Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Twisty or Fwd Clicky switch for personal defense lights?

Surefire Twisty or Fwd Clicky switch for personal defense lights?

My apologies if this issue is addressed in existing threads. I did a search, but found nothing that discussed it.

I have 'push for momentary on/twist for constant on' switches on all my handheld personal defense/home defense lights, a mix of Surefire E2T-MV, EDC2L-T, G2X Tactical, 6P, C2L, P2X Fury, and Z2. I understand that the purpose of choosing this type of switch instead of a forward clicky switch is to avoid the risk of the light remaining on after you want it to go out. I am aware that some folks claim the twisty switch is more reliable and more durable than a clicky-type switch, but I have no idea if this is true.

I've also noticed that more lights sold as personal defense/tactical lights have a clicky switch as opposed to the twisty, even among Surefire products. Malkoff doesn't seem to sell a twisty; Elzetta and Arisaka offer both types.

Is there a consensus here that the push for push for momentary/twist for constant is superior to a forward clicky in a light that will be used for personal defense? Vice versa? Is this much ado about nothing?

What reasons would cause folks here to pick one switch type over the other for personal defense by an armed citizen?

I prefer a click because most of the time if I need a light I only have one hand free.

I don't care for clicky type tail caps as I find them more difficult to activate in a "syringe" type hold.
    Last edited by NETim; 12-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    I prefer the momentary only button, twist for constant on type switch. However, for years the light I have carried has had a forward clicky. Some lights are easier than others to avoid unintentionally clicking the light to constant on, with Malkoff being particularly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Momentary gas pedal is my preference and I love the EDC2L-T.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Momentary gas pedal is my preference and I love the EDC2L-T.
    I really like that light too, but I wish it wasn't so long compared to other 2x CR123a lights. It's about 5.84" long. Really like the gas pedal switch; wish it was available in other lights too.

Tex, sounds like you are looking for a 2 cell light, but if the form factor is a problem, you may want to look at the EDCL-1T single cell. I have one, and it is a good tool. I'm still trying to adjust to the tail cap, though...any light I carry will also be a utility tool, and for me the forward clicky with a momentary seems to work best.

Site Supporter
    For a purely self defense light I prefer a momentary-on/twist for constant. In attempt to make use of a personal defense light that will most likely never be used in that role, I love the EDCL1/L2 lights for their gas pedal switch. Even if you are using constant-on Low mode in a task situation like changing a tire, you can just push harder for High.
    Last edited by APS-PF; 12-06-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Adam

I greatly prefer a clicky tailcap, momentary only can be problematic when holding someone at gunpoint and need to do something with your support hand (like use the radio or open a door or move brush). You can still get the momentary function with a SF clicky as well, if you like it...but being able to turn it on and leave it on (with the same motion as if you want to use it as a momentary) is a big benefit. I remember crawling into a thick brush area one night where I couldn't see into a hollowed out area on my hands and knees and wanted to cover it...with one hand on the pistol grip of my rifle and the other one moving brush and supporting myself while crawling I really realized the benefit of a clicky that night. It’s easy, press to turn on, press to turn off...if you don’t want it to stay on, don’t press so hard.

If we’re talking exclusively about a handheld...same traffic. One motion for all functions, makes it simpler for when you’re doing a bunch of stuff with split attention.
    Last edited by TCB; 12-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.

TCB has a really good point.

I used to heavily prefer the twisty switches, since I felt clickys presented a danger of the light staying on constant mode unwantedly. But after a bit more experience with different lights I've become much more agnostic about the issue. Nowadays, how the switch is designed is more important to me than what type it is. (And, of course, something that is much more difficult to find out without buying the light and trying it yourself...) As long as the switch is designed so it can't be clicked accidentally, I don't mind a clicky anymore. And now TCB points out some really good reasons why a good clicky might indeed be even preferable.

User Tag List