Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    That's the hard part for me
    Instead of a cup or bowl of ice cream, I take a tablespoon and scoop out one big spoonful. That's a smaller serving and I still get my ice cream.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Instead of a cup or bowl of ice cream, I take a tablespoon and scoop out one big spoonful. That's a smaller serving and I still get my ice cream.
    Ice cream is my downfall. I’ve taken to replacing it with a couple of tablespoons of low-fat powdered peanut butter reconstituted with water, and adding some frozen blueberries, blackberries, or cherries.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Ice cream is my downfall. I’ve taken to replacing it with a couple of tablespoons of low-fat powdered peanut butter reconstituted with water, and adding some frozen blueberries, blackberries, or cherries.
    I think I like @Bill Nesbitt's suggestion better

Last edited by Guerrero; 10-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.

I am lucky that I do most of the shopping, or I'm with my wife when the shopping is being done. We simply don't buy the things that are bad for us. If I desire ice cream, it's usually when I'm out and about, which is only a few times a month. I might splurge now and then, but I usually get the little kids' cone which satisfies the craving.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. Should still be at 225. Not disappointed too bad, but it looks like the next 30lbs is going to take twice as long as the first 60 lbs.

A minor victory today, I passed the left over cup cakes and apple pie from a company party we had at my house last night, and ate leftover salad for lunch. I delivered said apple pie and cupcakes (plus a pot of chili I made them from the left over brisket)to my weekend crew at work and ran away

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

In the right direction.

Another +5 lbs. Decidedly in the wrong direction.

Let me treat this post like a training journal entry.

Mindset I feel like nothing I do is helping. I know objectively that's wrong, of course.

There is a myriad of reasons why weight won't come off: Lack of sleep (because: reasons). Stress at work (got that). Lack of regular exercise (quitting the gym will do that). Overeating ("hey it's low carb" eating a 12 oz rib eye, or "shucks it's just a handful of Cashews"). Eating the wrong things (so, I can add croissant with egg and sausage to my breakfast order and eat it on the way to the High Bay, no problem, right?).

Toolset I finally called and got my bloodwork scheduled for this Thursday. It should help get a baseline for going into the fall. There is a Anytime Fitness down the street from me; not exactly on the way to work. I found that one of the main problems with the gym I quit in April was the entry / exit process; having to say "hi" to the check in staff every single time was a pita; at AF I've been a member of you, just beep the fob on the door and go in and do your thing.

Being an irascible asshole geezer, I've gotten to where I don't like dealing with people, certainly not early in the morning. So re-joining the gym maybe an option. "Walking" hasn't been an option because until just this month it has been so uncomfortable and humid outside. I tried an exercise mat in the office. but it is not yet a habit. I'm 60 this year, so I would imagine slowing down, generally, might have something to do with it as well.

Skillset Back to the diet, which short term is probably something I can examine. At some point this year I had tried the IF route. "For me" it was a complete failure; I recall logging everything I ate for at least 10 days. Not an ounce was lost. It was pretty disheartening. Clearly I was "doing it wrong" or there was some other factor going on.

@David S. asked in another thread about how much creamer and Stevia I was using. Stevia, probably two or three a day. Plus there was the obligatory 12 oz coffee while walking the floor; with two more. I read some nutrition web sites where they suggest natural sugar (fruits, raw honey) but maybe I can just try not to get the sugar in at all.

So, things to try this week: I'm going to try the "yak coffee" thing (Black, with Butter) to see how it goes. Also I'll try and avoid any diet drinks; and skip the "low cal" fruity juice drinks at work for water.

I'll be going back to eggs and meat for breakfast, when I eat. I am generally pretty unsociable unless I've eaten something in the morning. I will give the IF route another try later, if I can jump start the weight loss this week.

I'll also try and add the Dr. Cruz skinny muffins, at least one a day.

Goal for next Sunday: be below 200.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-06-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Another +5 lbs. Decidedly in the wrong direction.

Let me treat this post like a training journal entry.
    From where I sit on the peak of Mt Stupid, it looks like you've pretty well identified your failure points. Reducing stress (yeah, sure) and getting proper (quantity and quality) sleep will likely help.

- May I suggest completely dropping carbs for a month? Like, under 20 carbs / day? That includes Thursday donuts, all fruit, "healthy" carbs, skinny muffins and low carb substitutes.

- Eat large salads with a variety of greens, not just romaine or iceberg lettuce. Find a couple basic, low carb dressings.

- Eat significant amount of meat and some saturated fat. Increase the quality of both, if you can. Choose organic or grassfed if possible.

- Try replacing some of the coffee with tea. Not all of it, but once you have your caffeine fix and now you're just drinking to drink (whatever that means to you), switch to tea. Find a couple blends you enjoy without sweetener or cream.

- Track your macros and your calories. Keep your carbs super low and eat enough protein and fat to keep your calories right.

- Carbs and other junk have a way of sneaking into pre-made food restaurant food. Be careful. They put HFCS in almost everything these days.

- It sounds like you already eat fairly low carb, but don't be surprised if your become a grumpy SOB in the beginning. Carbs are addicting and my require a miserable few weeks of detox.

- Use IF to simplify life.

- Use that hour of gym time for sleep.

Try it for a month (not forever) and see if it works for you.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Been bouncing between 200-202 for most of the summer/early fall. I dropped the gym membership I wasn’t using since I tore up my shoulder in June, started taking the dance classes more frequently, and this week got back to walking longer distances that had died off after school started. And then got more serious about the diet. 201 on Monday.

198.6 this morning post-5.5mi walk, before first meal at noon. 2 eggs fried in olive oil, with parsley, garlic, and onion, over a bowl of salad with a little shredded Monterey Jack, salsa, and Italian dressing on the veggies.

Another 1.5 miles in the books.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Low body fat %. It’s cool to have

Name:  C2602C1B-F18E-4D30-AA48-95ECE890949E.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Still at 205, but I've been snacking on too many peanuts.
    Looks like my plateau is going to be 205, but that's okay.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List