Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Taylor's American Small Arms Academy Urban and Home Defense Handgun Course

Quote Originally Posted by 0331king View Post
    Not to derail the thread but this has always confused me. I have often heard internet people talk about Hackathorn having instructed or help develop Deltas shooting package. I’m certain I have heard Vickers say it. But I have heard first hand from two separate retired Delta guys that the story and claims are greatly exaggerated if not borderline bogus. They both claimed that his only connection to that organization was Vickers who brought him in for a “class”. The instrumental people they name are the Leathams, Voights and Coolies. They say that those guys made the organization the shooters they are.
    The whole thing is shrouded in secrecy, so I have no idea about that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Ken Hackathorn has a cameo in Sicario.
    He does?

Not listed in Ken's imdb bio...?
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5385695/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I've only met KH once, back in the latter 1900's when IDPA was first becoming a thing. Me and a couple buddies drove from Indianapolis, IN to Somefuckingwhere, MO to attend a match that KH was hosting. He was RO'ing the Bill Drill and was imminently approachable. I had a brand new G22 and as I was shooting the stage, I was thinking about how much more I liked the 8lb trigger w/3.5lb connector ('cause Reset Duh!) in my other Glocks. I fired a seventh round and immediately said, "Ah, shit." Ken nodded sagely (as with most of his mannerisms) and says, "Yep, you were thinking instead of focusing on the shooting at hand." I immediately elevated the already high esteem with which I regarded him. A guy that can watch me shooting and see that I'm thinking too much and call me on it is a by God teacher of the highest order. Wish I could've jumped on the KH/LV 1911 class that passed within smelling distance when I was in NC.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 12-19-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    He does?
    There is a guy at the motel when they are prepping for the night time tunnel hit who looks just like him.

There is a guy at the motel when they are prepping for the night time tunnel hit who looks just like him.
    Didn't catch that, but one of the characters is supposedly an homage to "The Accountant" so I guess it's possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Didn't catch that, but one of the characters is supposedly an homage to "The Accountant" so I guess it's possible.
    You mean te accountant the movie ? Because that didn’t come out until a year after Sicario.

Pretty sure the Steve Character was loosely based on SGM Mike Vining, an old school SF / Delta guy who got internet famous as one of Gen Schwartzkopf’s bodyguards during the gulf Way.

Name:  9ED4FADF-EF40-478F-A043-3A997E1F88B3.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  595DA8C2-995A-4344-B351-27BD6081B9E8.jpeg
Views: 540
Size:  89.5 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 12-19-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Not the movie. MSG Vining, whom the internet calls him 'The Accountant' due to the BCGs and non-descript appearance. Goofs on the internet think all Special Operations soldiers are supposed to look like outside linebackers.
    Last edited by BigD; 12-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.

I was lucky enough to train a couple of times in the early 90's with Chuck, he was a really nice and friendly guy.

The Weaver stance was what I was originally taught and was very popular at that time.
    Not sure but I assume he is still using it. At this point in his life he probably will not change, his choice.

He was one of the first big name guys of that time to accept the Glock and carried one at each of the schools I attended with him.

He is not against competition and did a lot of high level competition in his day and did very well. He believes it helps as long as you realize some competitions have no tactics involved, only good shooting.

I for the most part agree with most of what he says, a few things I would like to hear his explanation of his beliefs.
    But he is a good guy who has done lots of good work and I am pretty sure he can still out shoot the vast majority of us with which ever stance he chose.
    Last edited by sierra 223; 12-19-2018 at 08:09 PM.

I was thinking one of the crusty old U.S. Marshals at the extradition briefing...but no.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I was thinking one of the crusty old U.S. Marshals at the extradition briefing...but no.
    No, this is later in the movie. They are in two adjoining motel rooms. It afternoon and they are briefing for hitting the cross border tunnel later that night. The one they will use to insert their operative into Mexico.

User Tag List