Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Kept forgetting to update this. I hit 185 and have more or less stalled out but I’m ok with that given the original goal was 195 and I’ve dropped 30 pounds in total in a little less than 6 months.

Off crutches now and starting PT. Snagged a gym membership to take the place of bjj classes. Going to start lifting in the next couple weeks once I get a bit more mobility back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100 unbroken tire flips (280lbs) for time [ timed run shown]

Cardios, strength and explosiveness in one exercise typically my time drops by a couple of seconds each week

Name:  390D9CE3-247C-431C-8C4C-BDC5ECD702B8.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  38.9 KB
    Last edited by Duke; 06-28-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    100 unbroken tire flips (280lbs) for time.

Cardios, strength and explosiveness in one exercise typically my time drops by a couple of seconds each week

Name:  390D9CE3-247C-431C-8C4C-BDC5ECD702B8.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  38.9 KB
    Beast mode. You also look super pissed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Beast mode. You also look super pissed.

Happiness eludes me most days my friend.... that can be a good thing at times.

Finally getting my skinny sticks up to par with compound work like this.

Name:  8CC2B431-355B-407E-B9DF-211D0665DC61.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  101.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Happiness eludes me most days my friend.... that can be a good thing at times.

Finally getting my skinny sticks up to par with compound work like this.

Name:  8CC2B431-355B-407E-B9DF-211D0665DC61.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  101.2 KB
    Props for not skipping leg day! Damn, you guys are good motivation to get my ass moving. Now if only my kid would stop bringing home every disease possible from day care...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    This morning I weighed 190.0 pounds (5'8" tall). I don't weigh regularly, but I haven't changed pant sizes in over a decade. The good news is that at 43 years old I only weigh about 10 pounds more than when I graduated from high school (unfit). The bad news is that I weigh about 45 pounds more than when I graduated from college (fit). I guess I'll pick 170 as a goal weight.
    I didn't start actually doing anything to improve my fitness until April at which time my weight was unchanged from January. I weighed 182.8 this afternoon and have moved in two holes on my belt. Hiding a G19 is easier than at any time since I've started carrying. I'd forgotten that I declared a goal weight, so checking this thread was a good reminder.

Site Supporter
    Ok, a little late check in but it is what it is.

So some steps backwards and some forward.

End of May Weight - 146.4 with 17.5% body fat
    End of June Weight - 146.8 with 19% body fat

I am down 10 pounds for the year and was under 145 during a period in May. The goal of 142 might not be reasonable or will need some bunch more lifestyle changes to get there.

Fitness is improving and I pulled through at least 50 push ups a day through June and working on 100 a day for July. I took yesterday off for the push-ups due to being worked over from a few hours of chainsaw work on Wednesday but feeling a lot better this morning and will keep hitting it. Working on rucks mixing 75 lbs carry and 45 lb carry, each lap around a track. I hit 6 laps of 80lbs on Monday and ending up doing a little damage which took a few days to recovery from. I think the path moving forward is to reduce weight and add time goals - basically I need to add structure to what I am doing.

With the body fat change I am unsure if that is the FitBit scale being wrong or probably me fucking eat all of my kid's cereal like twice a day. Panda Puffs are like crack. I am down to the cereal once a day but is it an easy snack that feeds the monkey brain and makes me happy. It is also just corn and cane sugar which is compliant with my crazy IBS - FODMAP diet so it is easy. Also I have upped my exercise and strength work and the day after I am just fucking hungry and make the excuse to eat for recovery which could be the right call.

Path moving forward:

I work all month but only got 6.5 hours of sleep a night, I need to push that to 7 hours. Typically I am going to bed later to fit in my mobility work and my push-ups.

Tighten up the diet, reduce/eliminate the afternoon snack, eat slower.

Figure a structured training plan and execute it, not just random work - I got the Go Ruck Light training plan printed out and I am thinking that is the path - Maybe with the more weight to match the demands when I am on a wildland fire.

OK, gentleman, keep up the work and don't eat like an asshole.

Down another 2 lbs from skipping meals. I don't feel like i have less energy I just eat less shit. Total down 17 so far.

Down 49 since mid Feburary.
    Staring weight was 253. 204 this morning.

*Bottom pic*
    240ish June 2018
    205 June 2019

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by _JD_; 07-05-2019 at 06:23 PM.

I figure I'll join in. I'm new around here, so I didn't see this thread until today. I find that treating my lifestyle change as a hobby and talking enthusiastically about it helps me stay on task. I got fat because I simply eating too much. Unlike many here, I have no LEO or military background, so PT isn't a thing for me. I work physically every day, though.

In January I realized I needed to get in and get my blood work done because I turned 50. I also needed to get a physical for re-upping my life insurance. I hopped on the scale (first time in a year) and discovered I'd bloomed to 290# (I'm only 5'10").. this was the heaviest I'd ever been by 10#. I spent a couple weeks researching weight loss methods, consulted with a nutritionist I know through social circles, and sat down with my wife to formulate a total lifestyle change. My wife has been dealing with pre-diabetes for over two decades, so we've been eating fairly low carb in that time (100g or less per day). While that doesn't seem very low carb, it is less than half of recommended carbs. It simply doesn't work if you're eating 20-30% more calories a day than you need, even without the carbs. I did the calculations one day and realized that for me to have gone from 180 to 290 in my adult life I barely ate 50 extra calories a day on average. It's crazy how small of extra food can drive weight gain if it happens every day.

We did the math and decided on goals. I wanted to lose a kilo a week, the wife wanted to lose half that. The math worked out that both of us needed to reduce to 1400-1500 calories a day and try to keep the carbs below 50. We love to cook, so we developed about a dozen lunch and a dozen dinner choices that would work for us. We both stopped eating breakfast, and limited our food intake times to noon to 8pm. (I refuse to call it fasting, we just skip breakfast). I've found zero ill effects to skipping breakfast, but I do drink a couple cups of coffee. I have no reason to do a keto diet and realized that it wasn't going to work for me in the long term. I can handle the calorie reduction and less than 100g gross carbs a day, but we are usually at 50 or less.

We started our journey on Feb 1. What happened for me was amazing. I dropped an average of 5# a week for the first two months, then slowed to my goal of 2 to 3 pounds a week. At the end of May I stopped losing weight, but at the encouragement of my nutritionist friend and others I knew that had lost a lot of weight, I just stayed the course through June losing absolutely zero. All of the sudden in the last week I dropped 7lbs. I have no clue why, but I just keeping moving on.

At this point, I have dropped 55# and the wife has dropped 25#. Maybe one day we'll figure out a formalized exercise program, but right now the physical labor of maintaining two rural houses, remodeling one of them, and a combined 57 acres of land to manage keeps us pretty physically active.

User Tag List