Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote gun

Coyote gun

I was asked by a colleague today for a recommendation. He lives on a couple of acres, outside the city but within the county; his land is surrounded on all sides by housing, though a good stretch is forested. He has a coyote bothering his chickens. He is trapping for it but wants a firearm, which he doesn’t otherwise have, to dispatch a trapped animal or to take a shot from the deck if one comes in to the coop (that would be a good downward angle). Ranges will never exceed 30m.

I at first suggested a shotgun, partially because they’re good for all sorts of things. He was afraid of the mess, which actually seems valid. I then said a 10/22, but he’d need to pass on anything but a head shot. I worry about skipping with a .223.

How wrong was I?

You were right the first time. .410 with buck?

Recce carbine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

223 frangible might be an option. i guess it all depends on what distance hes expecting to shoot from.

Not wrong at all, IMO. If neighbors are close enough to be part of the discussion, I wouldn't even consider a centerfire rifle. Even the 22lr would give me pause. 12ga with #4 buck seems like it would do what he needs with less risk to neighbors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Not wrong at all, IMO. If neighbors are close enough to be part of the discussion, I wouldn't even consider a centerfire rifle. Even the 22lr would give me pause. 12ga with #4 buck seems like it would do what he needs with less risk to neighbors.
    This ^^^

fed tac flight control #1 buck will certainly terminate a yote inside 50 yards

12 gauge with #4 buck or Hevi-shot. It won’t be a mess unless he blows it apart at close range. The fur will soak up the mess.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    fed tac flight control #1 buck will certainly terminate a yote inside 50 yards
    Very true...

All he needs to do is find a source for Fed #1 FC

And the buy it before I know it’s available again

I agree about the shotgun, but might a 17HMR be a consideration? Seems like the 17g bullet would be pretty frangible. Ruger American would be a cheap date.

User Tag List