Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to do in Dallas late December

Things to do in Dallas late December

I will be staying in downtown Dallas by myself the week before Christmas. What are some of the interesting things to do/see around there?
    In addition to firearms, I like military history.
    Also, is it recommended to get a rental car or public transit should be enough?
    Last edited by Andy T; 12-09-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Walk the ground around the Texas Schoolbook Depository and study the geometry of how the Kennedy assassination went down.

Eat BBQ.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

We didn’t get excited by the Perot Museum, maybe the kids are too young. We really do like the Dallas Aquarium tho. I’m a big fan of Pecan Lodge for BBQ downtown. Pioneer Park is pretty cool too.
    David S.

I just need to know things to do in Dallas in general.

I moved to the endless suburban sprawl in north DFW and it's just chain restaurants and dentist offices.

In Dallas car or bust. The Light Rail does okay, but you'd be best to go rental car if it's not an excessive expense.

Downtown:

Perot Museum
    Sixth Floor Museum
    Dealey Plaza
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas Aquarium
    El Fenix Mexican Restaurant original location (right around the corner from Perot).

Near Downtown in the Park Cities area:

Jackson Armory for staring at guns you can probably to maybe afford (across the street from SMU and the Bush Library)
    Holland & Holland Gun Room (yes the British shotgun makers) for staring at guns you probably can't afford
    Campisi's 'Egyptian' Restaurant on Mockingbird (actually Italian; Google this for why it's an interesting piece of Dallas history)

Cross over I-75 from Park Cities on Greenville Avenue and stop at Siegel's Liquor if you're a bourbon drinker. I found plenty of W.L. Weller Special Reserve and some W.L. Weller 12-year ("Baby Pappy") in stock last time I was there.

Points farther

GT Distributors (cop shop/gun shop, usually good prices on carry ammo)
    A casual drive around White Rock Lake to study the home architecture of some of Dallas's oldest and nicest homes
    Stop by Burger House on Mockingbird for a burger and fries
    Shoot a match at the Dallas Pistol Club (http://dallaspistolclub.com/competition) - if you get lucky there might be a Nyeti sighting...
    At Dallas Love Field is the Frontiers of Flight Air Museum

Done other random suggestions:
    Lots of good craft breweries. But their hours are generally limited to weekends
    AT&T Stadium (Dallas Cowboys) apparently has an interesting tour.
    Main Street in Grapevine is a fun little small town area that’s all lit up for Christmas. I’m sure there are others.
    Gas Monkey Garage
    David S.

Site Supporter
    The Stockyards in Fort Worth is kinda touristy and more family/kid oriented if I remember correctly. The Rodeo at the Cowtown Coliseum was fun. At least I enjoyed seeing that in the small venue vs. the nosebleed seats at the Houston Rodeo at the NRG center.

I am planning on being there Mon - Sun is this overkill or are there enough things to do in that time?
    I also don't mind going on road trips - 2 hours drive or so.

Some good ideas in this thread - Perot, 6th Floor Museum, see what is at the Windspear and other venues in the Arts District, the Arboretum...

User Tag List