Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: till Valhalla ????

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Ol' Alex was from Macedonia to the North
    But he led a united Greece? I’ll admit I thought he was Spartan and was mistaken. Wikipedia indicates his Father adopted and enhanced their phalanx after spending years there as a hostage (under tactics https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx).

Then the Romans went on to use the Phalanx pretty extensively with combined arms, etc. which is what Alexander was known for (companion cavalry, etc.).

Anyway, I’ll just agree with the post focal point and let it go.
    Last edited by BWT; 12-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Spartans were extremely effective marketing gurus...
    That kind of makes them appropriate then, doesn't it, as most of this Spartan what-not is marketing?

It's not for me, but I guess I get why it's popular. Things we used to do to bond and form groups are now "hazing" and, combined with a host of other factors, the feeling of camaraderie and brotherhood has declined, IMO. A lot of this stuff is a synthetic version of brotherhood. There's obviously a market for it. Note the Legion campaign from Sig.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Good stuff.

I have come to a point where I detest the whole Spartan warrior thing that’s popular in LE nowadays.
    The warrior thing is more broad-based than LE alone. Much of it is popularized on social media, and it is manifest in clothing choices, decals on vehicles, backdrops in YouTube videos, etc. It's no surprise that a lot of people are influenced by this and seek to show how cool (or simply how in-fashion) they are. It's become a fairly vast and perverse echo chamber full of people sporting a general appearance and pseudo-mindset.

What happened to being a regular guy who is nonetheless squared away?
    Last edited by ubervic; 12-06-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    But he led a united Greece? I’ll admit I thought he was Spartan and was mistaken. Wikipedia indicates his Father adopted and enhanced their phalanx after spending years there as a hostage (under tactics https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx).

Then the Romans went on to use the Phalanx pretty extensively with combined arms, etc. which is what Alexander was known for (companion cavalry, etc.).

Anyway, I’ll just agree with the post focal point and let it go.

ETA:

I’m going to ask a bit more personal but also straightforward question. Do you have a lot of friends currently? With the schedule you have I would say probably not.

But, I think a hobby where you form close friendships would be good as well. I think part of the frustration is you don’t have many outlets currently. Jiu Jitsu was awesome for me for this.
    Moderator please save me. This edit was for another thread. I had multiple open and I’m typing from a smart phone.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I mean, I have friends and my work schedule isn't that bad but I guess I can try Jiu Jitsu if you want me to
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That kind of makes them appropriate then, doesn't it, as most of this Spartan what-not is marketing?

It's not for me, but I guess I get why it's popular. Things we used to do to bond and form groups are now "hazing" and, combined with a host of other factors, the feeling of camaraderie and brotherhood has declined, IMO. A lot of this stuff is a synthetic version of brotherhood. There's obviously a market for it. Note the Legion campaign from Sig.
    Kinda, but I'm guessing the goobers all over the theme probably don't intend to emulate the ancient world's billboard and hype man weenies.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Thank you for this. A fair warning.

The video's title notwithstanding, it seems to me Pannone's main points are:

1. Training community - trainers and students both I surmise - may miss deeper understanding of how they teach/learn, what they are learning, why they are learning it (neural programing).

2. Briefings/lecture don't make one "hard" or prepared.

3. Mindset is about decisions made in advance about a range of preparations both physical and mental. Lifestyle builds mindset towards the goal of being "hard". Since lifestyle means action, this must be part of the meaning of the 2nd half of my sig line.

The current Valhalla fashion is a "hook" but a small part of the message.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I noticed that he touched on the range theatrics thing. This little look-left-and-dance is, indeed, silly. One name-now-forgotten local LE instructor occasionally gave the students something to actually see AND PERCEIVE when they looked left/right, and most students totally missed it, because the look-left-and-right dance was just that, a dance, looking without seeing anything.

I will concede that most range environments will not allow a 360-degree scan, while holding a hot weapon, but 360-degree scanning, while actually seeing, is so very important.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Mindset is not a history lesson where you simply listen and remember and regurgitate the facts for the test . Simply being exposed to even a good mindset lecture is just a jumping off point. You have not arrived.

Changing your mindset is actually changing the way you think and solve problems. Mindset we talk about is mental toughness. It has to do with how you are mentally geared and your personal resiliency and what you are willing to endure and in the end what you are truly willing and ready to inflict upon others who seek to harm you. That can't be hardwired in a 30 minute lecture. That is going to take experiences and often hardship endured of one type or another. I'm also not saying that ONLY multi tour combat vets or veteran policemen have it. Plenty of little old ladies smoke violent criminals every year so being "hard" does not always have to do so much with being experienced or even "strong" as it has to do with being mentally resilient and willing to do what it takes if the situation arises.

The thing is that mental resiliency is often built in people from struggle and struggle is an action. Think Theodore Roosevelt and the "strenuous life". He was a frail young boy who went out of his way to do hard things to get tougher. But again plenty of grandmothers have straight up dropped the hammer on felons that on paper should win hands down. Maybe the mental and physical struggle of raising children and grandchildren in less than ideal situations led to making them mentally tougher than their outward appearance would belie. My grandmother was not a powerlifter or a sprinter or a combat vet but she was a tough old lady who lived and raised a family during the Depression who lost a finger and a half on one hand in an industrial accident working in a munitions plant during WWII and when the time called for it she could go to guns (literally at least once that I know of) at the drop of a hat.

And not one velcro patch was needed.....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 12-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.

User Tag List