Thread: M60 Pro

M60 Pro

Does anyone have any experience with the 3” M60 Pro model 178013? I have a chance to pick up an item at the LGS at a discount (basically online pricing so not a screaming deal) and this is one of the items that caught my attention. I’ve long wanted a 640 Pro and I do like 3” wheelies. I have a 3” SP101 in the safe that may be a little too close.

I have had one for a couple of years, quite pleased with it. Probably 500 rounds of full power .357 loads and triple that number in .38 special loads down range with it. It is not really pleasant with those 357's but as a .38 special launcher mine has been satisfactory. First thing I did was rid myself of the lock/flag and replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one.

It feels much lighter and smaller than my 3" SP101, but unlike this gun, I am happy to shoot the SP101 with the magnum loads.

I did not like the factory stocks and put a set of Sile birdshead grips on mine and it feels "just right" with those.

The only thing that seems awkward to me is the adjustable sights. They are the traditional S&W adjustable sights, sharp edges and all, and my feeling is this should have probably been a fixed sight model instead. Also the tritium dot in the front sight is deeply embedded in the front sight, only visible in low light when you have fully indexed the gun toward the target. Not that important to me.

I have a revolver holster that slides into and attaches the inside top of my 11" cowboy boots and that is where this gun gets carried, mostly in the forest and then as gun #2. For me its purpose could bet met equally well with a M36-1 3" but those are getting hard to find and the stainless finish is easier to maintain down here in the South.

I would choose the SP101 as a magnum launcher as I said, but this 3" 60 seems much easier to carry from a weight perspective in that calf position where I use it, even though the difference is just 4oz.
    Last edited by fatdog; 12-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Grabbed one of these a few days ago. Haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it yet but just handling and dry fire around the house I’m really liking it. Need to drop an Apex kit in, neuter the lock and chamfer the cylinders.

Zombie post

I saw one of these at a local gun shoppe and I seem to be smitten with it. I really like the way it looks for some reason. It would be a good companion to my 63 3".

The catch is that I actually used to have a 60 3" non-pro model that I traded for a 66 Combat Magnum because I didn't really like shooting it. I like shooting the 66 but I don't like carrying it.

I still just can't get that Pro it out of my mind though.

I keep hoping when I stop by that someone will have bought it but it is still there.

Do either of you guys still have your Model 60 Pros? Still liking it?

Still have it, still loving it. I shot it in the Revolver Round Up last year with no problems other than the but behind the trigger.

Sold mine to a good friend who really wanted it back in October. When I carry a J frame it is usually an airweight and while this is a good gun, I just found I never left the house with it. The new owner is quite pleased and does carry the thing frequently. If the size weight configuration fit my wants and needs and I carried it, I would still have it.

Also had one and sold it. Didnt like the tiny rear notch and at that time there were no front sight options. Half a box of 125gn convinced me I better stop that or I was going to induce an anticipation shooting error.
    For me personally to keep it i would have had to gone to a fixed rear with corresponding front and as with all my j frames and hand size, grips that enclose the backstrap. preferably rubber if I was going to shoot much 357.
    I never regretted selling it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Thanks guys.

I am still on the fence.

There are things I like and things I don't. Maybe it won't be there next time I go.

If I go there and it has a great trigger, I will likely get it. If not, that might break my infatuation, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Thanks guys.

I am still on the fence.

There are things I like and things I don't. Maybe it won't be there next time I go.

If I go there and it has a great trigger, I will likely get it. If not, that might break my infatuation, finally.
    Gosh I cant believe I posted that. This forum is all about enabling. Hope I don’t get banned. Of COURSE you should buy it!!
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I was carrying mine a lot as a belt gun. The curves on a J conceal better for me than a G19 sized pistol. That said the 365XL pretty much disappears and has become my EDC with the M60 moving more to a ball and dummy range gun. That said if Bloomberg takes us to 6 rounds I won’t feel bad putting it back on.

User Tag List