Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: till Valhalla ????

I follow where you're going with this. Nevertheless, if it's worth taking the effort to confront and\or remove the habit, I don't think "gotcha" moments on the firing line are the best way to about it.

If using a live blade, as seen other places; then there is a very real chance that someone is going to very appropriately point a gun at someone that would rather not have such a thing happen.

If using a training blade; then there is the question as to whether or not the shooter remaining faced downrange while verbally querying the person behind them is really appropriate given proximity and having just fired at a target (or notional aggressor). Another place has described using a similar prompt to have shooters reholster, pivot, and verbally challenge the knife bearer; and I don't know if that's an improvement.

If it is a worthy subject for training, I don't know that the live-fire range is the appropriate venue for it; but your mileage may very, and you may work in different realms than I.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I follow where you're going with this. Nevertheless, if it's worth taking the effort to confront and\or remove the habit, I don't think "gotcha" moments on the firing line are the best way to about it.

If using a live blade, as seen other places; then there is a very real chance that someone is going to very appropriately point a gun at someone that would rather not have such a thing happen.

If using a training blade; then there is the question as to whether or not the shooter remaining faced downrange while verbally querying the person behind them is really appropriate given proximity and having just fired at a target (or notional aggressor). Another place has described using a similar prompt to have shooters reholster, pivot, and verbally challenge the knife bearer; and I don't know if that's an improvement.

If it is a worthy subject for training, I don't know that the live-fire range is the appropriate venue for it; but your mileage may very, and you may work in different realms than I.
    What do you think about this variation I have had an instructor use in a class? He would hold up x-number of fingers then ask students after they reholstered how many and what hand. It eliminates having to deal with somebody that has a weapon while still training folks to see detail.

I'd find that preferable, though it can turn into a rabbit hole quickly.

Understanding that post-engagement scans by any name may be doctrinally justified any number of ways, those I've heard most often are a visual sweep for movement limiters (e.g. avoid collisions with others, don't step in front of friendly muzzles) and safety issues (e.g. friendly muzzles, friendly in need of assistance, additional threats).

Asking a student to identify and recite the number of fingers raised or the contents of hand(s) DOES ask for a more deliberate rearward scan than otherwise; but it also calls for the student to dwell beyond that required to answer, in example: "hands empty yes\no, path clear yes\no?" Asking\expecting extraneous information to be recited by the student doesn't seem to address the implied context of the range training nor the context of the scans (or rebuttal to the same); it's just added complexity.

Implementing the whole thing during live-fire training sufficient that the entire firing line (+/- additional relays) gets meaningful and validated repetitions of it, burns a lot of time. If there's not some sort of instructor\student validation of the "looking vs seeing" consideration, why do it at all?

If it has to be done, I think it's much more suited for FOF venues.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

That video makes a lot of sense, and it says some things that should be simple but are actually hard to explain.

Two key takeaways for me:

"decisions made before they need to be made"

and

"living your life in a way that will prepare you to succeed under pressure."

Real world example: We do a lot of construction management. I've been at this long enough that I'm one of the people who teaches younger people. It's a given that they're technically competent, or we wouldn't put them out there in the first place. From there, our job is to think several steps ahead, to anticipate problems before they happen. Do that well, and things tend to run smoothly. Do it poorly, and it's delays and stress. It's the difference between profit and loss. While no one is shooting back, a stressful job environment is also less safe, and more injuries happen on poorly managed jobs.

I have some young people right now who are really good at this, and that's because they're prepared... they already understand what needs to happen and they've made a lot of the decisions up front, so they're ready when something unexpected does occur... and they're prepared because these are people who have learned to always be aware and thinking ahead. A few successes and they learn to trust their instincts.

So it's not limited to time on the range, or in training class. It's always, every day, in our routine actions, that we build effective mindset.

User Tag List