Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    In my experience (logging every gram of food I've consumed for the past 9 months) calorie counting is an inexact process at best. Given the foods that I've typically eaten and the activity levels I've maintained, I've determined that the process is, at best, only accurate to within 20%. It's for this reason that I encourage people (mostly men, it's more complicated with women) to target a much larger average daily deficit -- at least 1000 kcal per day on average. This large of a deficit will be sufficient to overcome the inherent inaccuracy and maintain a steady weight loss.

Now, larger deficits, are "harder" to achieve. This is where fasting comes in. If you don't eat at all a couple days a week, it's much easy to hit your targeted daily average deficit.

Also, for me, sodium intake plays a role as well as I've seen apparent fluctuations and plateaus as a result of increased sodium intake and, what I assume is, an attendant increase in retained water.

In any case, every time my weight loss stopped, I would fast a day or two and, like magic, the weight would start dropping again.

YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ, etc.
    Tom that's definitely helpful and I agree regarding the "accuracy" of food logging. Once I noticed my weight loss stalling out, I've actually been more aggressive about eating even further under the 1900 calorie limit to account for variations or inaccuracy in the caloric data. For example, today, at least as per what I've logged, I'll come in at just over 1,400 calories, so 500 calories under my daily limit. Are you referring to 1,000 kcal off the sedentary metabolic rate?

Either way, sounds like I may need to throw some fasting sessions in the mix to jump start this process again.

The lack of linear results make sense if you remember that your metabolism is dynamic. It’s a bit like asking, “If I always drive 72 mph on the freeway, why don’t I always maintain the same distance from whoever is in front of me?”

You may need to increase the caloric deficit or you might need to do the opposite, and eat at a surplus for a day or two to kick your metabolism into gear. Some people believe that cheat meals aren’t just a psychological respite but actually a helpful physical tool to keep your body out of “starvation” mode where it clings to every calorie you eat like it might be your last.

Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post

My goal is to check in at roughly 17% BF on my birthday, 7/1. Current weight is 177 - goal weight is 160ish. I’m trying to be patient - I’m not naturally patient. The goal weight will happen when it happens but hopefully by the end of the summer.
    172.2 this morning. Picked up a heart rate monitor, which will hopefully allow me to work smarter, for better results. Doing DDPY nearly every day and will start hitting the gym again next week after a few weeks with no weights.

Food-wise, things are getting interesting. Most days I do a strict ~500 cal deficit. But 2 or 3 days out of the week,, I’m very noticeably hungry. On those days, I simply eat more. Still clean, but more. After having plateaued for nearly two whole weeks, the weight started dropping again. I also upped the leafy greens and backed even further off the gluten and dairy.

207 today down from 228 Jan 1. Stalled out for a bit recently, then went to Hawaii for 10 days. Still ate Keto there. Came back and weight loss resumed. Haven't been working out much for 3 weeks due to a MCL sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    207 today down from 228 Jan 1. Stalled out for a bit recently, then went to Hawaii for 10 days. Still ate Keto there. Came back and weight loss resumed. Haven't been working out much for 3 weeks due to a MCL sprain.
    That's discipline right there. Great job
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Just found this thread.

I am 50, 5’10” tall, and weighed 290# on Feb 1st. I slowly gained weight throughout the last 25 years. I have a physically active job, hunted, fished and rode snowmobiles as activities for those years. I got around incredibly well for a guy of my size and have good joint health.

I finally decided that enough was enough. We (wife) ate healthy but simply ate too much. We cooked all our meals and strived for a balanced diet. It is still possible to eat healthy and still eat too much.

On Feb 1 we calculated the amount of calories we needed to eat to cut out 7000 calories a week for me and 3500 calories for her. Since my wife is pre-diabetic we were already eating less than 100 carbs a day. We cut that to below 50 and more times than not we are around 30. To facilitate the cutting of calories we stopped eating breakfast which didn’t seem to matter as to my energy level.

I dropped 20 lbs in three weeks, then settled in to about 2lbs a week loss to the point I lost 50 total about two weeks ago. I’ve been kind of stuck for those two weeks, but I’m not going to change anything for another couple weeks. I treat this as a lifestyle change and it took decades to get heavy, it might take years to get back to my goal.

All of this loss has been done with no formal exercise at all, just dietary changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKDoug; 06-17-2019 at 02:04 PM.

^^^^Good on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Back to 205- but I also spent a good part of the week on airplanes, which meant lots of starch & sugar and very little exercise.
    209.5- However, I was on vacation for a week, and cheated far more than I should.

Time to get back on the horse.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    209.5- However, I was on vacation for a week, and cheated far more than I should.

Time to get back on the horse.
    Vacations are a bitch. I’m currently on one now. I figure that if I come home the same weight as I left I have done well. Fathers Day ice cream on a 95F day hit the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    181 today, so I'm back down to where I was two months ago after a... ahem... relapse.
    Still 181. In Guerrero World, any lack of weight loss is due to starting a pretty aggressive exercise routine (puttin' on muscle mass, yo!). In Real World, cause may be different.

User Tag List