Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Police Training-- Unrealistic Expectations?

Getting back to the original thread topic, how to interest the troops to do better ? I’m retired now, so I got plenty of time to watch Adam-12 reruns. In the pilot episode (1968), the shift Lieutenant advises the senior man Malloy that he will be getting a new rookie partner named Reed, who “graduated fourth in his Academy class and is shooting four dollar money”. Wow, a department that actually put more in your paycheck to shoot a higher score. Anybody know if LAPD or any police agency still do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Anybody know if LAPD or any police agency still do that ?
    They still shoot the Bonus Course. The amount awarded has never been adjusted so it more for bragging rights.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I've repeatedly argued for Comp Time awards for marksmanship (my suggestion was 4 hours for a 270, 6 hours for a 290, 8 hours for a 300). Since we only qualify twice a year, the agency would be "losing" a maximum of two work days for guys/gals who can shoot a "possible" on the qual.

The "management" response is that as long as people make a 240, who cares how they shoot...

The smartest guy I ever worked for used to say (when discussing training and motivating special operations soldiers) "You get the behavior you incentivize" If only others would realize this basic truth...

User Tag List