Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Weight Loss Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    166 this morning. Went up a half a pound.
    164.5 this morning. I ate like an asshole a couple of times this weekend. Probably should have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post

1.4 pounds this week. Was not as time restricted as previous week, stalled and actually gained weight mid week before dropping at the end.

Plan on finally building out/unboxing garage gym in the next week. Focused on endurance stuff: sled, SkiErg, battle ropes, and atlas sandbags.

Stalled but did not regain any weight. Work and lack of discipline got in the way of putting together garage gym, will try this week. Researching training with strongman type stuff for compliance.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

So I've seen some posts on current weight, some on goal weights, and even some on plans to meet those goals.

My "resolutions" for the year (in this and in other things) are all performance-based instead of outcome-based. I find that if I perform, I get the outcomes I want. This is pretty much true for everything in life. And so this year I set some performance-based goals, or resolutions, in a lot of areas. Specific to the topic herein, my performance or action-based goals are:
    • Ride the Assault Bike 3x/week minimum
    • do the 100 Pushups att 2x/week minimum
    • drink water at meals, not soda
    • limit my side dishes when eating out to 1
    • try to order off the lunch menu whenever possible
    • if I order a burger at a restaurant, only eat half

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    223.5 today, but I've been sick. Seems I caught some sort of allergic rash from something here (doc thinks it's a worm death side effect from a treatment I had a couple of weeks ago).
    Still, it's weightloss.
    220.7 today! Doctor's goal reached, and halfway there to the goal.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    My morning weight in has me down 1/2 lb but my weekly average has me up 1/2 lb from last week. These daily fluctuations has me thinking it is much more to do with hydration and what the body is holding on to rather then some improvement or win. Body fat numbers stay relatively the same so I cannot claim “gaining muscle” for my weight gain.

I expected a little more consistency out of the scale in terms of body fat numbers by I am not surprised it is wonky. Still I got a baseline for long term trends.

Changed the sit-ups and push-ups to every other day which I think is a much better idea. I feel stronger doing them, duh and now focus on stretching and some myofascial release on the alternate day which I have a lot to still learn about. Getting much closer to my one set numbers goals, 45 after just over a month.

Ate like an asshole twice, ate a pint of rice pudding I made and then a day or so later all the French fries I could at lunch. Those simple carbs are a drug, feels so good until it doesn’t. The second time I reduced/skipped the next meal mainly because I was not hungry but maybe Tom is in my head now.

I think the next 10 lbs is going to be hard. I think I need to just hit the discipline hard and consistent for a few months and probably up my activity 20% or more. I won’t expect to be there until May. Plan for this week is to up my sit-ups and push-ups by a few reps and get 3 10 minute kettlebell workouts in - borrowed a 26 lb from a friend. I was going to up my steps but I am going to hold on that for a few more weeks. I am also trying to get in for physical therapy for my right hip getting it to be less jacked up will be a life benefit as well as help this path.

Hold the line, gentleman and don’t eat like an asshole.

I went up at least a couple pounds this morning. I am going to do a do over tomorrow.

It kind of depressed me because and I kid you not I had an average of around 1,300 calories the last 7 days, and skipped all manner of temptations (Friday night it was a large square of hot chocolate brownies that a certain someone accidentally brought into the car - I held off eating any of it but the smell drove me nuts on the way home from dinner.)

Couple reasons maybe: I am getting perhaps more stressed than I need to at work. We are on mandatory OT at the moment trying to get revenue; I have one program that is causing me a lot of gas, my other six are doing great - almost like on autopilot. Argh. So can too much stress cause weight gain?

Ok, second, I bought a loaf of "low carb" bread, and have been having it this week more than usual - so maybe the added carb (basically sugar, right?) and higher glycemic index food average is not helping me stay/get into ketosis? Anyway, I'm going to dump the bread next cycle.

And third, although I skipped lunch three days this past week, it occurred to me I'm not hydrating enough. I'm not exactly "clear and copious". So if I drink "a lot" of water, with the BP medicine I'm on it's like I'm always going (I know, TMI, old guy stuff) but seriously, I probably need to bring at least a couple bottles of water to work to drink while I'm on the factory floor. So I will try and hydrate a lot more in the coming week.

The only ray of sunshine in this period is I downed another notch on my belt. Which is weird because how the heck can you gain weight and drop an inch on your belt.

Need to stay focused.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-26-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I went up at least a couple pounds this morning. I am going to do a do over tomorrow.

It kind of depressed me because and I kid you not I had an average of around 1,300 calories the last 7 days, and skipped all manner of temptations (Friday night it was a large square of hot chocolate brownies that a certain someone accidentally brought into the car - I held off eating any of it but the smell drove me nuts on the way home from dinner.)

Couple reasons maybe: I am getting perhaps more stressed than I need to at work. We are on mandatory OT at the moment trying to get revenue; I have one program that is causing me a lot of gas, my other six are doing great - almost like on autopilot. Argh. So can too much stress cause weight gain?

Ok, second, I bought a loaf of "low carb" bread, and have been having it this week more than usual - so maybe the added carb (basically sugar, right?) and higher glycemic index food average is not helping me stay/get into ketosis? Anyway, I'm going to dump the bread next cycle.

And third, although I skipped lunch three days this past week, it occurred to me I'm not hydrating enough. I'm not exactly "clear and copious". So if I drink "a lot" of water, with the BP medicine I'm on it's like I'm always going (I know, TMI, old guy stuff) but seriously, I probably need to bring at least a couple bottles of water to work to drink while I'm on the factory floor. So I will try and hydrate a lot more in the coming week.

The only ray of sunshine in this period is I downed another notch on my belt. Which is weird because how the heck can you gain weight and drop an inch on your belt.

Need to stay focused.
    Water retention from the carbs. It takes a lot of juice to move that shit through your guts...literally. Your caloric intake seems really low too. Is that based on your BMR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Water retention from the carbs. It takes a lot of juice to move that shit through your guts...literally. Your caloric intake seems really low too. Is that based on your BMR?

Thanks Doc. No clue. I just picked -2 lbs per week / lightly active in MyFitnessPal?

Here’s my last 7 days:

1,500 I think was what it predicted...I’ll up the water intake level. Appreciate it.

1,500 I think was what it predicted...I’ll up the water intake level. Appreciate it.
    One tip from my cardiologist- two glasses of water upon wakeup. I usually do hot tapwater right after brushing my teeth, as I can't stand cold water in the am.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Need to stay focused.
    1,300 calories a day is suitable for a sendentary, 50 year old, 100 pound woman.

Stress can cause all sorts of hormonal imbalance that can inhibit weight loss or cause weight gain (fat and/or water). That can be stress from work, stress from eating like a granny and starving yourself, or stress from having random meal patterns in the chart you posted, etc. It can be things that you're not even aware of.

You have to watch "low carb" processed foods, it's just not good for you, and a lot of it isn't really low carb. If you want to do the ketosis thing I'd recommend getting an Atkins Book. The Atkins Diet is trademarked and controlled by the Atkins group. You can buy an actual Atkins book, and be completed insulated from the insufferable bullshit of the internet. The signal to noise ratio on the Keto diet is pretty terrible. Slim chance you can get reliable information from a reliable source, you can get some reliable information that's been copied and redistributed by unreliable sources, and a ton of unreliable information for unreliable sources. Keto and Atkins diet really aren't that different, the difference is that Keto is a monetary free for all.

Regardless of the diet you choose, the biggest thing you can control is when you eat, what you eat, and how much you eat. It's boring eating the same kinds of things all the time but starting out the more variables you can reduce by meal planning and eating at the same times, the quicker you can figure out what does and doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-27-2019 at 01:42 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List