Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    This morning I weighed 190.0 pounds (5'8" tall). I don't weigh regularly, but I haven't changed pant sizes in over a decade. The good news is that at 43 years old I only weigh about 10 pounds more than when I graduated from high school (unfit). The bad news is that I weigh about 45 pounds more than when I graduated from college (fit). I guess I'll pick 170 as a goal weight.
    As I mentioned previously, I didn't start actively working to lose any weight until April, at which time I still weighed 190. Today I'm down to 164.4 lbs (on my digital four significant figure scale). My new goal weight is 160 lbs. Thus far I've just cut my food intake, tried to spend ~3 hours a week on the treadmill, and done a few push-ups. Soon I need to start focusing significantly more on getting stronger. I don't have a plan for that yet, but as @Duke noted earlier it's an important aspect of my total fitness (despite my snarky reply).

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    As I mentioned previously, I didn't start actively working to lose any weight until April, at which time I still weighed 190. Today I'm down to 164.4 lbs (on my digital four significant figure scale). My new goal weight is 160 lbs. Thus far I've just cut my food intake, tried to spend ~3 hours a week on the treadmill, and done a few push-ups. Soon I need to start focusing significantly more on getting stronger. I don't have a plan for that yet, but as @Duke noted earlier it's an important aspect of my total fitness (despite my snarky reply).
    If you’re on a treadmill 3 hours a week you’re already doing work.

If we change that into 3 hours - of burpees- per week you’d be jacked in no time.

Actually you wouldn’t. 25 minute of burpees A day would be super hard. But that’s sort of the point.

Truth - you could do 10 minute of burpees a day totally skip the treadmill while getting stronger, faster.....

Seems like you have a solid momentum - just need the next gear
    Last edited by Duke; 11-11-2019 at 11:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    If you’re on a treadmill 3 hours a week you’re already doing work.

If we change that into 3 hours - of burpees- per week you’d be jacked in no time.

Actually you wouldn’t. 25 minute of burpees A day would be super hard. But that’s sort of the point.

Truth - you could do 10 minute of burpees a day totally skip the treadmill while getting stronger, faster.....

Seems like you have a solid momentum - just need the next gear
    That sounds like a simple and straightforward plan. The treadmill was miserable at first, so I assume the burpees will be too. Six months out, the only problems I have with the treadmill are overuse injuries. I'll give the burpees a try and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by pangloss; 11-12-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know I'm pretty late to the party on this, but here goes.

Condensed back story: Was about 205-215 and in good shape in the Army, got injured/depressed/alcohol-fueled and swelled up to 280+, got back down to "fighting weight" after having an epiphany, getting in shape to work for DynCorp and continuing to improve my condition over the two years I was overseas. Slowly added weight over the years as a cop, and eventually found myself back to being single digits away from pre-diabetic and pretty iffy cholesterol numbers. I had started losing weight I'd slowly put on over the years in 2013. I lost about 17 lbs then injured myself. This pattern repeated until I grew the fuck up, listened to my PT, and didn't try to force things too fast. When I was finally deemed healthy enough to try and run again in 2018 I was back to 272 lbs. I started out very gently and entered 2019 at 257. I had used Keto for a bit to get my blood work into healthy ranges and went off it at the end of May at 244. When I stopped Keto I was able to maintain 244-247 range for 3 months (just fluctuated day to day in that range) and while I didn't lose weight I was able to change body composition as I could finally run a decent length again and pick up some barbie-doll sized weights. I stayed there until I popped up to 249.8 upon return from fall break in October. I ate like an asshole and enjoyed it, knowing and accepting the coming cost in calorie deficit days required.

So 249.8 on 10/23. 237.8 today, 11/15. No special diet, no special eating times, just using myfitnesspal and Garmin connect to make a roughly 8k calorie deficit each week.

My goal is 215 +/-5 by 3/15 for the Bataan. I'll still be overweight at that point as I have nowhere near the muscle mass I did when 215 was good shape for me and I doubt I can achieve that again at this point in my life. I can't risk my neck and knee with heavy lifting any longer. I don't even know what I want my end weight to be at this point, I have no idea what 200 will even look like for me, but I can't imagine it'll be a 34" waist again with so much less muscle.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If it hasn’t been said

There are 3,500 calories in one pound of body fat.

If you want to lose 10lbs Of fat you need to burn 35,000 calories.

If you’re not eating like a frat boy - 500 calories a day deficit is what you can likely do and still feel pretty normal.

So 500 cal deficit per day, 35k to burn, it’ll take you 70 days to drop your 10.

If you don’t know how many cals you’re eating, burning or needing then you’re just guessing.

Use this calculator for a rough idea of what you need.

https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr

If you’re already cutting your intake - you need move to burn it. Simply eating less and less can slow your metabolism then you’ll really feel like junk.

That said you can not eat your way to a super fast metabolism - you have to eat but you have burn the fuel or you’ll just add it all back.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If you’re not eating like a frat boy - 500 calories a day deficit is what you can likely do and still feel pretty normal.
    I've felt pretty decent at the 8k a week deficit, but I know that's not sustainable for months at a time. I can say I've been a fucking moron about it most of my life, but I've finally learned to actually listen to my body. I'll do a week or so of maintenance here soon to kind of reset the hunger indicators/metabolism and what not. Here's my calorie deficits since returning from vacation (current week is a partial with 3 days left to go:

Name:  calories.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  24.9 KB

I'm familiar with the 3500 calorie number, and while I know the calorie tracking on the Garmin isn't spot on it must be pretty close. 30,043 deficit, 12 lbs, some of which was doubtlessly water weight and some pipe punishing loads in the colon from all-you-can-eat shrimp... I also don't log my weight training, but at this point it's so pathetic I doubt it is a significant contributor. I'm still building up all the little supporting muscles in my neck and shoulders, especially the left shoulder.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Down to 203. Cutting out the peanuts is helping.
    After a brief swing up, 202 as of this morning.

Celebrated with an Old Gold Old Jamaica Dark Chocolate bar with rum raisins.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Very late to the thread, I'm sure to carry over into the 2020 version.

I quit smoking in August after 30 yrs, at the time I weighed 170. At my leanest I was 155(40 yrs old, P90X every day), at my heaviest 205(30 yrs old, all I did was work and sleep). I now weigh 210, can no longer carry appendix without printing horribly, knees hurt. I think all of the weight gain was in the first three months, so 15 lbs a month. The last time I lost weight and got into shape I cut out all carbs and sweeteners for 3 weeks, then slowly worked the carbs back in as my activity level increased. I kept the soda intake to a minimum, sugars too. Stayed at 155-160 for about 5 yrs.

I'm 51 now, so i don't think I'll get back down to 155, but I have to lose some weight. The plan is to start increasing the activity level...I work 3rd shift and it seems I'm always tired. Cut out the breads and sodas and see where I'm at n a couple of weeks.

I’m not big on “required” equipment for a home gym

But if you have the space - the concept 2 rower can’t be beaten for conditioning in my opinion.

The work is scalable to every level of fitness. You will not get too fit for this thing

Name:  DD4A9960-9316-44A9-9AF1-8D72AB2A6553.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  53.7 KB

I’m not big on “required” equipment for a home gym

But if you have the space - the concept 2 rower can’t be beaten for conditioning in my opinion.

The work is scalable to every level of fitness. You will not get too fit for this thing

Name:  DD4A9960-9316-44A9-9AF1-8D72AB2A6553.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  53.7 KB
    You're an adult; pull up your pants.

User Tag List