Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Moving from Single Stack Subcompact to Double Stack Subcompacts?

Caracal has been showing off a rather small <1in wide 13 +1 subcompact since 2014 in the form of the CP662. Maybe they will finally show it off at shot. Still likely means it would be a long way away plus a recall.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would put this entire discussion on hold until after the coming SHOT shot.
    This works for me. I'm a little surprised at how readily I shelved my G19's and adopted the j-frame lifestyle a few months ago, but I regularly doubt my ability to stay J. I've been thinking about a G26.5 w/+2, even though I've given up on the G26 a couple of times. Another P-F'er has been selling me on his newly acquired P30sk w/13rd mag and I find it tempting as well. Taking GJM's advice on this is an easy button I'm willing to hit.

I know that this is an old thread, but I recently switched back to a Glock 26.3 for all of the same reasons stated here. I've tried all of the single-stacks and recently tried and sold a Glock 43X. I the end the G-26 simply works for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Reading other folks' stories of going from Glocks to not-Glocks and back to Glocks again, along with my recent kick of "streamlining" my guns and supporting equipment has had me rethinking my most common EDC choices. Since I live in central Texas, I often find myself carrying a single-stack subcompact under a t-shirt with no undershirt - specifically, the M&P Shield. There's nothing inherently wrong with my Shield, and with the modifications I've made to it (Apex DCAEK, Hogue slip-on grip, Hyve extensions, Dawson/10-8 fiber optic sights), I can shoot it decently well. Most people who have tried it and compared it to the Glock 43 have found it to be a better-shooting gun for them too.

That said, my attention has increasingly begun to drift to the Glock 26 Gen 5. I occasionally get some hands-on time with a friend's modified Glock 26 Gen 3, and I've often found it shoots just as well - if not better - for me than Glock 19s and Glock 17s at distances of 10-15 yards. The modifications done are fairly modest, consisting of Wilson Combat night sights, a stipple job that removed most of the finger grooves, and a Ghost minus connector. While my Shield shoots fairly well for such a small, slim, gun, the G26 tends to shoot a bit better. Combine that with parts compatibility with my G19.5 and all of my Glock magazines, and the G26 is an ever-more-appealing option (as is the P30SK/VP9SK, but Glock is definitely the front-runner here).

Has anyone gone from a slim 9mm like the Shield or G43 to a subcompact like the G26/M&P9C/VP9SK? I know Tamara has had nothing but good things to say about the G26.5's performance, but I'm wondering whether or not I'd regret selling my Shield and carrying something with a bit more added bulk every day in exchange for magazine and parts commonality with another gun I already have.
    I'm curious if the introduction of the Glock 43X/48 has changed your assessment

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm curious if the introduction of the Glock 43X/48 has changed your assessment
    I sold my Shield and am currently carrying a 48. I don't shoot it as well as the 26, but I'm willing to trade a little bit of accuracy at distance (which I can work on) and parts compatibility for a slimmer overall profile and a grip length that helps me shoot it better than the Shield as well.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Has anyone gone from a slim 9mm like the Shield or G43 to a subcompact like the G26/M&P9C/VP9SK? I know Tamara has had nothing but good things to say about the G26.5's performance, but I'm wondering whether or not I'd regret selling my Shield and carrying something with a bit more added bulk every day in exchange for magazine and parts commonality with another gun I already have.
    I have found I really don’t care for single stack guns. I was using a G43 solely for running, but have found a solution that allows me to carry a 26 or 19 even and can’t remember the last time I carried the G43.

Tried to make the G48 work for me, but in my hands the 26 shot much better.

Your reasoning is sound to give up the shield for the G26.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I have found I really don’t care for single stack guns. I was using a G43 solely for running, but have found a solution that allows me to carry a 26 or 19 even and can’t remember the last time I carried the G43.

Tried to make the G48 work for me, but in my hands the 26 shot much better.

Your reasoning is sound to give up the shield for the G26.
    Mind sharing what you use to carry a 26/19 when running?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I use a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt directly on my skin with a Raven Perun OWB G19 holster. It works exceptionally well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Doc_Glock runs a lot more than I do these days, but I also run with a G26 (or G42). In my case, I use a Smartcarry.

Thanks for the info, I will look into both those options for when I start doing some running.

User Tag List