Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Glock?

Site Supporter
    I have been farewell-ing Glock for about 2 years.

It won't happen. They are the Lays potato chips of pistol shooting.

I too reached a plateau of Glock shooting. The increase in performance was getting harder and harder to come by. I was happy with my performance relative to standards.

Improving my Glock shooting is what brought me to PF. I had accomplished my goals...so now what?

I decided to truly force myself to improve the TDA shooting. I liked the platform better in almost every way.

However for serious NPE carry, I still use a G26.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I talked to @karmapolice about it some this evening and his suggestion was to get over the wanting to shoot 100 on a B8 at 25yds. Maybe that’s really the answer. Everything else about the Glocks works really well.

Other options would be getting a KKM or similar match grade barrel.

Another option we floated was selling a 17 to buy a G45. Maybe adding an RDS.
    I recommend getting a used browning buckmark, a dot, and a 5 bricks of decent ammo (CCI, Aguila, or Federal). This will set you back the price of one new Glock. Shoot it until you can shoot 100 on B8 at 25 yards on command.

Then transition to a harder pistol.

No longer carrying your Glocks is fine. I think selling them would be a mistake.

I think of my defensive pistols as falling into "families" of Beretta, Glock, and other(1911 and revolver). In a perfect world I'd have 3 matching full size guns (carry, Dryfire/practice, Home defense/spare) and a similar compact gun in each.

While thats a tad unrealistic, I like handguns. My point is turning to something new doesnt mean you have to get rid of your Glocks. It might take you a long time to get 2 matching guns from another "family" but thats okay. In the meantime you can still trust the Glocks.

Of course, its also okay to think of yours as Gen3s, and Gen5s. Or irons and RMRs and the like. You dont even need to have another brand.

You will regret selling. Period.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Thinking about this some more and to more specifically answer the thought exercise:

What is your primary shooting goal?
    To build and maintain skill with a variety of firearms such that I am adequately equipped to defend myself and loved ones from any number of bad things.
    If you can shoot like that with a J-frame on demand, you can probably pick up anything and do well.

If you want a like trigger: larger revolver M10,13,19,66; LEM; TDA.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My Gen 5 Glocks G42,G43,G26,G19,G19X,G45,G17,G34MOS and HK VP9SK,VP9 pistols keep me happy.
    Now I need to decide which Gen 5 Glock to send to Primary Machine to have milled.
    Should I send a G45 since it has a better handle on the extraction/ejection process?

I said "Hello" to Glocks about a year ago.

I had to wait until the SCD was released for the Gen 5 to be comfortable carrying AIWB though.

So far I have two, a very early G19.5 which I shoot for USPSA and a G26.5+2 mag extension I carry. Both have SCDs both have stock height rears and Ameriglo orange 0.180" front sights. I am pondering using a GSSF coupon to acquire another Glock in 2018; but have not come to rest on a decision. The leading candidate is another G19.5, assuming it has the latest changes (notch in slide, 40271 Ejector, correct bevel).

Before that, as a know-nothing newcomer in 2013 I went through a succession of M&P 1.0, VP9, Walther PPS M2, HK P30SK LEM before selling both HKs and buying the Glock 19/26.

What I like about Glock:

It works; generally all the time.
    If I do my job, I can drill the center of a 1" square at 7 yards. I can put 10 rounds in a USPSA head box at 10 yards, on demand. I can manage scores above 80 with 10 rounds on a B8 at 25 yards. (again, if I do my job).
    It is easy to work on. Astonishingly (to me at least) I have taken it completely apart and put it back together, twice now, using a punch, a roll of blue painters tape as an Armorer's Block, and a YouTube video.
    I can get parts or magazines at the corner store, or so it seems.
    Everyone has a holster for a Glock 19.
    There are like a bazillion sight options for a Glock 19.
    There is a Striker Control Device aka Gadget available for the Glock. I like this, a lot.
    Being a lefty. while I appreciate the ambi controls/reversible controls, it's a right handed world so I've adapted to it.

Now, let's see, what do I not like about the Glock:

The ejection pattern on my G19 after 3,000+ rounds has gotten literally all over the place. I renewed the TMH/E with a newer part and hopefully will improve/restore normal ejection.
    I would vastly prefer not to press the trigger for field strip, a la the VP9.
    The overall fit and finish of the internals seem a bit ah, agricultural; with quite a few bent or loosely cast parts. All well and good if they merge together but it does seem like the manufacturing tolerances could be better. Having said that a replacement part is like $5-$15 so likely it is no big deal to find a combination that works.
    Removing a magazine basepad should not require the Jaws of Life. I find this a gigantic PITA even though I use a pair of channel locks to compress the tube as well as a FIXXER Glock Magazine tool. I think the design is just ridiculous though. Good thing I don't have a real frequent need to dissassemble a Glock OEM magazine (like the cough cough 1911 single stack shooters cough cough at matches .)

But these are small cheese blocks to go with this wine.

Overall I am pretty happy with what I have. I kind of now "get it" in that I have the tool(s) I need to focus on getting better at shooting (a Gabe White Dark Pin, as well as making it to USPSA C class, are my goals for 2019.)
    Last edited by RJ; 12-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Removing a magazine basepad should not require the Jaws of Life. I find this a gigantic PITA even though I use a pair of channel locks to compress the tube as well as a FIXXER Glock Magazine tool.
    Pro tip -a small C-clamp is the best way to compress the mag body while removing the base plate. I usually turn mine just past the point that the magazine no longer rotates freely in the jaws of the c-clamp. Usually the basepad slides right off after that. The Fixxer glock mag tool isn't nearly as good.

Vending Machine Operator
    I will say that I miss my Glock 19 Gen 4, solely because I did not also sell my 17Gen4 or 26Gen4, so now there's a gap in the lineup and it drives my OCD crazy. My 19G4 was my favorite and best Glock. Until the half-moon cutout goes away I'm gonna stay on Gen 4 Glocks generally, or the 19X/G45 that don't have it.

Problem is, M2.0 snuck in there and now I couldn't possibly justify it when I'd pick the 2.0 4" over the 19. Maybe later on in life when I am done with my current "invest everything" obsession.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

For the prior two posts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRquLIpolc

Here's someone's video which basically shows how we're taught, in Glock Armorers' class, to disassemble and remove a Glock magazine baseplate. I now saved everyone the $250/person, which is what Glock now charges for its Armorers' class.

Using a punch, push the punch through the bottom hole to dislodge the magazine "INSERT" (that internal plate);

once the insert is internally dislodged, using the punch, strongly pull the mag's BASEPLATE forward and off (be careful to not let the spring jump out with the insert AND wear safety glasses, just in case).

OTHER NOTES:

-I don't use a Glock Tool as the Glock Tool can get bent doing this task, although a Glock Tool does work. I use an all-steel punch from a set bought at a hardware store, although the punch of the same size as a Glock Tool can also get slightly bent if torqued by not inserting the punch all way in.

-I have broken an internal mag insert or two during the 20+ years of doing this, but it's a rare event should this occur.
    Last edited by L-2; 12-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Farewell to Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For the prior two posts,

Thanks for saving me two fiddy.

I will say I am probably among the few who lack the finger grip strength to ‘press in slightly’ (my wife opens all the jars at my house lol).

I like Neph’s C clamp idea though.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List