Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote gun

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Since your friend doesn’t own a firearm, I vote for something like a Mossberg 590A1 with the ghost ring sight setup. Might be overkill for the ‘yote, but I think you were on to something with your OP. Just saying.
    I concur with this, or even the single-shot break-action shotgun suggested a little earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    He has a coyote bothering his chickens. He is trapping for it but wants a firearm, which he doesn’t otherwise have, to dispatch a trapped animal or to take a shot from the deck if one comes in to the coop (that would be a good downward angle). Ranges will never exceed 30m.
    If it's truly just one coyote, why not either stop by his house and take care of it for him or lend him an appropriate shotgun or .22 to accomplish the task?

.17HMR with a can.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    .17HMR with a can.
    Notwithstanding the Chicken owner is not currently a gun owner and thus may, or more likey does not, know how to shoot, how many chickens will he have left after waiting 7months for a can ?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    If it's truly just one coyote, why not either stop by his house and take care of it for him or lend him an appropriate shotgun or .22 to accomplish the task?
    Because it’s Wiley. It won’t respond to my outlook meeting request.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    .17HMR with a can.
    He’s currently holding his dads .17HMR. He really doesn’t have to worry about the can.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    12 gauge with #4 buck or Hevi-shot. It won’t be a mess unless he blows it apart at close range. The fur will soak up the mess.
    I guess he could stand back from the trapped yote, should he be so lucky.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    You don't need DRT kills. Yotes can die anywhere they want. 22 LR is ideal for that, plus it's a lot quieter than a shotgun.

10/22 FTW.

Okie John
    I was thinking just this and may have seen this done before. Shoot the coyote through the slats with ONE shot and go back inside and let him do his run off and die thing.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not to get morally superior, but I tend to think even varmints deserve a bang-flop if at all possible.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    He’s currently holding his dads .17HMR. He really doesn’t have to worry about the can.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not to get morally superior, but I tend to think even varmints deserve a bang-flop if at all possible.
    Then the .17HMR is not the right choice. I shot a raccoon with .17HMR and it ran off a very short way and screamed bloody murder. If it had been where neighbors could have heard it the police would have been involved. Presumably coyotes are more stoic, but I'm not a fan of .17HMR for low light work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List