Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do agenices use Shockwave type guns?

Site Supporter

Do agenices use Shockwave type guns?

I was arguing elsewhere that a Shockwave was not an appropriate weapon for a newbie house gun as my reading is that most pros don't think highly of the platform

An opposing view cited: https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...rotection-870/

So what's the state of usage of such guns by Law Enforcement. My take is that most argue for stocked shotguns nowadays.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was arguing elsewhere that a Shockwave was not an appropriate weapon for a newbie house gun as my reading is that most pros don't think highly of the platform

An opposing view cited: https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...rotection-870/

So what's the state of usage of such guns by Law Enforcement. My take is that most argue for stocked shotguns nowadays.
    Where LE departments will issue an 14in SBS, I'd personally rather have the SBS in breaching/room clearing - but for a defensive role such as Witsec or from-a-vehicle the TAC-14/Shockwave has a hell of a lot of perks in compactness.

I'm friends with one LEO that has set up a personally owned TAC-14 as his Less Lethal (aka bean bag) shotgun with his supervisor's blessing. In addition to being that much more visually different than the traditional 'lethal' shotgun, the compactness has advantages with storage & slinging it on the individual officer. Apparently if his use of it goes well, his PD may authorize it for individual purchase and may even go on to replace all the Less Lethal shotguns with TAC-14's.
    It's still in the very early phase of that evaluation, though.

Edit:

Overall, we need to keep in mind that LE and Military organizations are much slower-moving and generally very reluctant to change weapon systems, especially in newly-found niches like the TAC-14/Shockwave. So I expect it'll be several years before we see any widespread use of such 'other firearms' in LE capacity, especially if they're PD-owned and issued.
    Hell, look how long it took LE to move away from revolvers, and how long it took the military to be okay with PMags.
    Last edited by JRB; 12-07-2018 at 02:47 PM.

I don't think pistol-gripped shotguns like the Shockwave or TAC-14 are newly found niches.

They used to be a thing back before everyone realized they weren't a great idea. I'm not aware of any reputable LE agency/unit using pistol-gripped shotguns for anything except breaching guns.

It's a fad...it will pass, just like the stupid fucking tactical coach-guns and tactical over-unders that people wet their panties over a couple years back. It's the gun industry version of how college kids today are wearing high-waist loose-cut pants and acid washed jeans.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-07-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think their utility is their size. Great for using from a vehicle or stowing in a ruck or pushing through a swamp.

If I was grabbing a shotgun for a fight I'd want something with a few more rounds on board.

I don't think they'll ever be adopted agency wide. Their shoot ability is directly related to the shooters upper body strength.

I was, for a brief period in the late '90's issued a birds head grip 14" 870 for a special detail.

They are more capable than most people think they are, but much less capable than a 14" 870 with a youth stock, an MP5, a 10" AR15, or probably any one of a half dozen guns that the high speed kids have started using since I hung it up and became a regular guy.

I was very fond of my 14" 870 with a full stock, not just because of the fact that the stock bore a distinct set of teeth marks, but because it was light, handy and fast.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

With patrol rifles being common even stocked shotguns get left behind. I don't think you'll see LE using Shockwaves.

Possibly because older 870s lasted a long time we had a lot of shotguns, as in a lot more shotguns than vehicles. As patrol cars got tighter shotguns were sent out (I believe) and chopped to 14", had some sort of coating (ROBAR?), sights, etc added. SWAT shotguns got chopped/sights in house and no coating. A few got super chopped as breaching guns with the barrels only as long as the mag tube. Other than that we had no use for pistol grip shotguns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    ... the stock bore a distinct set of teeth marks...
    Umm, canine? Human? Ursine? Indeterminate?

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Umm, canine? Human? Ursine? Indeterminate?
    Scrote.

The back story is the gun was the main squeeze of a guy that retired a few months after I joined up. The teeth marks were from a guy, who because he was being snotty with a knife, my retiree could have smoked, but he didn't because said's scrotes baby's momma and ostensible baby were in the back drop. So Randy smote him across the face with the buckstock, breaking his jaw and leaving his teeth all over the floor of the trailer home.

I was one of the few people with a 5 digit DPSST number interested in shotguns, so he bequeathed it to me.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 12-07-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Scrote.

The back story is the gun was the main squeeze of a guy that retired a few months after I joined up. The teeth marks were from a guy, who because he was being snotty with a knife, my retiree could have smoked, but he didn't because said's scrotes baby's momma and ostensible baby were in the back drop. So Randy smote him across the face with the buckstock, breaking his jaw and leaving his teeth all over the floor of the trailer home.

I was one of the few people with a 5 digit DPSST number interested in shotguns, so he bequeathed it to me.
    Not often you get to use both "scrote" and "smote" in the same casual conversation... well played...
    Last edited by blake_g; 12-10-2018 at 11:59 AM.

We’re issued 14” 870’s, which are great.

The only Shockwave-type weapon I know of at my place was used by my predecessors in the narc unit years ago. One of them woud keep it in the surveillance car while doing buys with informants. I’m not sure of whatever happened to it.

User Tag List