Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Glock?

I put away my Glocks in October 2011, after finishing my second class with TLG. I went to other side. HKs, SIGs, Berettas, a J-frame. Went like that for seven years. Then one morning I woke up and found myself carrying Glocks. I said WTF and proceeded to carry on.

There is nothing like farewell to Glocks.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I talked to @karmapolice about it some this evening and his suggestion was to get over the wanting to shoot 100 on a B8 at 25yds. Maybe that’s really the answer. Everything else about the Glocks works really well.

Other options would be getting a KKM or similar match grade barrel.

Another option we floated was selling a 17 to buy a G45. Maybe adding an RDS.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I talked to @karmapolice about it some this evening and his suggestion was to get over the wanting to shoot 100 on a B8 at 25yds. Maybe that’s really the answer. Everything else about the Glocks works really well.

Other options would be getting a KKM or similar match grade barrel.

Another option we floated was selling a 17 to buy a G45. Maybe adding an RDS.
    A red dot will improve your 25 yard shooting while giving you continuous feedback on your trigger press, and make you a better shot caller.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've said this over and over again - I hate everything about GLOCKs until I get on the range. Then I remember why I've sold and rebought the G19 so darned many times...

The sad truth is that, right now, you'll get killed if you try to sell a GLOCK that isn't a Gen5, G19X, or G45. I basically had to give away my Gen4 G34 a couple of weeks back, at least it went to a good guy who'll get some use out of it.

My suggestion is keep what you've got, save up some money, and maybe look at an MOS to dip a toe in the RDS waters.

I hate everything about Glocks until I get on the range too. Then I only hate a few things about 'em. But I don't live on a gun range (even though I own two) and Glocks are just not optimal for me in any fashion off the range.

I say dump 'em if you're frustrated with 'em.

ETA: Doublestack Glocks. The 43 is the only handgun I own that's not a 1911 and I love my 43s.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 12-05-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Just a thought. Since your main carry gun is a J-frame what about a Beretta 92D or PX4 type D? Or maybe a type C, LEM, DAK or something like that.
    I was thinking along these lines, specifically the Sig P250. However, most/all of these are discontinued. The H&K 4.1 LEM is probably the closest current production to a true DAO. Kahr also gets honorable mention in this regard. I find a lot of continuity between my P250c's, Kahr K9/CW9, and SP101.

However, I also dig my BHP, and if I weren't on a hammer-fired kick and feeling lukewarm toward SFA's, the M&P9c 2.0 is at the top of the list to replace my Glock (which I still own). My main objection to the (Gen3) Glock is grip size...SHO, the harder I squeeze the more it wants to squirt out of my grip, and spending 1.5x the cost of the gun for grip work just doesn't make economic sense to me.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-05-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    The one Glock I am keeping is a gen 5 cut for a RMR.

I mean, you gotta keep one around for reasons.

My main point here is that Glock is basically the Walmart jeans of the gun world. They're not pretty, but they cover your ass and you'll always be able to find a pair cheap.

If you want specific performance (shooting a 100/100 on a B8 with a service type pistol), there are better options.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If this thread triggers a great apostasy, I am gonna be waiting with billfold open wide... Lol.

The only reason I could see to ditch all of your Glocks is to buy better Glocks. Gotta have a couple around, even if a kitten gun side trip is needed to keep the fires burning.

Farewell to Glock???

You’ll come back. They always come back.

Seriously, I didn’t fully appreciate how good Glocks are until I learned how to really shoot a TDA.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I've pretty much given up on Glocks, I keep one G19 just because but that's it. Only partially Glocks fault, it's more on the State of California. I can't get the neutered 10-round G19 mags to run reliably with hollowpoints. Anything newer than Gen 3 is off-roster so only available through private sales, supply and demand = a big price premium and, for me, usually a long drive in a big state, twice, because 10-day wait. Not worth it with the mag issue. I suppose a G26 would work OK, but my P2000sk does a fine job of filling that same niche. If I could easily get and keep newer generations and standard capacity mags it might be a different story. But I can't, so it isn't.

But here's another perspective that might also apply to Glocks at least for some folks.

Shooting for points, I'm finding that I do better with a TDA pistol, relative to either a Glock or a LEM. That's especially true with my USP 45 Elite which is scary accurate, but realistically I'm not carrying something that size in an urban environment, with the long sight radius and tight tolerances and match trigger it's really a target and not a carry pistol. Some other full-size TDA pistols work pretty well for me too, and some of those are feasible for carry.

On the other hand, my P2000 pair shoots slightly larger groups, but that's because the LEM is a street trigger and not a match trigger, and those groups are plenty adequate to end a fight if that's ever needed.

I'm still torn, and debating whether I want to stay with LEM or try a TDA for a while. What makes it tough is that shooting the nicer TDA triggers, especially the SA part, degrades my performance with LEM (on the other hand, shooting lots of DA revolver tends to improve it). So it's not really play with one at the range and carry the other, it's make a choice and go with it for a while. Is it more important to be able to nail the low probability shot, or to value the same pull every time and relative safety of what I'm using now? At the moment I'm not sure.

No hurry to decide, and life would be boring without asking what-if questions. And right now it's mostly J-frame time anyway, for reasons explained in the other thread.
    Last edited by Salamander; 12-06-2018 at 03:10 AM.

User Tag List