Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not me, it's the gun (so now what?) - Gen4 G17 issues

Sell both, buy two 1911s, thank me later.

Okay - okay - Same ammo in both guns? You didn't recently switch to the new longer (OAL) American Eagle in 147 did you? Before I tossed the baby out with the bathwater I'd try at least three premimum JHPs in different weights and see what I got. If it's the gun and not you, my first stop in diagnosing gun problems is ammo selection.

If there identical, and you're only tossing shots with one during the same range session I think it's safe to say that one has an issue.
    Any shooter error that would cause the issue should show up when shooting both, right?

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    If there identical, and you're only tossing shots with one during the same range session I think it's safe to say that one has an issue.
    Any shooter error that would cause the issue should show up when shooting both, right?

-Cory
    Not necessarily. I would want to see that repeated at least two or three range session before I discounted “loose nut behind trigger.” People are funny.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not necessarily. I would want to see that repeated at least two or three range session before I discounted “loose nut behind trigger.” People are funny.
    Well shit, now I gotta go to the range again tomorrow
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My observations of our officers, many of whom carry a P229DAK duty gun and a Glock 26/43 off duty gun mirror yours.

The OP is shooting at a high level and thus sensitive to small changes in performance. SLG previously discussed the diffences between truly shooting /learning “one gun” vs a couple identical or near identical guns.

While the diffence is measurable, for practical purposes the OP would likely max out most LE Agency qualification COF with either gun.

The problem I have with quals is....the first time I tried a qualification as a left handed person (I'm right handed and for fun/instructor training I made myself a lefty) I scored well enough on the AZPOST qual to join SWAT(235). The third time I tried I did well enough to be an instructor(240). A few days later I shot a perfect 250. I guess I'm just God's gift to shooting? LOL, not a chance. The qual is just too darned easy.

For self defense we have to look at the differences between our test and what often happens in real life. Then we have to make some assumptions based on those differences. I like to assume that I'm more screwed up than I think. Because often I prove myself correct. As an old retiree and not shooting anywhere near what I used to that's even more true.

Or as I would laugh at people who shot their first 250 on the qual..."Great job. Now you can learn to gunfight."
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I took my calipers out to the car and measured my rear sights on the slides. 505's rear is .02 further from the left edge of the slide than 251's. That accounts for the windage difference I bet, but not the spread. I need to take my calipers home and measure sight heights, notch widths, and like up rears to be exact.

Then, tomorrow, we'll shoot some more @ 25 and see what can be done.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    The problem I have with quals is....the first time I tried a qualification as a left handed person (I'm right handed and for fun/instructor training I made myself a lefty) I scored well enough on the AZPOST qual to join SWAT(235). The third time I tried I did well enough to be an instructor(240). A few days later I shot a perfect 250. I guess I'm just God's gift to shooting? LOL, not a chance. The qual is just too darned easy.

For self defense we have to look at the differences between our test and what often happens in real life. Then we have to make some assumptions based on those differences. I like to assume that I'm more screwed up than I think. Because often I prove myself correct. As an old retiree and not shooting anywhere near what I used to that's even more true.

Or as I would laugh at people who shot their first 250 on the qual..."Great job. Now you can learn to gunfight."
    If the AZ POST qual is anything like the TX TCOLE qual that’s not much of a standard. Some fed agency quals, while not much by PF standards, are at least a good basic test and better indication it is time to move on to other things.

Sell all firearms and seek counseling.

Ditch the Gen 4 and procure a pair of Generation 5 17s, 19s or 45s.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You need to buy more guns. You need a matched pair of LTT Elites, a matched pair of S&W 2.0's, a matched pair of CZ Shadows, matched pairs of each of the new hotness Gen 5 Glocks and might as well get a matched pair of 9mm 1911's. I don't know anything about HK's, SIG's or Walthers, but you probably should get some of them too.

edit: Forgot to say you need several J-Frames plus some K-Frames too.
    Last edited by BN; 12-06-2018 at 06:08 PM.

User Tag List