Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you consider getting a DA/SA gun for appendix carry?

I am with Todd in that LEM gives me perception of sufficient margin of safety.

I am with Rich and gtmt in that I can't bring myself to aiwb the glock.

I am fine with carrying a 1911 that way, go figure, I guess two safeties put me at relative ease. I repeat, relative.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well I've already been shot so.....
    True, guess you are like a cat, 8 to go.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I was referring to lightning hopefully not striking twice
    I have a theory that it was God's way of punishing you for buying a Kimber.

I think I've asked this before, but are any of the AIWB holsters constructed of kevlar or designed to contain a bullet if the gun is fired? I would think that working that into the design of the holster really wouldn't be too hard. Even if it just helped slow the bullet down or deflect it. I know that training and awareness are the number one way to reduce your risk, but manufacturing improvements would help minimize it too.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I think I've asked this before, but are any of the AIWB holsters constructed of kevlar or designed to contain a bullet if the gun is fired? I would think that working that into the design of the holster really wouldn't be too hard. Even if it just helped slow the bullet down or deflect it. I know that training and awareness are the number one way to reduce your risk, but manufacturing improvements would help minimize it too.
    worst idea ever

"pretty sure I can carelessly re-holster because my holster has kevlar in it."
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    "pretty sure I can carelessly re-holster because my holster has kevlar in it."
    I think it is pretty clear from Rob's post that he doesn't advocate careless gun handling at all; read his last sentence carefully. All he is asking for is extra margin of safety, in addition to careful gun handling.

I think it is a great idea conceptually, but not attainable in practical sense. Kevlar would need to be too thick to contain bullet; with thinner layer, deflection could be unpredictable and can make things worse.

Indeed I was too harsh. my apologies.

though its a stretch, it did somewhat remind me of the temporary rise in traffic fatalities after airbags became common.

airbags initially gave people a false sense of security, and a higher percentage of people with airbags that otherwise would have did not wear their seatbelts and thus a short spike in otherwise preventable fatalities.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

How much would kevlar actually help at point blank range? Serious question.

Depends on how much kevlar, I guess. Level III-A armor is supposed to stop contact pistol shots, I believe - but it is a lot of thickness for a holster.

I agree that there is a possibility that adding such a feature, if possible, may induce some to be less careful when holstering. however, I still think it a valid idea. I know a few people (and in Canada nonetheless) who AIWB with Glocks, and they just get a creepy feeling everytime they holster. I doubt they'd get careless if they knew the holster might help contain an ND.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List