Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Coyote gun

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Perhaps one of these will be available for chickens soon .....

https://www.coyotevest.com/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Over the last couple of weeks I've shot two critters on my property, both because they were getting into the cat food on the back porch (yes, I know, move the cat food, blah, blah, not the critter's fault, blah, blah, but domestic bliss supercedes). Both times with a suppressed .22 MKIII Ruger shooting subsonic something or others.

The first one was a very large coon. I got him in the ass, as evidenced by the complete frenzy he launched into, but I found not blood and no body.

The second was a opossum. I got him with a body shot, then followed up with two to the head after he flopped over in the flower bed. Wife went to check on him and his mouth was still moving so I followed up with multiples to the head after that.

We have coyote and bobcat sightings all over the neighborhood, but based on my coon and opossum experience I won't be shooting at either of those with the .22, subsonic or otherwise. But I do think I'm going to go back to supersonic .22 ammo for the smaller critters.

My plan for the coons (gate cam shows two messing with the trash now) is to trap and drown or dispatch with the .22 to the head. Back in the day lots of folks I knew would just dunk the trapped coon in a garbage can full of water or a creek and wait for it to drown. I'll more likely opt for the .22 to the head.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    There are coyotes in this area. Some nights, they're howling in the back yard. Sometimes they reply to the sound of sirens.

Judging by the sounds I heard off in the distance ten minutes ago, somebody's pet dog isn't coming home this evening.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

.223/5.56 varmint bullets are specifically designed to blow up on things like prairie dogs. Ricochet potential is minimal. Much less than a .22lr or the average pistol bullet.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There are coyotes in this area. Some nights, they're howling in the back yard. Sometimes they reply to the sound of sirens.

Judging by the sounds I heard off in the distance ten minutes ago, somebody's pet dog isn't coming home this evening.
    I have a very soft spot for rat terriers.

I'd have to go full jihad and kill every coyote in that county.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Name:  EABF7943-F295-4583-B5DE-1CADCAA4B136.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  33.6 KB

I use an 18" Ar15 with a 4x12 scope and red spotlight, they're all around us and after losing 2 cats last year I decided it was enough. Have taken 6 out with this rifle over the past 4 months, it's mating season now so they're all kinds of crazy acting!

User Tag List