Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell to Glock?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I like how I currently have 2 identical Glocks, but with the 642 being my primary, maybe what I really need to do is buy a 2nd 642 and only have one full-size gun.

I'm wide open guys, all input is appreciated.
    You are a good shooter. I wouldn't change a thing. A different full sized gun will not increase performance measurably.

What Gen Glock? My hand is very comparable to your description. I liked my gen 3 17, didn't really like the Gen 4 19. Picked up a gen 5 17 - love it! The gen 3 19's now feels completely archaic in my hand, like a kids toy that flew out of a law mower.

I shot 1911's quite a bit for a few years and picked up an LTT elite. Any time I go back to the 1911 it takes more work. The elite is gonna take a few thousand rounds to perfect the grip, grip angle, and TDA.

If you have the support gear a gen 5 17, 19x or 45 might be worth a look. You might get the performance you want and save some money on the ammo and gear needed to invest in a new platform.

Either way - if the Glock you have currently runs well it might be worth keeping if you can afford it.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Cross-posted from my response to your journal:

Further thoughts:

What is your primary shooting goal? Secondary, others? If you can refine those, then "let the mission drive the gear train", as it were.

The other thought I have is that Lawrence Fishburn meme: What if I told you it doesn't matter what gun you use?
    Thinking about this some more and to more specifically answer the thought exercise:

What is your primary shooting goal?
    To build and maintain skill with a variety of firearms such that I am adequately equipped to defend myself and loved ones from any number of bad things. I also enjoy hunting and general target shooting as a hobby and thus desire to perform at the highest level possible regarding speed, accuracy, and practicality. I tend to be a minimalist and prefer to do as much with the same thing as possible rather than having specialized tools for each task (ie, carry gun, competition gun, bullseye gun all the same as much as practically possible).

As I've said here already, I'm mostly living the J frame life for the forseeable future, but carrying a full-size gun (or at least, more full-size than a J-frame) on weekends, most often with a reload too is also reality.

As far as standards, 100 score (so 3.36in) on a B8 @ 25yds. "Combat rated." Whatever that means, but I think we all pretty much know what it means. Not a unicorn regarding mags, sights, holsters.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Get whatever else you want, but virtually every serious defensive shooter I know owns one or more Glock pistols and
    knows how to shoot and maintain them. Like it or not, it is a Glock world when it comes to defensive pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve always kept a battery of Glocks, similar to GJM I’ve found the Gen 5 19 and 19x/G45 serve my needs. I have all Gen 5’s now minus a G42.

I go back to them from time to time, flirting with TDA in between. The only constant in the last 10yrs or so has been Glocks and 1911’s.

If I was absolutely sure I was leaving the Glock platform, I’d still keep 2 Gen 5 19’s and the 42.

My vote would be the Beretta 92 for weekend shooting and competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally alternate theory, but why not ditch the J-Frame for a G43 or 42? I've found I can conceal those as well or better than a J-Frame and they offer more rounds, more powerful rounds, more shootability and faster reloads. Granted, I owned a J-Frame for a very short window of time and put maybe 200 rounds through it, but it definitely did nothing for me a G43 didn't also do better.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I’ve always kept a battery of Glocks, similar to GJM I’ve found the Gen 5 19 and 19x/G45 serve my needs. I have all Gen 5’s now minus a G42.

I go back to them from time to time, flirting with TDA in between. The only constant in the last 10yrs or so has been Glocks and 1911’s.

If I was absolutely sure I was leaving the Glock platform, I’d still keep 2 Gen 5 19’s and the 42.

My vote would be the Beretta 92 for weekend shooting and competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To me, “leaving Glock” means you pare down to just a 42, 43, 26, and two or three 19/45/19X pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Totally alternate theory, but why not ditch the J-Frame for a G43 or 42? I've found I can conceal those as well or better than a J-Frame and they offer more rounds, more powerful rounds, more shootability and faster reloads. Granted, I owned a J-Frame for a very short window of time and put maybe 200 rounds through it, but it definitely did nothing for me a G43 didn't also do better.
    As a single gun, I would take a 42, and definitely a 43, over any J frame for sights and a faster reload.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm going to copycat 45DotACP here. I have become a hardcore fanboy for the M2.0 the same way I was for the PX4 for years (and still am when it comes to hammer fired guns).

I have had better performance with my pair of M2.0s than anything else in my stable, period, full stop. I was unsure at first if it was a fluke, but every single range trip has been a marvelous showing from both of them. I think Smith has people so far in the "meh" column with the first-gen M&P (which I agree with, btw, I have one and "meh") that these guns are being to some extent overlooked for the P320 and Gen5 Glocks. I prefer it greatly to both.

Straying off topic for a second, I was vindicated at the range a little while back when I got some time with a Gen5 19. I knew the little half-moon cutout on the frontstrap would bother the heck out of me, was roundly pooh poohed, and it's true, I hated it and found it uncomfortable. I am sure that the Gen5s are Glock's best yet in terms of accuracy and finish, but for guys with big hands or my particular grip style, no thank you until they have a version without a front-of-slide cutout. Until then I'll stick with the Gen4s or Smith 2.0s.

Anyway. Try one of the new Smiths. mine have won over two skeptics with one range trip each. I'm not the only one who shoots these guns well.

And hey, if something else works better for your grip and your eyes and your preferences, go with that if it's vetted and from a reputable brand. I'm learning as the years go by that there's a line to walk between accepting the wisdom and input of SMEs - as you ought to - and being able to recognize the rare occasions when the advice that suits the majority doesn't suit you.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 12-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I’ve left Glock a few times over the last 25 years or so. Everyone should have a Glock or 2, even if they don’t use them as a primary carry. There are things they do well, and things that are better with other platforms. It’s a tool for when you need those attributes.

Site Supporter
    Come over to M&P 2.0. You can get great deals on them around Atlanta which facilitates having two. Mags are inexpensive also.

User Tag List