Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Malfunction?

Site Supporter

AR Malfunction?

I just experienced a strange malfunction while shooting an AR and was wondering if anyone had any idea how something like this happens:

The round is pretty well stuck between the bottom of the charging handle and the top of the bolt carrier group.

Any tips on how to clear this before I risk breaking something doing it the wrong way would also be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJHyLPh...=1h7by7vzafkuv

Mike Pannone also has some good videos on YT that cover clearing AR malfunctions. Hopefully this helps, it happened to me a couple of times

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I just experienced a strange malfunction while shooting an AR and was wondering if anyone had any idea how something like this happens:

The round is pretty well stuck between the bottom of the charging handle and the top of the bolt carrier group.

Any tips on how to clear this before I risk breaking something doing it the wrong way would also be appreciated.

Wow, that's like the opposite of bolt override = bolt underride. Did this happen while firing or while dicking around doing something else? If while firing, the only thing I can figure is worn/broken magazine feed lip. As the bolt came forward to pick up the next round, the round moved forward and popped free of the worn/bent/broken lips and the bolt caught it above itself.

As far as how to clear it, pop the takedown pins and see if you can slide the upper up and forward and/or reach into the ejection port with something stout like a ratchet handle and press rearward on the bolt. Maybe even tap it with a hammer just to free up the bind.
    Last edited by ASH556; 12-06-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post

Mike Pannone also has some good videos on YT that cover clearing AR malfunctions. Hopefully this helps, it happened to me a couple of times
    This is the video you're thinking of, one of the best explanations of bold override clearance I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlqHYW17zok

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Wow, that's like the opposite of bolt override = bolt underride. Did this happen while firing or while dicking around doing something else? If while firing, the only thing I can figure is worn/broken magazine feed lip. As the bolt came forward to pick up the next round, the round moved forward and popped free of the worn/bent/broken lips and the bolt caught it above itself.

As far as how to clear it, pop the takedown pins and see if you can slide the upper up and forward and/or reach into the ejection port with something stout like a ratchet handle and press rearward on the bolt. Maybe even tap it with a hammer just to free up the bind.
    That's exactly what bolt override is, at least as I've been taught it.

No need to take the gun apart and use tools. Remove the mag and lightly mortar the gun while holding pressure on the charging handle (or whatever preferred method is to create space between the bolt/cartridge/CH, then slap the charging handle forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post

If "Jon Mocha Bear" thinks mortaring the gun is "stupid" and "you're going to break your fucking stock", then I question how much quality time he's actually spent on the gun or if he just likes to hear himself sound cool.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Man, you guys may be totally right. I always thought this was bolt override:

Name:  45ACAEC4-323C-431E-BDC2-D06071361064.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  48.1 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

No Sir that is a failure to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post

As TGS stated, the fix is to mortar the rifle. The way I do it is to collapse the stock, watch the muzzle direction, and bring the stock down on your thigh or the ground while you pull on the charging handle. Don't land on the toe of the stock or forget to collapse it or you will possibly bend the buffer tube and cause the bolt to seize in the tube with every shot. Of course, if you don't immediately need the rifle you could probably find a gentler way to clear it, but that's the way I was taught. It has never failed to work.

I can't seem to fix that one without cutting my hand somewhere on the charging handle, but I've never figured out where...

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the advice, which made me dimly realize that at some point in the distant past I was shown how to deal with bolt override, but it happens so rarely, I had simply forgotten about it.

A little vigorous mortaring and slapping the charging handle forward, rinse and repeat, and eventually the round indeed shook loose.

I do still wonder how it happened, though. I’ve seen metal mags spew rounds like a brass fountain when the lips go (and I know some mags, like Colt 9mm SMG mags, are a bit sensitive to this phenomenon), but I was using a Pmag when this happened while shooting (versus slapping in a reload), and it appears to be fine.

Or at least the lips don’t have any visible cracks, and I had thought that as long as the lips aren’t cracked on a Pmag, it should still be good to go.

No need to mortar if it's not urgent. Even when done correctly, mortaring has the potential to break things (like stocks, RE's, and charging handles). Take a multi-tool, or screwdriver, or anything other than your knife, put it in front of the bolt face and push the bolt back. Round should fall right out.

User Tag List