Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to decontaminate my gun?

How to decontaminate my gun?

As a new shooter I was completely unaware that shooting exposes one to significantly toxic levels of lead. I've put 1200 of relatively dirty American Eagle 9mm FMJ flat nose through my gun in my first 3 weeks of shooting and unfortunately, while lead exposure is completely unacceptable to me, I'm also hooked.
    I'm thinking that if I attend my local outdoor range during non peak hours I can avoid exposure from other shooters and, by using Win Clean or American Eagle TMJ, I can reduce my own exposure. My first problem is how do I clean my Gen 4 Glock 17 so that I'm not contaminating my living room every time I practice dry firing (one can carry enough lead from the gun range on skin and clothing to put family members at risk) . Can anyone give me some informed advice on how to do this effectively (respectfully I'm not interested in speculation and "opinion" on this. I'd like to know how to do it properly and scientifically).

Site Supporter
    You'll be fine.. Lead is a bigger problem for developing brains (children). Adults are at low risk with just some simple precautions.

1. Use a range with good ventilation, with a steady flow of air from behind you. Or shoot outdoors with the wind at your back. This will minimize inhaled lead.
    2. Always wash your hands after shooting. My range has a special soap for lead removal on all the sinks.
    3. Avoid touching your clothing, hair, etc and then eating or drinking anything. Change your clothes and wash up after shooting, before eating.

I'm sure others will be along with additional suggestions...

Many folks here have shot in excess of 100,000 rounds. I'd bet only a small minority of them are crazy.

Lots of cleaning products for your gun.. here's a good video.. there are many like it.
    Hoppes #9 has been my go-to since the first round I ever fired. Many other products are also good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ud2M1gGlU

I would start off by wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning. They are cheap and you can buy them in bulk at the hardware store.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would start off by wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning. They are cheap and you can buy them in bulk at the hardware store.
    Actually, I'm not sure that might not react with cleaning solvents. I've been trying to find D-lead, Leadtech or Hygenall wipes but I can't seem to find them in Vancouver.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nternal View Post
    As a new shooter I was completely unaware that shooting exposes one to significantly toxic levels of lead.
    As a not new shooter who hasn't yet had a blood test come back with elevated lead levels, I think the fear of lead exposure may be slightly overblown.

If you worked every day at an indoor range and were responsible for cleaning the place up you'd certainly want to take precautions to protect yourself the same way that x-ray techs in the hospital who work around significant levels of radiation for umpteen hours a day several days a week take extra precautions against radiation exposure.

Short of that you are probably not terribly likely to encounter a problem. If you're at a decently ventilated indoor range and you do sensible things like washing your hands properly after the range session then you're not going to poison yourself by shooting or cleaning the firearm.

Actually, I'm not sure that might not react with cleaning solvents. I've been trying to find D-lead, Leadtech or Hygenall wipes but I can't seem to find them in Vancouver.
    I have used nitrile gloves with Hoppes #9, MPro7, WD40, Wipe Out, Sweets, and Frog Lube without any issues, not to mention gasoline, oil, and other chemicals found when working on the car or lawnmower.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    As a not new shooter who hasn't yet had a blood test come back with elevated lead levels, I think the fear of lead exposure may be slightly overblown.
    Hopefully you're right but all the government/scientific research on toxic lead levels at gun ranges that I've encountered suggests this is a significant risk. Apparently, even what you track home from the range is enough to put family members at risk. I didn't know anything about this, and while I wash my hands after shooting, I wasn't showering or worrying about the cloths I was wearing. I suspect that, short term, this isn't a problem but... I do want to begin safe practices that will serve me over the long term. As a late baby boomer I grew up with lead gasoline and probably already have more than my fair share built up in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have used nitrile gloves with Hoppes #9, MPro7, WD40, Wipe Out, Sweets, and Frog Lube without any issues, not to mention gasoline, oil, and other chemicals found when working on the car or lawnmower.
    Thanx, I think the gloves suggestion is very smart and I think I'll try it. I have access to nitrile gloves at work so there's no excuse.

Hopefully you're right but all the government/scientific research on toxic lead levels at gun ranges that I've encountered suggests this is a significant risk. Apparently, even what you track home from the range is enough to put family members at risk. I didn't know anything about this, and while I wash my hands after shooting, I wasn't showering or worrying about the cloths I was wearing. I suspect that, short term, this isn't a problem but... I do want to begin safe practices that will serve me over the long term. As a late baby boomer I grew up with lead gasoline and probably already have more than my fair share built up in my system.
    One word of caution - I would bet that just about every government/scientific study out there was conducted with the goal of showing how dangerous guns are to scare folks away from shooting.

I seriously question the claim that you can track enough lead home to be injurious. Maybe if you shoot at an indoor range with no ventilation and unswept floors but otherwise very doubtful.

Hopefully you're right but all the government/scientific research on toxic lead levels at gun ranges that I've encountered suggests this is a significant risk. Apparently, even what you track home from the range is enough to put family members at risk.
    Can you post a link to these studies? This is the first I heard of this. What TCinVA said is exactly what I've always understood. I stay away from unjacketed lead rounds and wash my hands, and never heard that wasn't enough.

As a late baby boomer I grew up with lead gasoline and probably already have more than my fair share built up in my system.
    Drink some apple cider vinegar. Nature's elixir!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List