Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Jan 1: 228
    Jan 31: 220
    Apr 22: 213

Spent 10 days working at a hotel in another state. Some of the room service stuff worked. Walked to the local grocery store and picked up Keto "special needs" food, which probably made the difference. Got a couple 5-mi runs in, and a couple visits to the hotel gym. Came back one pound down!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Do I need to be eating more, keeping on like I am, or distrusting what the new watch says?
    Keep doing what you're doing.

You're trending in the right direction, why mess with something that works? Actual results trump theory every time. You seem to have a good grasp of a trend vs daily fluctuation, and not getting derailed by that, you're succeeding at a concept that eludes so many people, so don't let something like a fitness tracker derail you.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And we're down to 210.7! Whoo hoo!
    Went down to 208.5 last week, and back up to 210 post Easter feasting (lots of jello & french silk pie), plus free fresh doughnuts at a staff meeting Wednesday.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I dropped from 235 a couple years ago down to 205 and then stalled out. Have gained a bit back since kid #2 arrived.

Current weight: 215
    Goal weight: 195

I don’t think I’ve been below 200 # since high school so seems like a good arbitrary weight goal to shoot for. The charts at my doctors office always say I should be closer to 175-180 at my height of 6’2”, but I think I’d be skin and bones at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pushed hard on cutting calories over the past couple weeks and just weighed in at 195.8. Going to revise the goal and push for 190.

Is anyone interested in my experiences with the Fitbit Charge 3? If not, I'll stop posting about it. Actually I'm thinking after this post I will quit talking about it.

Took last week off due to rolling my ankle. Some pretty impressive bruising, and I'm actually quite surprised I didn't break it. Back to working out today though.

This time instead of leaving the Charge 3 on the "home screen" I used the "weights" function. There's about a 60 second delay but the heart rate function was much more accurate. Pulse was 164 BPM (15 seconds x 4) after KB swings whereas watch said 158 BPM. Not perfect but close.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Is anyone interested in my experiences with the Fitbit Charge 3? If not, I'll stop posting about it. Actually I'm thinking after this post I will quit talking about it.

Took last week off due to rolling my ankle. Some pretty impressive bruising, and I'm actually quite surprised I didn't break it. Back to working out today though.

This time instead of leaving the Charge 3 on the "home screen" I used the "weights" function. There's about a 60 second delay but the heart rate function was much more accurate. Pulse was 164 BPM (15 seconds x 4) after KB swings whereas watch said 158 BPM. Not perfect but close.
    I’m just me, but sure, I’ve got no problems with it.

In fact every time I see this thread get topped, it’s a reminder I need to stop eating like an asshole and get back on the scale.

I’m a bit skeered to do so but I’m going to have to face the music soon, after a month or more of fast food and skipping workouts due to packing and selling the condo and moving into our new house.

So, my thought is: carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’m just me, but sure, I’ve got no problems with it.

In fact every time I see this thread get topped, it’s a reminder I need to stop eating like an asshole and get back on the scale.

I’m a bit skeered to do so but I’m going to have to face the music soon, after a month or more of fast food and skipping workouts due to packing and selling the condo and moving into our new house.

So, my thought is: carry on.
    Thanks. It's funny, weight loss/calorie restriction is the best thing you can do: you look better, move better, feel better (in function and confidence), and you save money (not a lot, but it's there) but it's the one of the hardest thing to start doing. When you really want it, you'll do it.

Find the reason, you'll find the motivation.

Thanks. It's funny, weight loss/calorie restriction is the best thing you can do: you look better, move better, feel better (in function and confidence), and you save money (not a lot, but it's there) but it's the one of the hardest thing to start doing. When you really want it, you'll do it.

Find the reason, you'll find the motivation.
    I will confess ‘for me’ a calorie restricted diet does not (oddly) work at all.

Case in point: prior to me falling off the wagon I logged 10 straight weeks of very careful calorie counting, including intermittent fasting meal skipping etc. My average calorie count daily was iirc easily under 1,500. I starts at 194.

After these weeks I ended up at..194. Which was depressing and very likely partly why I said “fuck it” when the move started.

I know, I know, it seems hard to contemplate conventional wisdom of ‘eat less, you will lose weight’ but I’ve never really found that to be true. In recent memory I got down to 172 in approximately 2010 when I was recently single and dating. Every day I’d go to the gym in the morning and work out and ate a heavy protein diet without worrying too much about calories. Just virtually no carbs.

*That* is what works for me.

The development we moved into has a Clubhouse and with my schedule changing at work I should be able to get there around 330-400PM at least 2 / 3 times a week. So as soon as the honey dos subside to a manageable number in the next week or so, I’m going to resume both going to the gym and getting off the carbs.

I dropped from 235 a couple years ago down to 205 and then stalled out. Have gained a bit back since kid #2 arrived.

Current weight: 215
    Goal weight: 195

I don’t think I’ve been below 200 # since high school so seems like a good arbitrary weight goal to shoot for. The charts at my doctors office always say I should be closer to 175-180 at my height of 6’2”, but I think I’d be skin and bones at that point.

Pushed hard on cutting calories over the past couple weeks and just weighed in at 195.8. Going to revise the goal and push for 190.

I am also 6'2'' and have seen those charts (I believe that they're for BMI) and don't find going that low (175 - 180) to be a good 'fit' for me either.

At 184 (now), I am skinnier than I was even in high school and I just look gaunt at anything south of 180. Those charts are fine in theory, but I think (yeah, I know that I am not an M.D.) that if your clothes look like they are hanging off of you, you're probably a tad underweight.

After losing a lot of late ''middle-age spread'' last year, I added about 6 - 8 pounds of muscle in my chest and shoulders and going to 180 puts me in a 30'' - 32'' waist which is much much better than the 42'' waist I prior to losing the weight.

I s'pose you could proceed in increments of 5 pounds and stop when you get to where you look and feel best.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I will confess ‘for me’ a calorie restricted diet does not (oddly) work at all.

Case in point: prior to me falling off the wagon I logged 10 straight weeks of very careful calorie counting, including intermittent fasting meal skipping etc. My average calorie count daily was iirc easily under 1,500. I starts at 194.

After these weeks I ended up at..194. Which was depressing and very likely partly why I said “fuck it” when the move started.

I know, I know, it seems hard to contemplate conventional wisdom of ‘eat less, you will lose weight’ but I’ve never really found that to be true. In recent memory I got down to 172 in approximately 2010 when I was recently single and dating. Every day I’d go to the gym in the morning and work out and ate a heavy protein diet without worrying too much about calories. Just virtually no carbs.

*That* is what works for me.

The development we moved into has a Clubhouse and with my schedule changing at work I should be able to get there around 330-400PM at least 2 / 3 times a week. So as soon as the honey dos subside to a manageable number in the next week or so, I’m going to resume both going to the gym and getting off the carbs.
    Holy shit. Honestly I've been eating 3000 calories/day on a keto style diet. I'm not suffering at all, and I'm making progress at a decent rate. I'll be the first to say though: a ketogenic style diet is not for everyone. However, it works for me.

I'm no nutritionist or anything like that, but I think there's a lot of merit to eating at maintenance (for a sedentary lifestyle), doing a workout of some sort (even if you just walk for an hour) and upping your protein intake. I recently learned through Martin Berkhan's Leangains book of a thing called "TEF" or Thermic Effect of Food. Apparently protein has the highest TEF meaning protein makes the digestive system work harder/burn more calories and provides more satiety. Plus it's hard to overeat when you have to chew 1.5 pounds of red meat over the course of an hour or two (assuming one is an intermittent fast-er).
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-29-2019 at 07:44 PM.

User Tag List