Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Coyote gun

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not to get morally superior, but I tend to think even varmints deserve a bang-flop if at all possible.
    I agree, and I do not advocate intentional gut shots, but bang-flops are rare with anything. A solid heart/lung shot with a 22 LR will kill a coyote, but like a deer or elk that takes a similar hit with a 30-06, it may cover some ground before it drops.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not to get morally superior, but I tend to think even varmints deserve a bang-flop if at all possible.
    Exactly. The coyote/hog/whatever doesn’t know it’s a “pest”, it’s just trying to do its thing. TBH I’m not all that big a fan of coyote hunting in general.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Exactly. The coyote/hog/whatever doesn’t know it’s a “pest”, it’s just trying to do its thing. TBH I’m not all that big a fan of coyote hunting in general.
    Their population numbers have to be kept in check just like every other game animal, including the wolves that so many people seem to worship as this beacon of spiritual enlightenment.

The problem is that they're so damned adaptable. Every once in a while you'll see a news item about how they start by eating pet food on people's porches in the more distant suburbs and graduate to eating the pets themselves in front of kids, wives, or other non-combatants. The stories nearly always feature a weepy older woman with a picture of a Cocker spaniel in one hand and a blood-soaked dog collar in the other. Chickens are a classic target but goats, lambs, calves, and foals are also at risk once they eat all of the small stuff.

I've seen them in urban parts in Seattle and Tacoma. They use our green belts to move between neighborhoods and trigger sudden influxes of Missing Cat posters. We haven't had an attack on humans--yet--but I remember reading that they've gone after toddlers in other places.

I like seeing them in the wild but you have to draw the line someplace. If the neighbors are inclined to object and close enough to keep you from following the "shoot, shovel, shut up" protocol, then you need countermeasures that allow for plausible deniability.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The problem is that they're so damned adaptable. Every once in a while you'll see a news item about how they start by eating pet food on people's porches in the more distant suburbs and graduate to eating the pets themselves in front of kids, wives, or other non-combatants. The stories nearly always feature a weepy older woman with a picture of a Cocker spaniel in one hand and a blood-soaked dog collar in the other. Chickens are a classic target but goats, lambs, calves, and foals are also at risk once they eat all of the small stuff.

I've seen them in urban parts in Seattle and Tacoma. They use our green belts to move between neighborhoods and trigger sudden influxes of Missing Cat posters. We haven't had an attack on humans--yet--but I remember reading that they've gone after toddlers in other places.

I like seeing them in the wild but you have to draw the line someplace. If the neighbors are inclined to object and close enough to keep you from following the "shoot, shovel, shut up" protocol, then you need countermeasures that allow for plausible deniability.

Okie John
    My wife's cousin goes to the UW. She's seen coyotes on campus on more than one occasion. Her classmates thought it was a stray dog.

I live in the county, and have my big game hunting license. If the neighbors find out I'm popping yotes everytime they're on my property, there is literally nothing they can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    My wife's cousin goes to the UW. She's seen coyotes on campus on more than one occasion. Her classmates thought it was a stray dog.

I live in the county, and have my big game hunting license. If the neighbors find out I'm popping yotes everytime they're on my property, there is literally nothing they can do about it.
    Ms. Okie and I were in the north end of Tacoma a few nights ago. Think older, elegant, and expensive houses with well-groomed yards and pretty significant green belts. We're driving down a residential street in the fog and we see a mature blacktail buck walking down one of the parking strips. It was hard to see his antlers, but I'm guessing 3-4 points on a side which makes him a whopper around here. He probably beds in a green belt and lives on flower petals and fruit. We followed him for a couple of blocks before he got antsy and went into someone's back yard.

And no, I had not been drinking.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    The coyote/hog/whatever doesn’t know it’s a “pest”, it’s just trying to do its thing.
    The same could be said about most violent criminal actors.
    Last edited by Wendell; 12-20-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    The same could be said about most violent criminal actors.
    Complete non sequitur

Site Supporter
    Coyotes in town are a problem, period. They find out how easy it is to kill cats and dogs and go to town on them. And here in the DFW area (Frisco), we had a coyote that was attacking walkers/joggers on a greenbelt trail. There was a cryptic article this week that the coyote in question was "now dead". I'm guessing that somebody, legally or otherwise, punched his ticket.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List