Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Malfunction?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Unfortunately that mistake is generally part of the TTP of immediate action (tap, rack, bang, or whatever), prior to going to the remedial action.

Yep I was thinking in terms of being able to observe through the ejection port first to determine the problem. That doesn't work as well outside of square range daytime shooting which is all my frame of reference is from.

Pannone's video that Dan M posted and your post made that click for me that the fix needs to be applicable after having fired enough rounds that you don't want to touch the bolt with your finger or in the dark.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Unfortunately that mistake is generally part of the TTP of immediate action (tap, rack, bang, or whatever), prior to going to the remedial action.
    That’s exactly what I did as well, before realizing the nature of the malfunction. I automatically did a tap rack, and when that didn’t work, automatically tried locking the bolt to the rear, like you would to clear a double feed. Then, I guess a part of my brain thought that the case was somehow stuck in the chamber, and so with virtually no conscious thinking, I went straight to mortaring, which of course alone did not work, either.

That’s when I actually looked into the ejection port, realized something relatively unusual had happened, and snapped the photo in the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@TGS, no argument mortaring works. You're right about not having to go ape shit either but there are other considerations mentioned to include, zero's on optics and damaging buffer tubes. If I have the option to not mortar the gun then I won't, having deployed more than a few times and carrying only one weapon and not having another readily available I'd opt for any option that would not cause my weapon to possibly be inoperable or risk fucking my zero because shit happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I separated the pad of my trigger finger sticking it in the breach of an auto shotgun. It was a fucking bloodbath. Fortunately, I still have some feeling in my trigger finger.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND STICKING YOUR FINGER IN THE BREACH OF A GUN.
    This is would not have been an issue in any unit I've ever been in as gloves were mandatory just as eye pro was. Nomex flight gloves, (which were the issued glove) have a leather skin on the palm and finger area so there is enough protection for the second or two it takes to clear the malfunction. Besides when the chips are down and you need to fix you weapon you won't GAF. I'm not saying there won't be consequences or it won't hurt like an SOB but getting your weapon into action will be your only priority. If you're Joe Schmo on the range then that's another story by all means beat your gear to death if you want but there is nothing wrong with having more techniques at your disposal and being competent with them.
    Last edited by Mike C; 12-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Here is the way I learned from Direct Action Resource Center that I like because it is simple and works. Mortaring is
    generally for a failure to extract due to a stuck case and if you do don’t forget to close the butt stock. Also check your muzzle after this to make sure there is no obstruction.

AT
    Last edited by karmapolice; 12-07-2018 at 10:01 PM.

@karmapolice I dig it, thanks for the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I separated the pad of my trigger finger sticking it in the breach of an auto shotgun. It was a fucking bloodbath. Fortunately, I still have some feeling in my trigger finger.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND STICKING YOUR FINGER IN THE BREACH OF A GUN.
    For some reason the "incident" forms that our occupational health and safety officer has to file after any workplace injury are not well set up to deal with situations like: fingertip partially removed by AK47 bolt when student released the charging handle while I was clearing the line with a physical and visual check."

I would give an enormous amount of money to see how that was received at the headquarters safety element of our overwhelmingly non-firearms focused organization.

Holy crow....

Pull back on the charging handle REALLY hard, then press on the catch part of the bolt catch REALLY hard to keep everything where you wedged it, then give the back of the CH a sharp judo-chop.

The hard pull tightens everything up, the bolt catch holds it all in place, and since the CH has room to move forward (independently of the bolt), hitting it subsequently hits the stuck round from behind, launching it forward and out the mag well, or at least unwedges it so you can clear it via common method of cycling the action.

If you don't push REALLY hard on the bolt catch before judo-chopping the CH, the bolt might shift enough to queer it all up, again, so really PUSH on the catch before knocking the CH forward.

You're doing effectively the SAME thing shown in Clusterfrack's cited video, but without the need to reach for anything you aren't already holding, and no putting anything in the ejection port, digits or otherwise.

Mortaring Type Ate malfunction...good grief, has TRYING to break the front end of your CH has suddenly become a desirable outcome...? I dunno, you crazy kids with your pants and your rock-n-roll.....

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Holy crow....

Pull back on the charging handle REALLY hard, then press on the catch part of the bolt catch REALLY hard to keep everything where you wedged it, then give the back of the CH a sharp judo-chop.
    Amazing how soooo many overthink this. This is the best method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JMS you are more likely to booger something up mortaring than breaking your charging handle, (agreed). The CH is supported L/R, top and bottom between the upper receiver, gas key and BCG. I doubt you're just going to snap the front half of your CH that captures the BCG making it INOP. Lastly I looked back at the at everything that was posted and didn't find a video Clusterfrack posted. Are you referencing Karmapolice's video? If you are that method is definitely excellent. The only drawback I can see is that if you aren't using a USGI magazine with a sharp enough corner to retain the BCG it might be a little more work. I primarily use Pmags and the base pads aren't great for catching the shoulder of the BCG as shown by Karma's video. I've set this up and tried several times on a timer over the period of 1/2 hour. I think both methods have merit. I don't personally see myself changing as I have lots of reps with Pannones' method and I know it will work for me despite risks. Even thought I find the other method referenced quite excellent, has merit; it is magazine dependent on having ones that facilitate capturing the BGC shoulder easily.

In my 30 minutes of evaluating this the Lancers worked alright for this, the USGI were best, but the Pmags were the most difficult to ensure capturing of the shoulder on the BCG. If you're running gloves there is no issue with either method, OTOH if your bare handed Karma's technique would definitely be best so long and you aren't fiddlefucking with it because your mags don't have a pronounced enough corner to facilitate capturing of the BCG. All in all more tools in the tool box, I hate to say that crap but it is always good to have primary, alternate and tertiary methods for problems solving with minimal though processes. I wouldn't fret damaging the BCG using Pannones' method as much as I would be picking up zero or making the gun INOP with mortaring.

User Tag List