Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

So this thread motivated me. I usually “bulk” during the winter and hit about 190 with a “heavy” lifting schedule of compound lifts and heavy weight. Became aware quickly that two kids, a new career as a teacher, and sleep issues was taking a toll and I simply wasn’t able to keep like I was in my early twenties. Being honest with myself really helped me reset the way I looked at fitness and what my health goals are. So this past month I changed a lot of habits I had started again during the busy months I have had.

1) cut way down on energy drinks

2) cut out all bad carbs. My main carbs are basically vegetables and fruit now

3) started tracking my protein macro to ensure I was getting the level I needed.

4) aiming for 7-8 hours a night of sleep.

This four things have really changed the way I feel and have been able to exercise. I currently lift weights four times a week and then the other three days I do cardio and core/ab work.

I was at about 188 at the beginning of the month and am now at 181, with very little muscle or strength loss. Getting older doesn’t have to suck I guess, just figure out a more manageable way to live healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And we're going down again. 215 today.
    212 today... but I did have a gastro virus earlier in the week.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Bumping this for the April report in.

Weekly average for this last week in March is 147 - down 5 for the month and down 15 lbs since I started this in mid December. Down 10%, I did some hill work the other day and noticed it.

A 24 hour fast once a week, getting 15,000 steps a day, and adding in strength and mobility work. Been pretty amazing and gives me confidence I can improve my health as I step into the mid 40’s.

Training this month has been shit though, have had a continuous cold and other illnesses since early in the month, travel with family, and this week my wife gone and being the stay at home dad for 2 three year olds, it’s been shit. Sleep has been shit. I think I have lost muscle as well as fat.

I am on the path for diet 95% of the time and so I still dropped weight this month. My treat tonight, Saturday night and it really feels like a treat is mineral water and 85% dark chocolate. Fucking on the path.

Revising the goal to hit 142 or 15% body fat by the end of May. Wildland fire season is around the corner so I’ll be adding chainsaw work and rucking to the agenda and trying to get back on the fitness training path in the next few weeks.

Has me thinking ahead and trying to figure out the best ruck set-up for the Bataan Memorial Death March. I got two 20 lb Go-Ruck plates on a Mystery Ranch NICE frame but it is big and cumbersome. Thinking about the Go-Ruck Rucker pack but I think I am trying to make excuses to buy new shit.

Enough. Go out and sweat and don’t eat like an asshole gentlemen. Out.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 03-30-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Since my last post went from 185 to 175.

Since my last down 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still at the neighborhood of 213-14
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 03-31-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Still at the neighborhood of 213-14
    And we're down to 210.7! Whoo hoo!

Forgot to check in on this. Am currently 199 so still 4# short of the initial goal.

Managed to tear my meniscus a couple weeks back so the no cardio thing has really sucked from a weight loss perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I hate to be the jackass offering unsolicited (and painfully obvious) advice as if it’s somehow insightful, but it is substantially easier to create and maintain a calorie deficit — whether you have healthy knees or not — by eating less than by exercising more.
    Damn, doing a drive-by on a Friday morning throwing salt on mah wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Eating less certainty isn’t as much fun as exercising more (assuming you enjoy exercise), but it works — for everyone, all the time. And as an added bonus I don’t think anyone has ever sustained an injury by not eating something.

As I age, I put injury avoidance higher and higher on my list of priorities — and not eating is pretty low risk.
    You're definitely right that caloric intake is way more effective at losing weight. Doing bjj does (or did ) burn a decent amount of calories though and allowed me to kinda eat like a partial asshole, drink some occasional beer and still lose weight. Now I have to forego my pizza/beer eating desires or fast even more pre/post fun meals.

I may only be 38, but I think my knees are already collecting social security. This getting older shit is for the birds. Will need to re-evaluate my exercise options once I get the knee repair over with.

I did start tracking my meals at the beginning of the year, but I A) got lazy and B) got tired of guessing at calories since I eat a lot of home-cooked Chinese food that there isn't any published data for. If you have good verifiable data to use on foods and can stick with it, I certainly agree it's a huge benefit for tracking your calorie consumption.

User Tag List