I've only shot a magazine through a PX4CC, but my distinctive impression was that there was a much more notable difference in the position of the break between DA and SA pulls, much greater than the classic Sigs and USPs that I am more used to. It was dark and smoky, and a long time ago, so my memory may not be perfect, but that was enough for me to not spend a lot more brain cells on the poly Beretta.

George has mentioned having caused himself problems with a dedicated dry fire program on the USP. I am not sure how that carries over on the P2000 and P30, but I concur with his observation as it applies to the USP. The DA press is just too heavy to do a lot of reps.

All of which is leading to a suggestion to pick up an inexpensive DA pistol as a dry fire work horse. The cheapest GP100 on GunBroker and a little slickifying or an old Model 64 trade-in from wherever they come up cheap next would be excellent. I also find the later P250s to be excellent. The P250 is a gun that lots of people around here love to hate, but I suspect some of that comes from them being "tip of the spear" types. Like everything it does, Sig stomped on its noodle with the launch of that gun, so pretty much anybody who had exposure to the early ones thinks they are utter crap. But the later ones seem to be decent. I had some issues with mine, but it was traced to a specific ammo defect (lack of crimp after bullet seating) that I was able to correct and get 100 percent reliability without touching the gun. The DA pull is superbly smooth. The old 96D trade-ins on GB can also be had for cheap, and that's basically as smooth as a semi-auto DA is ever going to be.

Any of these will let you do a ton of dry fire reps in a short amount of time, which is both more efficient (important, given your apparent ability to get range time in) and more enjoyable and satisfying, so you're more likely to do it every day.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-12-2018 at 05:06 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List