Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State of Video Game Systems

Quote Originally Posted by XXXsilverXXX View Post
    I feel like you might of taken that the wrong way, it’s just ps4 & Xbox have a more mature and rough audience...
    This is true, typically. Not you can’t find more mature games on the Switch or lighter games on the PS4/Xbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    re: the Switch...

Can anyone decipher or explain the controller situation for me? I read this, so I get the basics...
    https://www.console-deals.com/advice...h-controllers/

The thing comes with one "joy con" (meaning a pair) and one "grip"?

Would it make sense to add one more "joy con" and two more "Pro Controllers"? Would an extra "joy con" come with the "grip" to attach them to one another?

Thoughts on a "charging doc"?

I don't want to over-complicate the thing, but at the same time I don't want to unwrap some game system that we can't all four play and have fun right away. That fist 30 minutes is going to go a long way toward winning mommy over (and also being able to keep the thing in the living room attached to the 65" tv vs stuck in the guest house attached to the 42 incher...)
    Get at least an extra set of Joy Con. A good deal of the 4 player games can be played with each person using half of one set. That being said, your best bet is to buy the controllers that you’re going to be using for the games you buy. So without knowing the games you plan on getting the best answer you can get is “it depends”. Hand size also is a determining factor. If you have giant hands, you’d probably benefit from having a Pro controller than trying to play with half a Joy Con for extended periods.

I have smedium hands and sometimes the Joy Con can be a bit small for me too.

We got an Xbox One for the girls (currently 7, 9, and just turned 12) last Christmas.

They play it occasionally but not as much as I thought they might. They've all played minecraft and Roblox a lot, and the middle one has played Forza Horizion a bunch, surprisingly. I wish there were more fun options for local multiplayer that we could play together at the same time. They have done a lot of multiplayer on Minecraft and Roblox by using multiple devices (computer, phone, tablet) at the same time. Some of the stuff we thought they'd like, they've hardly touched. The oldest was all about Sims but didn't like playing it on the console (which i think is fair, that interface is nicer with a mouse).

One nice thing about Xbox is that I haven't bought a single game since the initial purpose, I paid up for GamePass and for $10 a month I have downloaded and played all sorts of games, both old and new.

For family fun, I think Nintendo nails it. Their availability of games like MarioCart and SuperSmashBros is really targeted at the casual gamer/family market much better than Xbox and PS, I think.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    We got an Xbox One for the girls (currently 7, 9, and just turned 12) last Christmas.

They play it occasionally but not as much as I thought they might. They've all played minecraft and Roblox a lot, and the middle one has played Forza Horizion a bunch, surprisingly. I wish there were more fun options for local multiplayer that we could play together at the same time. They have done a lot of multiplayer on Minecraft and Roblox by using multiple devices (computer, phone, tablet) at the same time. Some of the stuff we thought they'd like, they've hardly touched. The oldest was all about Sims but didn't like playing it on the console (which i think is fair, that interface is nicer with a mouse).

One nice thing about Xbox is that I haven't bought a single game since the initial purpose, I paid up for GamePass and for $10 a month I have downloaded and played all sorts of games, both old and new.

For family fun, I think Nintendo nails it. Their availability of games like MarioCart and SuperSmashBros is really targeted at the casual gamer/family market much better than Xbox and PS, I think.
    I think Nintendo games in general are still more generally accessible and easier to get into that other platforms IMHO. But, just for perspective, people are still playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) on a Professional/Competitive level. So while it may look casual and can be a fun casual game, it can also be played to a higher level.

Try playing Mario Kart 8 on 200cc. It gets....interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I think Nintendo games in general are still more generally accessible and easier to get into that other platforms IMHO. But, just for perspective, people are still playing Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) on a Professional/Competitive level. So while it may look casual and can be a fun casual game, it can also be played to a higher level.

Try playing Mario Kart 8 on 200cc. It gets....interesting...

It wasn't a knock on them, by any means. People are competitive. Anything that can be scored, will eventually get organized, with sponsors, money, and prestige. Games, guns, anything powered by fuel or gravity, you name it.

Nintendo has more ".22" games. People can shoot .22s at tin cans in the yard, they can take them to a steel challenge match, or they can do 50m olympic shooting at insane levels of precision. The point of entry is lower for the non-enthusiast user.
    --Josh

It wasn't a knock on them, by any means. People are competitive. Anything that can be scored, will eventually get organized, with sponsors, money, and prestige. Games, guns, anything powered by fuel or gravity, you name it.

Nintendo has more ".22" games. People can shoot .22s at tin cans in the yard, they can take them to a steel challenge match, or they can do 50m olympic shooting at insane levels of precision. The point of entry is lower for the non-enthusiast user.
    Fair enough and I agree. I’m just making sure that whomever may be uninformed doesn’t read “Switch = kids toy” and therefore isn’t suitable for anyone above a certain age group past a certain interest point.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Fair enough and I agree. I’m just making sure that whomever may be uninformed doesn’t read “Switch = kids toy” and therefore isn’t suitable for anyone above a certain age group past a certain interest point.

No way. Those games are all FUN. AS. SHIT.

I think the reality check is that if you're an adult who wants to occasionally play, it's tough to just jump on and play 30 minutes here or there with a lot of the world of games these days. I've started and played a bit with so many games but I don't have time in life to wander around in Falloutland for all of eternity.
    --Josh

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    No way. Those games are all FUN. AS. SHIT.

I think the reality check is that if you're an adult who wants to occasionally play, it's tough to just jump on and play 30 minutes here or there with a lot of the world of games these days. I've started and played a bit with so many games but I don't have time in life to wander around in Falloutland for all of eternity.
    Same here. Before beating Breath of the Wild, the last game I played all the way through was Skyward Sword. I used to be into Final Fantasy and all the RPG's... I just don't have time for that any more.

I'll take all challengers in Mario Kart though.

Made some progress on the home front yesterday. We were at Bass Pro visiting Santa and we saw some switch games. The wife started asking about a video game system, which one we should get (she seemed to be on the Xbone and PS4 train at first). Her concern is all the "junk" cluttering up the living room. I assured her that the system could be wall-mounted behind the TV, and the controllers could be kept in a basket out of sight somewhere. She asked about "how do you load the games if it's behind the tv?" to which I assured her that you don't insert disks or cartridges anymore, you just download the game from the internet.

Was I wrong about any of this?

We chose the Switch for our family last Christmas. Our "gamers" include three kids (8, 11, and 14) and my wife. It jas been a huge hit.

I don't follow game releases closely, so I don't know everything that's available, but I can share the games that our family has enjoyed:

My wife played Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Odysee all the way through. Mario can be played collaboratively and the kids would often join her. Both games looked amazing.

The kids and their friends have love playing Arms, Mario Cart 8, Splatoon 2, and Minecraft. Those are simple enough that even I can jump in with the kids and have a lot of fun (I haven't been into video games since Metal Gear Solid on the PS2). We have the new Super Smash Bros Ultimate wrapped and ready for this Christmas because they enjoy playing an older version on a friend's Wii U.

Others have offered solid advice on the controllers. While you can play with one Joy Con, many of the games are easier to play with a full controller (full controller = two Joy Cons in a grip or a pro controller). I'd have as many full controllers available as you expect to have regular players.

User Tag List